2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

Offensively, 124 team goals versus 102 teams goals. When comparing production the over all production of the team matters. Offensively Mittselstadt played on a team that had less goals scored than Tkachuk. That was my line of thinking. 

So much of that is going to come from other sources like team depth, roster makeup, and quality of opponents.  Right off the bat I can say that Minnesota played a much tougher schedule.  I'd also imagine that the core of defensemen on that BU roster lead to more production across the board.  That's the big thing about these drafts.  We can look at so many numbers, but there's always going to be more than just that which factors into their draft status.

One thing I'd add into the comparison you were making is that you can expect Tkachuk to be making the jump to the NHL sooner than Wahlstrom would.  Maybe things have changed a bit in these Donato days, but I full expect a Harvard kid to stick around there for a bit.  BU might as well be Kentucky at this point.  Having a kid stay around in college for an extra year shouldn't be a big factor when making your draft pick, but I can see why it might be to some GMs.

It isn't about the team being better in terms of that. It is about which team was better at scoring. I wanted an anchor for comparing Tkachuk's production this season. Mittelstadt is a good comparison because they were both Freshmen in college. The catch being Mittelstadt is a year older but still lets see how Tkachuk compares. Looking at the teams, I was thinking of Boston U as better because of offensive output. Not which team is actually better in a head to head hockey game. Minnesota scored 102 goals and CM had 30 points. Meanwhile a team that you are saying played an easier schedule had 124 goals. Tkachuk only had 31 points albeit in more games played. That is interesting. Mittelstadt was involved in 29.4% of his teams goals. Tkachuk was only involved in 25% of his teams goals. I think you are right in pointing out that saying "played on a better team" was poor wording on my part and incorrect. 

We can go back to the USHL since all 3 players also played there. Granted doing this with Mittelstadt is misleading because he only played in 24 games. GII = Goals involved in (Players total points / teams total goals)

Mittelstadt: 30pts, 13g, 24 games. 17.54% GII /

Mittelstadt adjusted. 60pts, 26g, 58 games. 29.85% GII (His team goes from 171goals to an additional 30 that in theory Casey scores or helps score.)

Tkachuk: 54pts, 25g, 61 games. 20.38% GII (265goals)

Wahlstrom: 82pts, 40g, 53 games. 34.6% GII (237goals)

Oliver Wahlstrom who we were also making the comparison with, has 82 points on a team with 237 goals (265 goals on Tkachuk's team). Further he outscored everyone on his team 40goals to 27. or 82points to 64. Those are the types of things I was looking at. How do these players compare to their teams. Tkachuk played on a team where they scored more than Mittelstadts team. Yet Mittelstadt was scoring at a higher rate. Wahlstrom in the USHL also scored at a higher rate than Tkachuk did in the previous year even though they both played in the USHL as 17 year olds. Wahlstrom's 2017/2018 USHL year makes him only 3 months older than Tkachuk's 2016/17 USHL. 

The Sabres could really use someone with attitude ala Marchand. This team is far too soft and too easy to play against. Tkachuk brings skill and an edge...we obviously will never be allowed to actually win a draft lottery and will be knocked down as far as they can put us so hopefully Tkachuk is still on the board when we finally get to pick.  we really have to get harder to play against

I just want to give you guys this quote on Oliver Wahlstrom... 

“He’s strong, doesn’t get tossed around, sticks his nose in there and when he skates he looks like [Buffalo Sabres center] Jack Eichel,” - U.S. national junior team coach Bob Motzko

I want to add that I wouldn't be upset if we took Tkachuk over Wahlstrom at 4. I just think the decision isn't as cut and dry as it could be. 

The Sabres could really use someone with attitude ala Marchand. This team is far too soft and too easy to play against. Tkachuk brings skill and an edge...we obviously will never be allowed to actually win a draft lottery and will be knocked down as far as they can put us so hopefully Tkachuk is still on the board when we finally get to pick.  we really have to get harder to play against

https://www.nhl.com/news/oliver-wahlstrom-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-flashing-nhl-quality-moves/c-293738390

“He’s strong, doesn’t get tossed around, sticks his nose in there and when he skates he looks like [[/size]Buffalo Sabres center] [/size]Jack Eichel,” - [/size]U.S. national junior team coach Bob Motzko

I want to add that I wouldn't be upset if we took Tkachuk over Wahlstrom at 4. I just think the decision isn't as cut and dry as it could be.

Agreed Brady plays with an edge... Walstrom has some it appears too... Not sure who would fit better.. Loved Brady’s attitude at WJC... it was infectious... does that give him an edge??? Still if Sabres pick top 3 we arent having this discussion.

At this point, its likely that the Sabres end up in last and draft 4th. (50.65%)

Assume the draft goes as expected - Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina.

Who do you take at 4? Im leaning Hughes at this time. PP Qb, Offensive Dman who may be the best skater in the draft. Still has much to work on in his own end but not many 18 year olds don't.

Hughes size or lack there of scares me. Too many games he has played in, he has been easily knocked off the both in the WJCs and in College. For Michigan he had a lot of plays that caused you exclaim Holy can you believe he just did that, followed by a Holy why did he do that?

Better to go Boqvist or cough, cough, Bouchard cough, cough, instead.

Edited by Brawndo

“He’s strong, doesn’t get tossed around, sticks his nose in there and when he skates he looks like [[/size]Buffalo Sabres center] [/size]Jack Eichel,” - [/size]U.S. national junior team coach Bob Motzko

I’m with you on Wahlstrom. I look Tkachuk also. This is one draft where i like the forwards, although I admit and acknowledge that we need more D in the pipeline.

I’m with you on Wahlstrom. I look Tkachuk also. This is one draft where i like the forwards, although I admit and acknowledge that we need more D in the pipeline.

There should be a couple of puck moving Dmen available at 32.  

Next steps, is to clinch a top 4 pick and then off to the lottery!

Fun fact, since there was some talk of Mittelstadt being small, I looked at the first 32 players I currently have roughly ranked. I am too lazy to convert their heights to inches for the average but I can easily do for weight. Their average weight is 186lbs.  Just some food for thought. 

Wouldn't mind Tkachuk but more intrigued by Wahlstrom at this point. We should have some good options.

I’m with you on Wahlstrom, if you compare his stats in for the USNDTP this season and compare them to Tkatchuk’s last season, Wahlstrom has been more of a goal scorer, something the Sabres are seriously lacking. (I believe this is a fair comparison as Tkatchuk was born 24 hours too late to be in the 2017 Draft making him nine months older then Wahlstrom). Plus I get nervous because every write up on him states he is gritty and his blood lines, that’s not enough to draft him in the Top Six IMO.

And Hughes skating and offensive abilities leave you breathless, but I do wonder about the other aspects of his game.

I’m with you on Wahlstrom, if you compare his stats in for the USNDTP this season and compare them to Tkatchuk’s last season, Wahlstrom has been more of a goal scorer, something the Sabres are seriously lacking. (I believe this is a fair comparison as Tkatchuk was born 24 hours too late to be in the 2017 Draft making him nine months older then Wahlstrom). Plus I get nervous because every write up on him states he is gritty and his blood lines, that’s not enough to draft him in the Top Six IMO.

And Hughes skating and offensive abilities leave you breathless, but I do wonder about the other aspects of his game.

Wahlstrom is also one of the younger players in this draft.  He's not much older than Boqvist (who is almost young enough to be a 2019 pick).

Wahlstrom reminds me of Mittelstadt in that he'd be ranked higher if he was playing somewhere that made it easier to gauge his stats and competition.

https://www.tsn.ca/last-place-nhl-team-has-18-5-per-cent-shot-at-no-1-1.1039608

official lottery odds and confirmation of April 28th.

Are Sabres play-off contenders next year IF  1)  they get Dahlin?

2) Svechnikov or Zadina?

3) rest of the field?

Edited by Crusader1969

https://www.tsn.ca/last-place-nhl-team-has-18-5-per-cent-shot-at-no-1-1.1039608

official lottery odds and confirmation of April 28th.

Are Sabres play-off contenders next year IF  1)  they get Dahlin?

2) Svechnikov or Zadina?

3) rest of the field?

Love the vid. "where would Dahlin be a good fit?" "...he'd be a great fit with Connor McDavid!"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.