DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Kyle gives great effort consistently, is a standup guy and has produced at his usual 50-plus point pace over the past two months.

Contract may come back to bite us, but I think Kyle’s start to the season weighs too heavy on too many people’s minds.

The guy could have died.

I think Blues Kessel take is actually perfect for O’Reilly and Kane.

Put them on a team with Malkin and Crosby and they will shine.

Hell, they shine here. But, like Kessel, they aren’t the guys you want leading the charge in the room.

Eleven, you have a ton of credibility with me.

Care to elaborate at all on what you’ve heard?

Basically, a guy who works with (think training/PT type stuff) a few Sabres told me that there are concerns about O'Reilly's speed and that they're looking to ship him out.  

Okposo kind of remind me of Vanek. His top speed is fine, but zilch for quickness.

Beer barrel shaped hockey players are not ever known for quickness. He's neither Get Back fast nor Breakout fast, so I'm not sure but he is good in the corners.

Beer barrel shaped hockey players are not ever known for quickness. He's neither Get Back fast nor Breakout fast, so I'm not sure but he is good in the corners.

TBH, I think being good in the corners is desperately needed on this team. Maybe more than speed. 

He's gotta be faster than Okposo

Yes, but no one is buying Okposo.

TBH, I think being good in the corners is desperately needed on this team. Maybe more than speed. 

I agree.  I think that Housley needs to adjust his system to his roster a bit.

Okposo kind of remind me of Vanek. His top speed is fine, but zilch for quickness.

He has more power than Vanek though.  Vanek was able to keep his feet while others were trying to "move the pile."  KO can "move the pile."  If there's a player in the way, he's one of the few Sabres that will push on through to get to the puck (or a desired position).

Rumors I heard from well-placed sources this morning:  Don't be surprised if O'Reilly is shipped out.

I have always thought its a good possibility.  A team is going to take him regardless of the speed issue.  There are teams who need center depth and faceoff help.  O'Reilly is the kind of player that can return significant value on the back end to jump start the D.  You know you have Mittelstadt coming and Eichel is your #1 center.  Even if it's one more year before you get your true #2 center into the organization, if you can shore up the D next year the team will improve.

That and I still believe Tavares ends up in Buffalo next year.  :)

@NicholsOnHockey

LeBrun: "I've spoken to a couple of teams that covet Evander Kane, that intend on making a play for him, and that would like to have him. None of them intend to include a first-round pick in their offer." #Sabres 1050

We gon' get f-u-c-k-e-d

nah, it will come down to the deadline and someone will blink. My guess is they'll get a low 1st and an overaged prospect, along with the conditional pick. 

If teams are only offering 2nd round picks right now, they're not serious about getting him right now. 

Edited by Lanny

@NicholsOnHockey

LeBrun: "I've spoken to a couple of teams that covet Evander Kane, that intend on making a play for him, and that would like to have him. None of them intend to include a first-round pick in their offer." #Sabres 1050

We gon' get f-u-c-k-e-d

It is as I expected. Teams want Kane because he looks good on paper, but they're all terrified it won't work out.

I look at the Kane trade and think Buffalo will get back three pieces.

1st piece - 1st rd pick, good prospect or good NHL player

2nd piece- 2nd rd pick, decent prospect or average NHL player

3rd piece- conditional first or second based him resigning.

Personally I could care less about draft picks and I want hockey players that will help this team this year and in the next few years. NHL draft picks can take so long to develop.

Anything less than that return and I’ll be disappointed.

We are going to get a 1st, a good prospect, a depth roster player and a conditional pick for Kane.  We may have to throw in a medium prospect and a later draft pick to make it work, but we will get the 4 pieces Jbot wants.

The deal could be Kane, Cornel and a 4th for the a 1st, a Good D prospect, a bottom 6 forward and a conditional 3rd in 2019.

11's reporting on ROR is quite interesting, and jibes with the theory that the Sabres will need to unload at least one of ROR, Reino and KO in order to get faster. 

Trading ROR would also open up significant cap space for taking a shot at Tavares, a good defenseman or some other piece, and would presumably help rebuild the prospects pipeline.

He's a good player, but I'm fine with moving him.

11's reporting on ROR is quite interesting, and jibes with the theory that the Sabres will need to unload at least one of ROR, Reino and KO in order to get faster. 

Trading ROR would also open up significant cap space for taking a shot at Tavares, a good defenseman or some other piece, and would presumably help rebuild the prospects pipeline.

He's a good player, but I'm fine with moving him.

Call me crazy, but that might be at the root of wanting to unload O'Reilly from a management strategy perspective.  My wishful thinking and personal bias at least hope that is the case.

At this point I'm numb to any potential deal... for anybody on the roster.     I still believe that coaching is the issue, not the players.    So any deal now for a top player will be a mistake IMO as their return will be low compared to what they're capable of under a normal work environment.     

@NicholsOnHockey

We gon' get f-u-c-k-e-d

I think the key word here is "intend".  I'm sure Nashville didn't "intend" on giving up a 1st rounder for Paul Gaustad either.  GMs be crazy at the deadline.

Seems like wishful thinking at this point...

Asked what his priority is in making a decision, Tavares said: “I want to stay on Long Island... I haven’t thought about being anywhere except with the Islanders.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/john-tavares-pending-free-agency-want-stay-long-island/