Worst Sabres Team Ever?

GASabresIUFAN

Worst Sabres Team Ever!  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Worst Sabres Team Ever?

• Yes
    • Probably
    • No, but most disappointing

If there is one move that I could reverse somehow during the dawn of the tank (pre Sam Reinhart) would be to have a guy like Botterill be the GM at that time instead of GMTM, who most of us thought was the right GM but was proven so wrong. We have the right GM now but we really needed him before the Sam Reinhart draft and beyond. The Sabres would be completely different and a playoff team by now.

We just need to be patient. Again. :wallbash:

I agree but why do I have the feeling that next Tuesday morning after nothing significant happens with deals poor Botterill will be hammered away at for not getting enough or not doing enough. Trade deadline day is exciting for fans and media to speculate and discuss then be let down about in most cases it seems.

I agree but why do I have the feeling that next Tuesday morning after nothing significant happens with deals poor Botterill will be hammered away at for not getting enough or not doing enough. Trade deadline day is exciting for fans and media to speculate and discuss then be let down about in most cases it seems.

So true but I don't think Sabres fans should expect the world this deadline.

JBot has shown so far he has a plan and is sticking to it. Drafted Middlestadt. Building up Rochester and the pipeline. Even a move like Colin Wilson was a decent pickup. Not every move a GM makes will be great, there will be some that just do not work out. Botterill inherited a messy situation and deserves time to clean it up. Just listen to a GMTM interview and a JBot interview. It is night and day in terms of a plan and intelligence level. I trust Botterill and can't wait to see how he fares in the off-season and draft in 2018.

If there is one move that I could reverse somehow during the dawn of the tank (pre Sam Reinhart) would be to have a guy like Botterill be the GM at that time instead of GMTM, who most of us thought was the right GM but was proven so wrong. We have the right GM now but we really needed him before the Sam Reinhart draft and beyond. The Sabres would be completely different and a playoff team by now.

We just need to be patient. Again. :wallbash:

We all (well, most of us) thought GMTM was the right GM at that time.   How do we know JBOT is the right GM?   I've seen this too many times to just assume he's going to push all the right buttons just because he's not GMTM.

Maybe he over values his own players?   Maybe he doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to give Housley an ultimatum?    Maybe he's not well liked around the league because of his condescending tone and the value he puts on his own players?     

Only time will tell.   

• 1 month later...

May not be the very worst (hard to top an intentional tank)  but easily among the worst 2 or 3.  

The most concerning thing to me is how much worse this year's record is than last's -   Eichel missed a big chunk of fall 2016 due to injury, and the off season moves were supposed to improve the team, not make it worse.   I don't recall anyone here at the forums (or in the media) predicting the 2017-18 Sabres were going to have a worse record than the Bylsma coached 2016-17 Sabres.   Most of this forum thought the record would be an improvement from last season.   And if it did get worse, did anyone think they'd post the WORST record in hockey in 2018?

Housley has all sorts of excuses available - some are lamer than others --- but how could anyone not be concerned to see the difference in the win loss record between the seasons?

At this stage, there is no concrete data to show that Housley was an upgrade from Bylsma.   Everyone HOPES he is,  but after a full season - there is scant proof he is.    Hard to not be thinking he's a downgrade, actually.  

Edited by Jsixspd

May not be the very worst (hard to top an intentional tank)  but easily among the worst 2 or 3.  

The most concerning thing to me is how much worse this year's record is than last's -   Eichel missed a big chunk of fall 2016 due to injury, and the off season moves were supposed to improve the team, not make it worse.   I don't recall anyone here at the forums (or in the media) predicting the 2017-18 Sabres were going to have a worse record than the Bylsma coached 2016-17 Sabres.   Most of this forum thought the record would be an improvement from last season.   And if it did get worse, did anyone think they'd post the WORST record in hockey in 2018?

Housley has all sorts of excuses available - some are lamer than others --- but how could anyone not be concerned to see the difference in the win loss record between the seasons?

At this stage, there is no concrete data to show that Housley was an upgrade from Bylsma.   Everyone HOPES he is,  but after a full season - there is scant proof he is.    Hard to not be thinking he's a downgrade, actually.  

Agree 100%.    At worst, Housley was supposed to have them on the verge of a playoff birth with increased scoring and unleashing the offensive potential of our defensemen.   They're actually much much worse overall than last season and scoring is down, while goals against are up.    They've already given up more goals than they did last season, and are 30 goals behind in goals for.     

In fact, Ristolainen has regressed significantly... he's on pace for his worst offensive output in 3 years, and his plus/minus has ballooned to a -17 after posting a -9 last season.       

Remember when everybody here was complaining about Bylsma's system and misuse of Risto as an excuse for his "measly" 40-45 pt output and -9 last season?    Housley comes in and Risto regresses... significantly....  and now everybody says Risto just isn't that good.... lol.   

The only players who look any better are Eichel and Reinhart who IMO are just naturally getting better as they mature.    I can't think of one player that has really excelled beyond expectations under Housley.

Edited by pi2000

Fold what? Fitted sheets? Those are tricky!

I don't get why people fold sheets, towels, underwear etc. What's the point.

As for Phil, everyone can see what we have. New thinking would cut the guy loose, but we're stuck in old school thinking where he needs some magical second season, and then you can fire him. It's just a matter of whether Botterill gets a second hire.

For the amount of talent they have on the team 

I think the amount of talent on the team is quite over rated. It's not a good hockey team, and the prospect pool is thin. Worst ever? No, as bad as they are they can be more entertaining to watch this year - sometimes. They were more boring and lethargic most of the time under Bylsma.

I don't get why people fold sheets, towels, underwear etc. What's the point.

As for Phil, everyone can see what we have. New thinking would cut the guy loose, but we're stuck in old school thinking where he needs some magical second season, and then you can fire him. It's just a matter of whether Botterill gets a second hire.

Are you married? My wife will lose her bats hit crazy mind if she pulls a bunch of crumpled sheets out of the drawer.

Bold move jumping ship to the 2011 Sabres :D

I jumped ship to Chicago, and now they're in last place...jumped ship to FSU, and they lost Fisher and they're starting QB...we haven't seen the playoffs since I've joined this board....

Toronto.

Say it with me...

My new favorite team is the Maple Leaf's.

????

Time to CLEAN HOUSE! (Again)

Yeah.  But there's no confidence that they just won't bring in different dirt - which has been the theme of 7 1/4 years of Pegula ownership.   

Let's not forget - the Wings have one of the worst records in hockey - they're a bottom ten team and for the last 45 minutes of game time, we made them look like a Cup Contender.  At home.  In front of fans expecting something with the Middlestadt debut. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.