DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

I'm too busy letting the Devils and the Avalanche know that you can't turn the team around quickly when you finish at the bottom of the league.

Just because the Sabres, Oilers, and Coyotes have wildly incompetent leadership, that doesn't invalidate the strategy and rationale of rebuilding or the fact that you can turn your team around in 1 season with some smart moves and a little luck. Are we really supposed to base all of our beliefs on team strategy around what happens when your GM is worthless?

The devils spent years at the bottom with us and made good trades to crawl out. They also drafted well. The avalanche should have been good last year but had crappy coaching and Duchene in the room. This is exactly what we should be striving for. Building right and getting everyone playing on the same page.

The devils spent years at the bottom with us and made good trades to crawl out. They also drafted well. The avalanche should have been good last year but had crappy coaching and Duchene in the room. This is exactly what we should be striving for. Building right and getting everyone playing on the same page.

Totally agree.  But you need a good GM to architect the team.  Whether you want to rebuild (trade right now for the future), draft, trade future assets for immediate ones, free agency, etc., it all depends on having someone who knows what they're doing.  There isn't one absolute strategy that works but you need someone smart no matter what you're attempting.

That's why it's weird to bring up the Oilers/Coyotes/Sabres as 'proof' of anything.  Those teams have had objectively terrible leaders at the helm.  And before we attempted a full rebuild with the Tank, we tried other strategies that also failed.  What was the constant there?

Cliff Pu will not be a Sabre in 2018.

I can't say whether he'll be a Sabre next year or not, but, he was a clear standout last summer.

The Avs have the same coaching this year as last. They got rid of nearly all their over 30 vets. Soderberg is now their oldest player at 31.

Exactly, speed and young hunger are having an impact.

I can't say whether he'll be a Sabre next year or not, but, he was a clear standout last summer.

Exactly, speed and young hunger are having an impact.

I can. Cliff Pu will not be a Sabre when 2018 starts or Botterill has been lying to us.

The Avs have the same coaching this year as last. They got rid of nearly all their over 30 vets. Soderberg is now their oldest player at 31.

Even better reason to look at them. They dump Roy and the new coach takes a year to turn the team around. If Botterill executes things right we can be light years better.

And they did well to replace all the parts they let go. You gotta get lucky sometimes too. Like, Alex Kerfoot.. college FA who has 12 goals and 20 assists.

Maybe CJ Smith will be that player nobody is really putting a lot of expectations on who becomes a very valuable piece?

From LeBrun with an interview with David Poile

So when you size up the division, there could be three of four teams in the Central all making similar phone calls.

“Well we might be looking to do the exact same thing,” Poile said in sizing up his divisional counterparts and the trade deadline. “So it depends how much you want to pay for something.”

The Blues and Predators especially look like they might end up bidding on similar players, whether it’s the likes of Max Pacioretty, Mike Hoffman, Rick Nash, Evander Kane, Michael Grabner or other wingers that hit the trade market between now and Feb. 26.

There are two key things to consider when you’re a GM in that spot:

Can you allow yourself to get in a bidding war with a rival and risk overpaying for the players in question just to block that rival from getting that player?

And when do you strike?

“In some cases, you like to get out ahead of it,” said Poile. “But do you pay a premium to do that? Or do you get a bargain by waiting for the last hour before the trade deadline?”

In fact, the prices for rentals did drop in the final hours last year. But some years it’s the other way around.

https://eyesonisles.com/2018/01/28/new-york-islanders-pre-deadline-trade-proposal-mega-list/5/

any thoughts on:

Kane and Lehner for Dal Colle, Griess, Kulemin, Salo and a conditional 2nd

(Personally I don't like the trade. Dal Colle hasn't shown much since getting drafted and I don't like Salo's skating.)

Edited by SkuggaLiger

https://eyesonisles.com/2018/01/28/new-york-islanders-pre-deadline-trade-proposal-mega-list/5/

any thoughts on:

Kane and Lehner for Dal Colle(bust), Griess(terrible contract), Kulemin(cap dump), Salo and a conditional 2nd

(Personally I don't like the trade. Dal Colle hasn't shown much since getting drafted and I don't like Salo's skating.)

Terrible return for us

I'm too busy letting the Devils and the Avalanche know that you can't turn the team around quickly when you finish at the bottom of the league.

Just because the Sabres, Oilers, and Coyotes have wildly incompetent leadership, that doesn't invalidate the strategy and rationale of rebuilding or the fact that you can turn your team around in 1 season with some smart moves and a little luck. Are we really supposed to base all of our beliefs on team strategy around what happens when your GM is worthless?

so you can bring up 2 teams to say that tanking is worth doing (even though neither truly tanked, they just sucked because of poor management and financial reasons) but I can't name 2 teams who have done similar and still suck? Tanking is not the answer and never is, having good management I place that knows what they are doing is whats the key. The pens didnt turn it around until after they were gifted Crosby and saved from bankruptcy. The Blackhawks didn't do anything until the son took over as owner and started to spend. The Avs and devils both had to start making moves and trading some of the guys they acquired from drafting so high to get other talent. The oilers tried doing what the devils have done now and it hasn't worked because of poor management.

Finally turning things around after years of rebuilding/ sucking is not an argument that tanking is a smart move

It really seems like the bidding war for Kane will be with Nashville and St. Louis.

The Islanders don't need him.  They have no problem scoring right now.  It seems likely that Nashville is the primary choice as Housley knows the players that could be offered.

They have a problem keeping pucks out of their net.  They need a goaltender and they need one for more than this year.  Greiss is signed longer term and they can't feel confident with him.  They could use Lehner.  The question is what can the Islanders give up for him?  Certainly send Halak back in a trade.  The Sabres are fine with that as they just need a goaltender for the rest of the season, but who else do the Islanders provide?

Logically, the islanders don't need him and need goaltending, but it's snow in charge so there's a good chance their one big move will be acquiring Kane. It could work, just have to continue to score more then you can let in!

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that in any deal the Islanders are looking to make they are dangling Ho-Sang in it. Just sounds like someone they need to move on from. He has the potential but needs the supervision/guidance to help him mature so he wouldn't be a great candidate for here or to room with Kane (I can picture him as a Kane type clone where attitude/maturity is going to be the knock on him and hold him back)

any thoughts on:

Kane and Lehner for Dal Colle, Griess, Kulemin, Salo and a conditional 2nd

The Isles have Two First this year. Any deal with them has to include one of them

From Jeremy Rutherford

The Blues will be shopping for a top-nine forward, perhaps even a top six, prior to the NHL's trade deadline on Feb. 26. They've been rumored to be interested in Ottawa's Mike Hoffman, Montreal's Max Pacioretty and Buffalo's Evander Kane among others. All three could help the Blues' cause, but at what cost? As The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun pointed out in his piece Monday, several teams in the Central Divison will be interested in the same group of players, driving up the price. Hoffman ($5.2 million cap hit through 2019-20) and Pacioretty ($4.5 million cap hit through 2018-19) both have term left on their contracts beyond this season, so the Blues might be willing to give up more to acquire one of them. Kane ($5.25 million) is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent this summer, and the Sabres' asking price for him is said to be high. All of those teams are believed to have interest in the “Big Four” of Tage Thompson, Jordan Kyrou, Robert Thomas and Klim Kostin, so the Blues would have to decide where they'll draw the line. Furthermore, the Blues are projected to have about $1 million in cap space at the deadline, so GM Doug Armstrong would need to shed some salary and perhaps have a team retain salary to make any deal work. Another option that could come cheaper and not cost the Blues a top prospect is Edmonton's Patrick Maroon, who has a $2 million cap hit and will be a UFA next summer.

As far as St Louis goes, to me it would have to include Vince Dunn.  The other assets:  Kyrou and Thomas specifically would be great additions with top six potential.  As would Kostin on the wing.  However, Dunn would be the key addition.