DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

That's a great idea, but again what is the cost to acquire Hoffman?

This team dug itself into a deeper hole because GMTM attempted to accelerate the rebuild by trading too many draft picks with little positive results to show for it

Also in three seasons Casey and possibly their 2018 1st will need extensions.

If I'm Botterill I need to replenish the pipeline and see how the team looks next year before making any deals like this.

We're going to finish this season around 60 points, there's simply no reason to worry or think about this at all 

Our 2nd overall pick's extension that we worried about maybe being 6 mil is going to come in at under 2

We don't even know the name of that draft pick yet 

Hoffman is flawed, but his skating is outstanding and his 1-timer is unstoppable. Eichel loves coming in on the left boards and passing back to center.

Also, Okie is doing well in his spot on the PP, but imagine an elite left-handed shot over there. You wanna shade Eichel? Fine. Risto, tee up the guy with one of the quickest releases on one of the most accurate shots in the game.

Man, could you imagine being Risto on the peeper? Jack’s one-timer to his left, Hoffman’s one-timer to his right. He should trail only Karlsson in assists :P

Other than Drury and Briere (over 10 years ago) who is the pending FA that you wish we'd have re-signed instead of trading away?

Almost every season I have lamented at least one player traded away for a future that never arrives.

Then again, I don't understand the mentality of wishing for draft position over watching your home town team try to win games.

Edited by We've

Almost every season I have lamented at least one player traded away for a future that never arrives.

Then again, I don't understand the mentality of wishing for draft position over watching your home town team try to win games.

I still don't know who we're lamenting.  Gaustad?  Roy?  Ott?  Miller?  Vanek?  Aside from the magical Tyler Myers rookie season, the team has been miserable to watch since Black Sunday.

And letting the team bottom out and rebuilding is a fine strategy.  it sucks that we hired maybe the worst person possible to make it happen, but it's still the best way to go from perennial loser to contender.

Okay, who? Genuinely curious.

It's not the who.  It is the what for.  Players for picks has been close to a total bust.  And it should be expected that they would be busts.  2nd round picks just don't turn into the level of players we sent away very often.  Had they been actual hockey trades I would have supported the moves.

It's not the who.  It is the what for.  Players for picks has been close to a total bust.  And it should be expected that they would be busts.  2nd round picks just don't turn into the level of players we sent away very often.  Had they been actual hockey trades I would have supported the moves.

So, it's the concept of players who weren't coming back and what they might have done for the team (but really not, since they were gone. Either way) vs. the return, which was better than nothing. Got it.

So, it's the concept of players who weren't coming back and what they might have done for the team (but really not, since they were gone. Either way) vs. the return, which was better than nothing. Got it.

Not even close.

It''s the concept of trading players for draft picks with a less than 25% likelihood of becoming close to the level of player that moved in 3-4 years instead of trading them for already NHL players with a different mix of skills that can benefit the team now.

But you already know that.

Edited by We've

Not even close.

It''s the concept of trading players for draft picks with a less than 25% likelihood of becoming close to the level of player that moved in 3-4 years instead of trading them for already NHL players with a different mix of skills that can benefit the team now.

But you already know that.

But, and hear me out, aren't draft picks as compensation better than no compensation? We can quibble as to return, but it comes down to this. What player, or players if you can come up with more than one in recent history, has the team traded for picks, and only picks? And has the team been burned on the transaction?

We're going to finish this season around 60 points, there's simply no reason to worry or think about this at all 

Our 2nd overall pick's extension that we worried about maybe being 6 mil is going to come in at under 2

We don't even know the name of that draft pick yet

That’s a valid point, although the Sabres will still have ROR (age 28) at 7.5 Million and Okposo (age 31) at 6 Million when Hoffman would be an UFA at age 30. He makes 5.1 Million on his present deal, even if he signs at 6 Million, that’s 19.5 Million tied up in players who will be in decline in 2020.

Also assets are you giving up to acquire Hoffman when Dorion will probably be looking for futures?

We’ve would you sign Kane to an extension?

Yes, assuming he’s not a locker room problem. And if he is, my preference is not for a trade that involves picks, but I realize that his greatest market at the deadline is playoff teams that probably aren’t moving roster players.

IMO, if you weren’t signing Kane, you are doing a disservice to the team if you didn’t move him in the last offseason in a hockey trade. Deadline obtained picks are picks. They are at the wrong end of the round you got if you are going to replace a Kane level player. Deadline sales are downgrades in player that take 3-4 years to show up.

Yes, assuming he’s not a locker room problem. And if he is, my preference is not for a trade that involves picks, but I realize that his greatest market at the deadline is playoff teams that probably aren’t moving roster players.

IMO, if you weren’t signing Kane, you are doing a disservice to the team if you didn’t move him in the last offseason in a hockey trade. Deadline obtained picks are ###### picks. They are at the wrong end of the round you got if you are going to replace a Kane level player. Deadline sales are downgrades in player that take 3-4 years to show up.

This makes sense, another question is does Kane want to stay here. I believe we will never get an answer to that question or whether he is a locker room problem.

Trading him in the offseason or October/November would have most likely brought back established players, unfortunately is value probably increases closer to February 26th.

Hopefully a team is willing to give up a prospect who will be NHL Ready next year.

This makes sense, another question is does Kane want to stay here. I believe we will never get an answer to that question or whether he is a locker room problem.

Trading him in the offseason or October/November would have most likely brought back established players, unfortunately is value probably increases closer to February 26th.

Hopefully a team is willing to give up a prospect who will be NHL Ready next year.

Disagree on both bolded points.

Since it became obvious he's getting traded, his play has significantly deteriorated. It's either because he doesn't want to leave or can't wait to leave.

And, if he was THE dressing room cancer, it'll be fairly obvious after he's gone (both in play of the rest of the team & things that are said by the various parties involved) IMHO.

Disagree on both bolded points.

Since it became obvious he's getting traded, his play has significantly deteriorated. It's either because he doesn't want to leave or can't wait to leave.

And, if he was THE dressing room cancer, it'll be fairly obvious after he's gone (both in play of the rest of the team & things that are said by the various parties involved) IMHO.

Not necessarily. Neither Kane, His Agent, Botterill, Housley or The Pegulas will say exactly what occurred during this period . There have been reports that no offer was made by the Sabres, now is this because Kane said he is not interested, did Botterill and Housley want to move on, or did The Pegulas say get him out of here because the incident at the Draft in 2016. By all accounts they were pissed about this.

After the deadline the team might play better as the questions over who is being moved will be settled. Teams in transition like the Sabres generally do.

I do expect Hamilton to share what actually went down in the room shortly after locker clean out day. I expect both Kane and Lehner to be named the poster boys for the dysfunction.

From watching the post game celebration after Calgary and EDM, it's obvious Jack and Lehner have a strained relationship.

Decent discussion re: ROR for Hanifin over on HFBoards. It's mostly Canes fans saying no. Surprisingly it isn't ROR's cap hit, but rather his 2-way game that dissuades them. They want an offensive-minded gunner to play alongside Skinner. Defensive responsibility be damned! 

What says you, Sabres fans? 

The Bar Incident at Bottoms Up where he allegedly grabbed a woman by the neck, it happened the night before the draft and shifted media attention. The Pegulas were quite livid about it.

Ooooo yea.  I forgot that happened at draft time. 

Decent discussion re: ROR for Hanifin over on HFBoards. It's mostly Canes fans saying no. Surprisingly it isn't ROR's cap hit, but rather his 2-way game that dissuades them. They want an offensive-minded gunner to play alongside Skinner. Defensive responsibility be damned! 

The issue with trading ROR is we do not yet know who would replace him.  The leading contender is Casey Mittelstadt but he is a 19yr old Freshmen in college.  Would I trade ROR for Hanifin, probably. He would instantly upgrade the top 4 defense.  

ROR for Hanifin? I would personally drive ROR to the airport, thank him for his efforts, and welcome Hanifin with open arms

Well, this is Buffalo...

More from TSN

Kyrou, 19, becomes the first player in recent memory to join the board as a prospect. He has been on fire for the Sarnia Sting after helping Team Canada to gold at the World Junior Hockey Championship earlier this month in Buffalo.

Kyrou collected 11 points in just three contests last week for OHL Sarnia as the Sting halted Sault Ste. Marie’s points streak at 29 games. He has 23 goals and 73 points in just 35 OHL games this season.

So, why would the Blues want to move a blossoming 35th overall pick?

Well, the short answer is, they don’t. But in order to get, you must give. The Blues are in the market for an impact winger ahead of the Feb. 26 trade deadline. If they were to pursue a player like Buffalo’s Evander Kane, who remains No. 1 on the board and a potential strong fit, it’s possible that Kyrou could be part of some sort of package to make that happen.

Plus, the Blues’ three first-round picks from 2016 and 2017 – Tage Thompson, Robert Thomas and Klim Kostin – all play centre. Thompson, 20, has five points in 19 games for the Blues this season.

The arms race is on in the Central Division.

Kane remains at Number 1 Samson is 25, Lehner is 28.