Nicolas Deslauriers traded to MON for Zach Redmond

sabills

Isn't Montreal hurting on defensive depth? They traded their blue chip prospect for Drouin, Emelin was drafted by Vegas, Markov went to the KHL, Baloo is here. Did they bring anyone in?

I don't get this move from their perspective (other than knowing they love their hometown french-speakers) but I like it from our perspective.

Montreal, is dummmmmb.  Also it is an AHL guy so he probably wasn't going to be in the NHL anyways. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Any idea how many games of pro experience this Redmond guy has? We opened up a few AHL vet slots since GA did this analysis.

GASabresFan, on 19 Sept 2017 - 3:12 PM, said:snapback.png

Sexton and Jbot are smart guys and it is already showing in some very subtle ways.  

I looked at our potential roster for the AHL to see who might slot where, thinking this would give me an idea of which vets we could send down to the AHL and play them.  The AHL is a developmental league and has veteran rules.  According to the AHL, each team can dress only 5 players with more then 320 pro game experience (including NHL, AHL, ECHL, KHL and other Euro elite league if the player was over 19), 1 player with more then 260 games but less then 320 and 12 players with 260 games or under.

The Sabres have 12 prospects that have under 260 games.  Bailey, Fasching, ERod, Baptiste, Cornel, Karabacek, Smtih, Nelson, Stephens, Martin, Guhle, Nylander, plus recent signees Danforth and Criscuolo.  Furthermore, and this is where Sexton and Jbot show their skills, they signed KHL vet Steve Moses.  Moses only has 228 games of pro experience, therefore can be slotted into one of the developmental slots.  Smart.
The Sabres two semi vets that slot into the 260-320 game catagory in Griffith (261) and Tennyson (283).
The Sabres have also inked 4 vets Porter and Paetsch (500 games plus each+), Fedun (331), and Josefson (338). plus have Goloubef (348) on a PTO.  

Granted prospects can take up all 18 skater slots each net, but it looks like the Sabres may have room to send 1-2 guys down and give them PT.  However with Paetsch, Fedun and Tennyson already slotted top play in the AHL, if anyone NHL vet gets sent down it will likely be a forward.  Delo maybe, but most likely Josefson if Reinhart is the 3rd line center.  Sorry to say Gorges and Moulson and their 8.9 mill in unproductive cap space are destined for the Sabres.

Looks like if Griffith is making the Sabres, that opens up one of the semi-vet 260-320 game slots, which might be where this new dman fits in.

and Goloubef was released and didn't make the team.

Any idea how many games of pro experience this Redmond guy has? We opened up a few AHL vet slots since GA did this analysis.

GASabresFan, on 19 Sept 2017 - 3:12 PM, said:snapback.png

Looks like if Griffith is making the Sabres, that opens up one of the semi-vet 260-320 game slots, which might be where this new dman fits in.

and Goloubef was released and didn't make the team.

328 pro games by my crappy adding skills

edit: I must have fat fingered the wrong key.  It's 320 exactly

Edited by shrader

It is a bit strange that both guys cleared waivers and then were traded for each other. 

Does anyone know if there are any cap consequences for trading vs picking up on waivers that might've played a role in that decision?

Not that it really matters.

thanks Shrader. I trust your crappy adding skills.

So he fills the vet opening from dumping Goloubef

320 even actually.  I edited it above.

It is a bit strange that both guys cleared waivers and then were traded for each other. 

Does anyone know if there are any cap consequences for trading vs picking up on waivers that might've played a role in that decision?

If both teams want the guy in the minors, they're better off waiting for them to clear.  They can't get sent down until they've cleared through all 30 teams.  At the point where they can make the claim, they don't know if the player is going to clear through everyone else.

If both teams want the guy in the minors, they're better off waiting for them to clear.  They can't get sent down until they've cleared through all 30 teams.  At the point where they can make the claim, they don't know if the player is going to clear through everyone else.

So maybe he does fill the veteran spot that Griffith was previously penciled in for. Makes more sense now.

I think that both guys clear waivers = both guys go straight to the AHL. It was noted upthread that the deal may have been agreed perviously and finalized once they both cleared. Sounds logical.

I think that both guys clear waivers = both guys go straight to the AHL. It was noted upthread that the deal may have been agreed perviously and finalized once they both cleared. Sounds logical.

Good call gents.  Thanks.

Yep. & this way nobody (e.g. Boston or TO) f###s w/ them by making a claim just to screw w/ 2 division rivals. Which they'd do by making a claim on either guy.

Nah, in this nhl nobody has to drop their gloves to defend themselves any more. Jack isn't soft and will be able to take care of himself no problem. Nylander might need some help, but that's a future issue. 

It might not be needed but it's still nice to have.  I'd much rather have someone else spend that two minutes in the box (you're right, no dropped gloves) than Jack.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.