GDT: Sabres VS Vancouver, 7 pm ET, 20/10/17

MODO Hockey

I don’t think they are that bad. If the effort was there and we were still losing I would say they are scary bad. But when you know they can bring more than what they our showing that is what is upsetting. I’m not sure if they don’t like Housley system or what.

If you think the effort will magically improve itself at this point... well.

What chaps my hindquarters more than anything else... this Canucks team got absolutely mauled by the same Bruins team the Sabres are playing, well, tonight at this point. It was fairly obvious that they were running the full 1994 NJ Devils trap. There were no answers. None. The answer is, of course, do what you did on the first goal, skate and pass... I’m starting to wonder if anyone has any idea what’s going on.

I jumped out for a couple games -  disgusted with what I saw.   During that span, a win, and an OTL. 

This is a BAD start to a season.  Terry Pegula took a +.500 team that frequently made the postseason, and turned it into perennial bottom dwellers.  There doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Yeah, they're still learning the new system and each other  - that must be it.  Uh-huh!    So how does a brand new team like Vegas end up 5-1?   And beat the Sabres?  They don't seem to be having any trouble 'learning the new system'   Tired excuse is tired.  

22 total shots on goal - and tellingly, only 9 in the 3rd period;   not much of an effort to try to even up the score, was it?  

After almost 7 years of Pegula's  hand on the helm, just waiting for the Sabres to hit .500   - that would make me happy - forget about playoffs, just .500     

You're blaming this on the Pegulas?

Another bad game (that I just got done watching on delay). Other than Jack’s goal, Duffer and Dunlevy’s Tragically Hip reference contest was the most entertaining part of the game.

That Sabres are bad. Scary bad.

Of course, it could be worse. We could be Montreal...

only a couple of years removed from this

The worst part is that when I moved out here, I knew I was going to have very little free time, so I vowed that this would be my only hobby. I have enough time for Sabres hockey so long as it is the only thing that gets my free time. 

So now on a day where I can truly relax for the first time in two months, I'm sitting here staring at a wall wanting to hit my head on it, and I can't turn on cable and watch a show or a movie, and i can't play a video game, any of the mind-numbing stuff I used to rely on, because I didn't/couldn't invest any time and money into that stuff, because I chose the Sabres.

I could be more like Martha.

222.jpg

Get a new hobby.  Something more productive and more under your direct control.

There's lots to choose from.

This team is not worth your precious free time.  Hasn't been in at least 5 years.

If they beat Boston tommorow I would be shocked.

I fully expect them to beat Boston.....that's the Buffalo style. Play a great game, give us slight hope, only to lose the next 4 straight. Same , different year with this team. They got swept by the Bruins last year, so I think they will win tonight and then go back to total suckage. Just seems right, as to what I'm used to.

I think there might be a game 7 in the ALCS that I might be interested in watching instead. Not sure who I hate more......Marchand or Altuve.

Edited by Claude Balls

I really did have a great time with my daughter last night and she loved it. I have fully accepted that this a bottom 5 team and will need a few more years.

I really could not believe how terrible they still look. After Housley laid in to them and to see the worst performance of the year is....wow, I mean wow, this is worse than the tank.

I really did have a great time with my daughter last night and she loved it. I have fully accepted that this a bottom 5 team and will need a few more years.

Man do I hate hearing this, about both Buffalo teams. Just need a few more years. It's always a few more years. Getting sick of that .

Glad your daughter had a great time though. That's what really matters.

It also helps when you have Babcock, Shanahan and Lou.

The Leafs made it happen. They didn't fall into their lap.

Meanwhile, with all the money in the world and a supposed commitment to excellence, to run his team Terry landed on Darcy Regier, Ken Sawyer, accountant Cliff Benson, TV evangelist Ted Black, Craig Patrick, Joe Battista, Pat LaFontaine (after offering him GM spot and being told "I'm not qualified," first-time GM Tim Murray, first-time GM Jason Botterill (who brought along first-time head coach Phil Housley, who brought along an AHL assistant to run his defense).

Why doesn't Terry want someone with experience and a good track record? The answer is obvious to me.

You do know that Terry tried to hire Babcock, but his wife preferred the Toronto lifestyle. Terry's trying to rebuild the downtown, but it's never going to be Toronto.

I really wish we wouldn't have to keep relitigating this. Babcock was never, never, never, never, never, never, under no circumstances, ever, ever, ever coaching the Sabres. He leveraged that offer into the last three dimes he could squeeze out of Toronto. All he was interested in. Had lottery balls been different then so would a lot of other things, but alas.

Anyway, I expect a better effort tonight culminating in a loss thanks to a late Lenny softie. And so it goes.

The Leafs made it happen. They didn't fall into their lap.

Meanwhile, with all the money in the world and a supposed commitment to excellence, to run his team Terry landed on Darcy Regier, Ken Sawyer, accountant Cliff Benson, TV evangelist Ted Black, Craig Patrick, Joe Battista, Pat LaFontaine (after offering him GM spot and being told "I'm not qualified," first-time GM Tim Murray, first-time GM Jason Botterill (who brought along first-time head coach Phil Housley, who brought along an AHL assistant to run his defense).

Why doesn't Terry want someone with experience and a good track record? The answer is obvious to me.

Like Bylsma?

You do know that Terry tried to hire Babcock, but his wife preferred the Toronto lifestyle. Terry's trying to rebuild the downtown, but it's never going to be Toronto.

I really wish we wouldn't have to keep relitigating this. Babcock was never, never, never, never, never, never, under no circumstances, ever, ever, ever coaching the Sabres. He leveraged that offer into the last three dimes he could squeeze out of Toronto. All he was interested in. Had lottery balls been different then so would a lot of other things, but alas.

Anyway, I expect a better effort tonight culminating in a loss thanks to a late Lenny softie. And so it goes.

Point remains, Pegula tried hard to land him.

I brought my girl, her daughter and fiance to the game, had a wonderful time. To bad they lost, but seeing them in person here is what I noticed, for what its worth......

Passing, sloppy passing. And I mean terribly sloppy. Especially in their own end and trying to break out.

Puck possession battles. They lose 9 out of every 10 puck possession battles. Its crazy, but they lose races to pucks, they lose control very easily.

Hemmed in their own zone, they get pinned in their own end for long periods of time. End of 1st half of 2nd periods I don't believe jacks line left their zone but twice.

Risto, his play is hot then cold. He needs to use his body more and his puck handling skills to help the breakouts, he's holding back, why?

Just some of the things I observed. This team looks terrible for 45 minutes or so of a game.

Oh jeez. It's either what Sabres79 says, which is plausible, or Babcock took a look around the dysfunctional organization and a close look at Pegula and said no thanks. Maybe he wanted more power than punk Murray was willing to give. I don't think it was his wife.

As for Terry trying to rebuild the downtown, are you serious? Are people serious when they give him that much credit? Man, Cliff Benson was smart when he encouraged Terry to build that donut shop. It has paid dividends over and over.

Yes. Further, it should not be held against TPegs that he didn't land him.

What should be held against Terry is that he wants it both ways. He tried to land Babcock then, according to him, he just threw up his hands and let Murray hire Bylsma. Terry was nowhere to be seen when that process was ongoing, I guess.

WGR post game fb headline

"Canucks stun Sabres 4-2"

Really, who is actually stunned? I sure as hell am not. I'll be stunned when the Sabres win two games in a row and look good doing it.

:w00t:

Buffalo media have always overrated the teams here. Big fish in a little pond thing? There's an arrogance surrounding the teams that is not warranted.

Here's how the Sabres are viewed in the real world:

Yeah, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but this winning you're enjoying will eventually stop. It would be great if the Knights could play half their games against the Buffalo Sabres and Arizona Coyotes all season but eventually the schedule will have fewer freebies and the losses will mount.

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/mb3jvn/vegas-golden-knights-fans-have-it-better-than-any-fan-base-in-the-nhl

To paraphrase Walter White and WildCard: we are the ones who stun.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.