OT: Great Cheeses of the World

ubkev

Anyone that's grown up on the NY/Quebec border will know what I'm talking about when I say "squeaky cheese please". The squeakier the better. Doesn't melt on the fries and get mixed with the gravy, stringing its way from plate to fork and back again.

Anyone that's grown up on the NY/Quebec border will know what I'm talking about when I say "squeaky cheese please". The squeakier the better. Doesn't melt on the fries and get mixed with the gravy, stringing its way from plate to fork and back again.

They gots squeaky cheese curds here too.  And they are glorious.

They gots squeaky cheese curds here too. And they are glorious.

There's some really good ones around but just not the same. My brother gets an 8lbs bag every week through a local dairy co-op. They are sooooo friggin good. For my own health I'm glad they're so far away.

There's some really good ones around but just not the same. My brother gets an 8lbs bag every week through a local dairy co-op. They are sooooo friggin good. For my own health I'm glad they're so far away.

My family is from the Watertown area.  I definitely know the joy of good curds. 

Valley View Cheese Factory in Conewango has been a staple in my family for years.

Not fancy or sophisticated, but many tasty and interesting locally made cheeses. I try to get back there when I visit but I usually only make it once a year.

They make it on site, in the heart of Western New York dairy country. Amish shop there regularly and I have even had an Amish watchmaker repair my antique Fredonia Watch Company pocket watch for cheese from Valley View as barter.

Valley View Cheese Factory in Conewango has been a staple in my family for years.

Not fancy or sophisticated, but many tasty and interesting locally made cheeses. I try to get back there when I visit but I usually only make it once a year.

They make it on site, in the heart of Western New York dairy country. Amish shop there regularly and I have even had an Amish watchmaker repair my antique Fredonia Watch Company pocket watch for cheese from Valley View as barter.

Duly noted.

You can keep your fancy sophisticated cheeses. They're good but not necessarily the best anymore. There's a lot of old family recipes/cultures that have been reborn in recent years. I grew up on McAdams cheese from Chateaugay which is a fine product. There are all sorts of mom n pop dairies that are using co-op and the internet for business up North nowadays. My brother deals with a lot of them through work and always has samples from this one or the other when I visit. The best poutine I've ever had was in Malone, NY. I can't remember the name of the small maker of the curds but they were incredible. As a side note: they also only use homemade beef gravy on their poutine. Well, anyone that wants to make it the right way.

I had this cheese in Ireland, it was goat cheese with garlic and nettle!! I'm not sure what crack was in it, and I'm not a goat cheese fan... But needless to say I flew across the Atlantic with some vacuum packed hunks if cheese in my carry on!

Also my French toast here this AM had maple,berries and marscspone cheese on it and it was to die for!

I dont mind a Colby jack or provolone for basic dancing.

Brie is great for Shakespeare in the park with wine.

Extra sharp white cheddar, yummy

And any mozzarella, especially fresh on a caprese! I'm all in

I had this cheese in Ireland, it was goat cheese with garlic and nettle!! I'm not sure what crack was in it, and I'm not a goat cheese fan... But needless to say I flew across the Atlantic with some vacuum packed hunks if cheese in my carry on!

Also my French toast here this AM had maple,berries and marscspone cheese on it and it was to die for!

I dont mind a Colby jack or provolone for basic dancing.

Brie is great for Shakespeare in the park with wine.

Extra sharp white cheddar, yummy

And any mozzarella, especially fresh on a caprese! I'm all in

Mascarpone is the most underrated of the Italian cheeses.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.