So what is Jbot’s plan for the Sabres?

GASabresIUFAN

It's a sad reality, and I too was hoping a system change and a few new guys on D would be a big improvement but from what they have shown, showing some of them the door is looking like the only real solution. Any kind of tinkering and hoping will simply prolong the agony. 

I was thinking about what I'd do with the Sabres right now.  My instinct is not to do anything major until mid-season.  I want to see how Asplund, Guihle, Ullmark, Mittelstadt and Nylander are progressing to help me determine if it will be necessary to keep Kane and Lehner beyond this season.  I also want to see how the Sabres themselves are progressing. If the team is still near the bottom of the East, then I'll start moving out players.  My first two sales are Lehner and Kane.  Someone mentioned trading Kane to LV for Shea Theodore.  I'd make that deal in a second.  LV has so many NHL D because of expansion, 10 at last count; if I were Jbot, I'd make some move with them.

My hope for next year is that Ullmark, Guhle and Nylander move into the lineup with Asplund and Mittelstadt knocking on the door.

JBot's plan is going to become weeding out the problems and getting rid of them. Dismantling is in our future unless there is a really quick change.

I disagree.  As advertised, the change will come through Rochester.  We're stuck with the Sabres we had, but the current and next generation of prospects will be properly trained and seasoned on Rochester.  Yeah, Eichel made the jump right to the NHL, but the days of pushing guys like Grigorenko and Hodgson up to the NHL before they're ready are over.  The plan will come to fruition.... through Rochester.  The job of Housley at the NHL level is the instill the system and the proper discipline in the Sabres and get them thinking they can win.  The actual winning part comes when the Rochester prospects displace the placeholders on the Sabres roster.

This process will not happen in the near future.  There may be an improvement, but if there will no "Dismantling is in our future unless there is a really quick change."

Edited by Doohickie

I disagree.  As advertised, the change will come through Rochester.  We're stuck with the Sabres we had, but the current and next generation of prospects will be properly trained and seasoned on Rochester.  Yeah, Eichel made the jump right to the NHL, but the days of pushing guys like Grigorenko and Hodgson up to the NHL before they're ready are over.  The plan will come to fruition.... through Rochester.  The job of Housley at the NHL level is the instill the system and the proper discipline in the Sabres and get them thinking they can win.  The actual winning part comes when the Rochester prospects displace the placeholders on the Sabres roster.

This process will not happen in the near future.  There may be an improvement, but if there will no "Dismantling is in our future unless there is a really quick change."

Agreed. There aint gonna be no tear down.

They might be forced to trade Kane because of CBA realities.

But JBot will be focused on slow and steady improvement through incremental trades and signings, as well as player development.

Agreed. There aint gonna be no tear down.

They might be forced to trade Kane because of CBA realities.

But JBot will be focused on slow and steady improvement through incremental trades and signings, as well as player development.

I agree that JBott will be methodical and deliberate and we won't see a GMTM burn-it-to-the-ground approach.  But I also think that he isn't going to feel married to guys like Risto or Reino if he thinks he can improve the team by moving them.  (However, I think the most likely outcome is that Howie coaxes enough out of each of them, and that there wouldn't be enough value coming back in trade, so that the Sabres keep both of them.)

I agree that JBott will be methodical and deliberate and we won't see a GMTM burn-it-to-the-ground approach.  But I also think that he isn't going to feel married to guys like Risto or Reino if he thinks he can improve the team by moving them.  (However, I think the most likely outcome is that Howie coaxes enough out of each of them, and that there wouldn't be enough value coming back in trade, so that the Sabres keep both of them.)

Yes, this is what I'm saying too.

He'll be more than willing to trade good players for other good players.

But he's not going to be dumping good players for picks and prayers.

Hodgson was pushed up to the NHL too early? :huh:

Bad Canucks! Naughty Canucks! Bad, bad!! :lol:

The time line is 2-3 years. Timeline to make the playoffs, idk ask me in December. 

I am starting to realize I am more relaxed about the start to this season because it is almost exactly what I would have predicted, minus the league leading short handed goals thing. Sloppy at times, seem confused, still learning the system, inconsistent.  Sums what I thought they would look like. Glad to see as we reach game 10 that they are figuring certain things out. 

The time line is 2-3 years. Timeline to make the playoffs, idk ask me in December. 

I am starting to realize I am more relaxed about the start to this season because it is almost exactly what I would have predicted, minus the league leading short handed goals thing. Sloppy at times, seem confused, still learning the system, inconsistent.  Sums what I thought they would look like. Glad to see as we reach game 10 that they are figuring certain things out. 

Same here, i am in a happier place than i was after the devils and islanders games but starting to realise what botterill is doing here and the players are starting to get there slowly with the new system

This is pretty optimistic, since they are 1-6 and were publicly lambasted by their coach for poor effort in a loss to an expansion team.

This is pretty optimistic, since they are 1-6 and were publicly lambasted by their coach for poor effort in a loss to an expansion team.

And still managed to salvage an OTL.  Technically they are 1-4-2 which, while not great, is better than 1-6 and puts them tied with NYR and above MTL and ARZ.

Tack onto that three of their losses are against teams that are in the top 6 in the standings (NJ, LAK, VEG) and the picture changes even more.  Now, take into consideration that they gave up 3 PP goals to the Kings which is actually uncharacteristic for the team.

So is it really that bad?

And still managed to salvage an OTL.  Technically they are 1-4-2 which, while not great, is better than 1-6 and puts them tied with NYR and above MTL and ARZ.

Tack onto that three of their losses are against teams that are in the top 6 in the standings (NJ, LAK, VEG) and the picture changes even more.  Now, take into consideration that they gave up 3 PP goals to the Kings which is actually uncharacteristic for the team.

So is it really that bad?

Thanks for keeping the lights on

I don't think everyones PP will go 100% or 3 for 3 and I don't believe that everyone we play will get a 1-3 short handed goals against us. Oh no, they lost to vegas, how many teams did we beat when we sucked for McEichel? I bet those teams folded into little balls of emotions and wept too. 

OK, so while everyone wants to burn this thing to the ground right now, I think patience and a deliberate approach is called for.

Playoffs aren’t happening this year. We as fans need to accept that and understand that the team needs to use this season to figure out who is going to be part of the solution next year and beyond. For those who aren’t, the team needs to maximize the return they get for them.

That means no knee-jerk trade of Risto or Reino out of a desperate desire to light a fire under these guys. And no firing Howie or bringing in Lindy or Tippet as an assistant or consultant.

Between now and the deadline, Howie and JBott are going to figure out who can be coached up and who can’t, who burns to win and who doesn’t, and who can make a difference.

In the meantime, there are going to be plenty of losses.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.