So what is Jbot’s plan for the Sabres?

GASabresIUFAN

LTS, you need help with your facts. TP took over at the end of Jan 2011, the team’s last playoff season. He kept Regier, he approved the tank, he hired Patty, and he hired TM etc.. The six straight seasons without a playoff appearance are on him. He should have dumped Regier that first off-season, put together a real hockey program and built stability then, not 6 years later.

Yeah I agree on TP being at the centre of this teams ineptitude. He's the boss.

Edited by bunomatic

LTS, you need help with your facts. TP took over at the end of Jan 2011, the team’s last playoff season. He kept Regier, he approved the tank, he hired Patty, and he hired TM etc.. The six straight seasons without a playoff appearance are on him. He should have dumped Regier that first off-season, put together a real hockey program and built stability then, not 6 years later.

I appreciate that. the original discussion point spoke of ten years of failure so I was going of that.

I might have misspoke about playoffs. Honestly don't keep track of that stuff. It's in the past.

Part of that (lack of) speed speed is mental.  I think through the first handful of games, the players were thinking the new system too much and hesitating before acting.  As they get comfortable with it, the only limit on their speed will be the physical.

Edited by Doohickie

But you can move the puck (with control) only as fast as your feet get you there. The alternative is dump and chase.

. Or pass... Why do you think so few guys can beat out a grounder going to first... same concept.. wink my iphone emoji’s dont translate.. Edited by North Buffalo

That's what I meant:  You can only move the puck as fast as you (the guy who's going to receive a pass) can get there.

Ok but if you space properly and pass well you can move the puck faster than guys can get to new positions is all I’m saying... the idea for the really good teams is to that they do both... skate well and move the puck well... up ice I agree... side to side puck moves faster...

I agree.  Pouliot is playing horrible.  Baloo has made too many mental errors. At this rate we'll be very active at trade deadline with guys like Fasching, Bailey and Guhle coming up to play.  Actually think Fasching and Bailey would be better than Moulson and Reinhart.  Gorges being a FA is all but a goner at deadline.

On average, maybe, but that's only with Moulson dragging Reinhart down. You're going to have to be pretty persuasive to convince me that either of those two players that couldn't crack the team coming out of camp are better than a guy with 40 goals and 80+ points in his first two years in the league. I might even go so far as to say Samson will have more points and goals than those two combined this year.

You're right! Six games and 1 point with a minus 8, I wonder what number he will wear in the allstar game?

Reinhart has scored in as many games as McDavid has... (I love spinning stats).

McDavid hasn't scored in his last 5 games.  Is he no longer invited to the All-Star game?

Marner is on the Leafs 4th line, he's washed up.

Just argue the point that Liger made... he hasn't struggled the past 2 games.  There is probably a reason he excluded the first 4 games as I don't think anyone can make an argument to support that he didn't suck in them.  In addition, it could just be that the coach was misusing the player relative to his strengths since he's performed better being at wing over center.  A much debated point on this board.  So, do you blame a player for not performing when the coach has him in the wrong position?

Let's put Auston Matthews on defense and then discuss his hockey skills.

--------------------------

In other news, reading the Justin Bailey article was cool.  I think it's telling the atmosphere that Botterill has brought to the team when you hear Bailey say the message for him being sent down was significantly different than the one he received from Murray.  The more we hear the more we can begin to recognize that the Murray/Bylsma show was built on just beating players over the head with the paddle of hard knocks and hoping they came out stronger because of it.  The truly old school method as opposed to the more interpersonal methods that are required these days when dealing with players.

Good to hear.

Reinhart has scored in as many games as McDavid has... (I love spinning stats).

McDavid hasn't scored in his last 5 games.  Is he no longer invited to the All-Star game?

Marner is on the Leafs 4th line, he's washed up.

Just argue the point that Liger made... he hasn't struggled the past 2 games.  There is probably a reason he excluded the first 4 games as I don't think anyone can make an argument to support that he didn't suck in them.  In addition, it could just be that the coach was misusing the player relative to his strengths since he's performed better being at wing over center.  A much debated point on this board.  So, do you blame a player for not performing when the coach has him in the wrong position?

Let's put Auston Matthews on defense and then discuss his hockey skills.

--------------------------

In other news, reading the Justin Bailey article was cool.  I think it's telling the atmosphere that Botterill has brought to the team when you hear Bailey say the message for him being sent down was significantly different than the one he received from Murray.  The more we hear the more we can begin to recognize that the Murray/Bylsma show was built on just beating players over the head with the paddle of hard knocks and hoping they came out stronger because of it.  The truly old school method as opposed to the more interpersonal methods that are required these days when dealing with players.

Good to hear.

Did I miss this Justin Bailey article?

I'm still holding out hope for Reinhart at center, but given his play the last two games compared to the shitshow that was the first 4 games, i'm willing to give a little ground on that stance.

Did I miss this Justin Bailey article?

I'm still holding out hope for Reinhart at center, but given his play the last two games compared to the shitshow that was the first 4 games, i'm willing to give a little ground on that stance.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/bailey-has-right-attitude (linked on front page)

Many thought Bailey would be mad he got sent down, but he said he had a much more positive exit interview than he ever had with Tim Murray, "In years past, two training camps ago, the message wasn't the same and for me it was great to hear that. I felt like I gave them everything I could and I didn't have any regrets, so for me it was all positive."

"Everything in the exit meeting was positive, Jason [botterill] and coach [Phil] Housley both told me they liked how I had my camp and to go down there and work on the little things and earn my way back up here."

I would hope that they're knocking on the door of the Wings concerning the Athanasiou situation. Vegas is not a super fast team, and our guys not named Jack and Kane couldn't handle them in OT.

That was as much in their head as anything.  They let the Golden Idols bring it to them.  Too much gap.

JBot's plan is going to become weeding out the problems and getting rid of them. Dismantling is in our future unless there is a really quick change.

If we have to fully undue what TM did, then this team is SOL for at least this season and next.  Not good.  I don't necessarily disagree by the way, especially when you look at the pipeline and the number of RFA/UFAs this season.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.