OT: Great Cheeses of the World

ubkev

Let's hear it. What's everyone's favorite cheeses?

I'd have to start off with

1. Mozzarella (whole milk, of course)

2. Extra sharp cheddar

3. Pepper Jack

4. Romano

5. Parmesan

6. Mascarpone

After that I'm easily swayed. I can't definitely say that provolone is better than Swiss, or vice versa. American cheese would make my list, however. It's in there somewhere. Does cream cheese count? It has to, right?

Wegmans has a Parmesan Reggiano cheese that they sell in bite-sized chunks. I think you're supposed to grate it and put it on stuff, but I just eat them. So good. 

Also, there's this creamery out on Seneca Lake (I think). I went to a beer festival this summer with my FIL and wife; the thing was mostly a bust, except for this beer and cheese tasting we went to on a whim(it was an extra 5 bucks a peice). Oh. My. GOD. Its the best cheese I've ever had. I'll have to see if I can find the name. It was all phenomenal, especially this "Tom" that they had. 

Wegman's does a lot of things so well.

One thing they do exceptionally well is cheese.

They have a private-label (Wegmans) brand soft cheese (like a brie of sorts) from Italy that is one of my 10 favourite things to eat on the planet right now.

I'm not even sure what they call it.

1. Aged Mimolette (you can find it at Wegs)

2. Manchego

3. Aged Parmesan Reggiano, in chunks for eating

4. Fresh Mozzarella

5. A nice strong Brie

6. All of them, really.

Wegmans has a Parmesan Reggiano cheese that they sell in bite-sized chunks. I think you're supposed to grate it and put it on stuff, but I just eat them. So good. 

My man!

Edited by MattPie

I was at a wedding once upon a time. This wedding had phenomenal hors d'oeuvre's. Bruschetta, little cheese steak crackers, bacon wrapped scallops and some other really good stuff. Then they brought out this goat cheese and green leafy sh!t on a cracker. I was quite a few beers deep and was willing to try most foods. Mistake! Oh my God! I almost vomited instantly. Definitely shouldn't have eaten the whole thing in one bite. My beer was empty, I was nowhere near a trash can, I didn't take a napkin with this monstrosity. I had to get my head back in the game, tell my stomach to man up and I gutted this awful creation.

Goat cheese is officially out!! For me.

MattPie -- I'm deeply indebted to you for falling on the brie grenade first.

I'll say it:  I llike brie too (although I prefer the milder ones to the strong ones).  It's great on crackers or in a turkey or RB sandwich.

Huh?

No shame in the game when it comes to cheese(s).

Every now and then, we'll go bonkers with brie and prepare it more or less thusly: Slowly cooked on a low flame in a cast iron skillet with about 1/2-3/4 of a stick of melted butter into it. Once it's good and gooey, we remove and then add a small jar of our homemade preserves over the top. Then break out a bagette (sp?), and ... oh, God. So good.

MattPie -- I'm deeply indebted to you for falling on the brie grenade first.

I'll say it:  I llike brie too (although I prefer the milder ones to the strong ones).  It's great on crackers or in a turkey or RB sandwich.

No worries. So, do you eat the rind or no? I generally do, with no ill effects.

As someone who cannot eat cheese but still wishes to eat cheese and does anyways and suffers for it... smoked gouda.

Get some ricotta in a ziti bake with about 8 metric tonnes of mozzarella and parmesan and you can't go wrong.

Jo, cutting you some slack due to the digestive issues, but ricotta is one of the vilest substances on Earth.

It's a texture thing. Ricotta is vile.

And if lasagna is prepared properly, the ricotta is tolerable.

Eh, to each their own. I don't eat it plain. But I do love it in the right ratio in the right dish. I could see the texture being a no-go for some. 

Shout out to lactaid pills for making cheese fries and mac n cheese a reality for me again. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.