2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

Pronman’s Thoughts on the Five Nation Participants

Adam Boqvist, D, Sweden, 2018 eligible: Boqvist didn’t light up the scoresheet like he did at the Ivan Hlinka in the summer, but I still thought he was good, albeit lacking in execution. I could see by how he was playing that he thinks the game in a special way. He looks to activate into gaps other defensemen don’t see, he is very creative and wants the puck to make a play. Some scouts I talked to think he can be a little selfish and has a bad attitude for a team game, but for me, it’s just that he knows he’s the guy who can make plays. I see special qualities in him, and he reaffirmed he’s in the top tier of the class.

Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Russia, 2018 eligible: Svechnikov was one of the top players at the tournament, keeping his prospect steady as one of the very top players eligible in the class. He has a unique combination of speed, power and intelligence. Very few power forwards can set up chances and finish them like Svechnikov. He was the driver on a line with Khovanov and top prospect Grigori Denisenko, and it was telling despite how good a playmaker those two are the puck flowed through Svechnikov’s stick on most power plays.

Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, USA, 2018 eligible: I’m convinced Wahlstrom is in the top tier of the non-Rasmus Dahlin candidates, meaning in the group with Filip Zadina, Andrei Svechnikov, Quinn Hughes, etc. And this week only helped to solidify that belief. I see a big, strong winger with high-end skills, an elite shot, good speed, the ability to win some battles, drive a line’s scoring chances and finish them when he gets his own. He was one of the best players at the tournament and showed the ability to be an impact NHL forward.

The scouts Thoughts on Boqvist’s Team Play has me nervous. This team needs to subtract bad attitudes and not add to them.

I don’t see that as a bad attitude thing at all, re: Boqvist. From the sounds of that write up on Svechnikov, it’s more less the same thing: the puck funnels through him, he wants the puck. I think we want guys like that. Uber talented players with the confidence to match, that want the puck on their stick.

We’ve seen that players defer to Eichel a lot. Another guy stepping up would be a good thing.

Just don’t stick him on Jack’s LW like Kane :p

Edited by Thorny

Can you post the full list. Does anyone have the most recent ESPN list?

I should have the most recent list from ESPN. I'll post it for you tomorrow

After reading Pronmans comments, I'm sticking with Svechnikov as my #1 prospect (outside Dahlin of course). I agree that the Sabr s need to draft dmen and I would like to see them pick up 2 with the (hopefully) late 1st rounder and the 32/33 pick

There should be plenty of quality dmen still available.

One name that you don't see too often is Rasmus Sandin from SSM. Was really impressed by him in my 1 viewing and what I've read about him.

Scouts comments "really smart, moves the puck" "threads needle with passes". "Is he better than Merkley?"

Ranked 33 by future considerations. 15 NHL central scouting (NA skaters)

Game I watched the beat Hamilton. 10 - 0.

Just need to watch the first 35 seconds of the highlife package. He wears #9

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video-channels/highlights/feb-1618-ham-0-ssm-10

Can you post the full list. Does anyone have the most recent ESPN list?

Is there anyone in particular you are looking for on the list. Each player in the Top 31 has a paragraph associated with them.

Here are 5-9 write ups

5. Adam Boqvist – D, Brynas IF/Almtuna IS

It has been a bit of a whirlwind season for Boqvist. He has now played at all three major levels in Sweden and hasn't been as dynamic as you'd expect on his loan to Almtuna in Allsvenskan. I think some scouting circles tend to overweight international performances, and Boqvist was outstanding at under-18s, but he's so gifted as an offensive threat from the backend, particularly as a scorer and skater, that I don't question that his ability will translate. He's going to take a little bit longer than some of the other defencemen near the top of the draft, but he'll get there.

6. Ryan Merkley – D, Guelph Storm

There are legitimate concerns, expressed by his own team and others, about Merkley's attitude, his commitment to defence, and the way he treats his teammates. But he's also the most dynamic creator not named Dahlin and when you're as talented as he is, you can grow up and figure the rest out — at least in most cases. Merkley's the kind of player who will be on some teams' no-draft list and he could fall as a result, but he has taken steps in several areas of late and is just too talented to pass up. If he can get even a little bit stronger, he has the skills to be a really special offensive threat.

7. Evan Bouchard – D, London Knights

Bouchard is an enigma of sorts in this class. In a group of defencemen who excel as flashy handlers, Bouchard is the most productive of the bunch without looking like it. The strength of Bouchard's game is in the details. He's the best player on an uncharacteristically weak London team and he has actually picked up his game after the Knights dealt their core forwards. He's also an intelligent, calculated defender who can still make plays on pure instinct when he's under pressure. In short order, he has become increasingly active in the high slot, as evidenced by his astounding 20 goals in 54 games. I liked him at the start of the year, and that was evidenced in a relatively-speaking high ranking at the time. But he has just continued to impress me with every live viewing, including the quietest four-assist night you'll ever see at the top prospects game.

8. Oliver Wahlstrom – C/RW, USDP

In the words of my esteemed colleague Justin Bourne: “He shoots the puck into the net.” After Svechnikov, Wahlstrom is the best pure goal scorer in the class. He's also the player who has come the furthest in the last year and a half. There are very few discernible traits to his game that leave me to question whether he's going to torch NCAA hockey at a very young age. He could probably stand to lose a little bit of weight in order to pick up an extra half step, but he sees the ice well and finishes off plays with ease. He was magic at 5 Nations (U18) last week too, tying for the tournament lead in points with Svechnikov.

9. Brady Tkachuk – C/LW, Boston University

Tkachuk hasn't been a dominant offensive threat at BU as a freshman, but he has excelled above his age group at just about every other level and was fantastic at the world juniors. Some coaches and scouts have told me he's meaner (if that's even possible) than his older brother Matthew. Others think he's a better skater. They're right. And Matthew doesn't disagree.

“He’s a big guy, he’s really good around the net. He’s a lot bigger than me, he’s a lot faster than me, he’s kind of that dual threat where he can beat you with speed and power and quick tight plays as well and good playmaking,” Matthew told me of Brady in December.

There is something really intriguing to me about Bouchard and Wahlstrom should be in the conversation as well if they end up picking 5th.

10. Joe Veleno

11.Jesperi Kotkaniemi

12. Dobson

13.Ty Smith

14.Isac Lundestrom

15. Joel Farabee

16. Bode Wilde

17. Caleb Addison

18. Akil Thomas

19. Jack McBain

20. Ryan McLeod

21. Filip Hollander

22.Jonathan Tychonick

23.Barrett Hayton

24. Rasmus Sandin

25.Rasmus Kupari

26. Jacob Olofsson

27.Vitail Kravtsov

28. Blake McLaughlin

29. David Gustafsson

30.Dominik Bokk

31.Philiipp Kurashev

Wheeler is high on Jesperi Kotkaniemi

10. Joe Veleno

11.Jesperi Kotkaniemi

12. Dobson

13.Ty Smith

14.Isac Lundestrom

15. Joel Farabee

16. Bode Wilde

17. Caleb Addison

18. Akil Thomas

19. Jack McBain

20. Ryan McLeod

21. Filip Hollander

22.Jonathan Tychonick

23.Barrett Hayton

24. Rasmus Sandin

25.Rasmus Kupari

26. Jacob Olofsson

27.Vitail Kravtsov

28. Blake McLaughlin

29. David Gustafsson

30.Dominik Bokk

31.Philiipp Kurashev

Wheeler is high on Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Thanks. I wanted to update my spreadsheets

ESPN list

1) Dahlin

2) Zadina

3) Svechnikov

4) Tkachuk

5) Hughes

6) Boqvist

7) Wahlstrom

8) Bouchard

9) Smith

10) Farabee

11) Hayton

12) Veleno

13) Lunderstrom

14) Samuelson

15) Denisenko

16) Dobson

17) Thomas

18) Olofsson

19) Kotkaniemi

20) Kupari

21) McLeod

22) Noel

23) Wilde

24) Merkley

25) Sandin

26) McIssac

27) Miller

28) Woo

29) Addison

30) Groulx

31) McBain

Spreadsheet update - 15 ballots

Player 1-17 have universal support (Appear on all 15 ballots in the top 31)

Top 7

1-3 Dalin, Svechnikov, Zadina

4-5 Boqvist, Tkachuk

6-7 Hughes, Wahlstrom

There is a big gap to 8-11

Bouchard, Dobson, Smith and Farabee

Another small gap to 12-17

Veleno, Lundstrom, Kupari, Wilde, Hayton and Kotkaniemi

Players 18-21 appear on 13 or 14 ballots

Denisenko, McLeod, McIssac, Thomas and Olofsson

Players 23-27 appear on 10-12 ballots

Merkley, Groulx, Noel, Woo, and Bokk

Players 28-31 appear on 7-9 ballots

McBain, Miller, Addison, M Samuelsson

Players 32-36 appear on 5 or 6 ballots

Sandin, Kaut, Alexeyev, Kratsov, and Tychonick

Another 17 players appear on at least one ballot, but not more then 3.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This is one season I don't care who we draft as long as we draft in the top 4. We need both a D and a top 6 LW and the top 4 consist of Dahlin and 3 LWs.  Simple.  After that, this draft is a "D" draft and we should grab one.

I'm with you. Top 4 or bust. Phoenix and Ottawa seem determined to make us sweat it out though. A top 4 pick coupled with Mittelstadt, Guhle, Ullmark, and possibly another addition from Rochester like O'Regan or Nylander would actually have me feeling optimistic for next season even without further additions from outside the organization (through FA or trades).

Personally I'm hoping for either Svechnikov or Zadina (since I doubt we'll win 1st pick in the lottery) but I'd be A-OK with taking Tkachuk if we dropped to #4.

I've been trying to figure out where Boqvist is playing right now. Not on Brynas or on their J20 team either. Maybe he is hurt?

I'm starting to lean towards him as the #3 pick in the draft. Real tight behind him and Zadina. I firmly believe a RHD is better value than a LW if it's really close between 2 draft picks.

Spreadsheet update - 15 ballots

Player 1-17 have universal support (Appear on all 15 ballots in the top 31)

Top 7

1-3 Dalin, Svechnikov, Zadina

4-5 Boqvist, Tkachuk

6-7 Hughes, Wahlstrom

There is a big gap to 8-11

Bouchard, Dobson, Smith and Farabee

Another small gap to 12-17

Veleno, Lundstrom, Kupari, Wilde, Hayton and Kotkaniemi

Players 18-21 appear on 13 or 14 ballots

Denisenko, McLeod, McIssac, Thomas and Olofsson

Players 23-27 appear on 10-12 ballots

Merkley, Groulx, Noel, Woo, and Bokk

Players 28-31 appear on 7-9 ballots

McBain, Miller, Addison, M Samuelsson

Players 32-36 appear on 5 or 6 ballots

Sandin, Kaut, Alexeyev, Kratsov, and Tychonick

Another 17 players appear on at least one ballot, but not more then 3.

Sandin would be the guy to watch in round 2. I'm assuming Miller is gone in round 1.

still like Tychonic, though have heard scouts question his hockey IQ

A guy who will be showing on a lot mor ballots is Liam Foudy of the London Knights. Very similar to PU in that he was buried in their lineup until the trade deadline. Now he is taking advantage of his opportunity and could work his way into the 1st round. 27 points in last 18 games for the Knights

Did very well during testing for the CHL top prospects game. http://sherwin-williamstopprospects.ca/article/chls-top-prospects-showcase-strengths-in-sport-testing-combine

Edited by Crusader1969

Noah Dobson  (who is my #5 prospect) has 9 points in his last 3 games

In last 39 games he has 15 goals and 33 assists.

Testing at the CHL prospects game:

On-Ice Tests:

30M Forward Skate with Puck:
1 – Ty Smith (Spokane Chiefs)
2 – Liam Foudy (London Knights)
3 – Noah Dobson (Acadie-Bathurst Titan)

30M Backward Skate:
1 – Noah Dobson (Acadie-Bathurst Titan)
2 – Evan Bouchard (London Knights)
3 – Xavier Bernard (Drummondville Voltigeurs)

30M Backward Skate with Puck:
1 – Noah Dobson (Acadie-Bathurst Titan)
2 – Ty Smith (Spokane Chiefs)
3 – Liam Foudy (London Knights)as a reminder - 

Dobson is 6'3 compared to Foudy and Smith who are both 6'0 and under.

Im working on putting a highlite package together for him. Here are a couple examples. he wears #53

1st is a goal

2nd is a nice setup. he is the dmam coming in from the point and getting the primary assist

3rd is another goal 

Edited by Crusader1969

Rank Player Position Team League

1 Dahlin, Rasmus LD Vastra Frolunda SweE

2 Svechnikov, Andrei RW/C Barrie OHL

3 Zadina, Filip RW Halifax QMJHL

4 Tkachuk, Brady C Boston U. H.E

5 Wahlstrom, Oliver C USA U18 NTDP

6 Bouchard, Evan RD London OHL

7 Hughes, Quinn LD U. of Michigan Big Ten

8 Boqvist, Adam LD Brynas IF Jr. SweJE

9 Veleno, Joseph C Drummondville QMJHL

10 Dobson, Noah RD Acadie-Bathurst QMJHL

11 Smith, Ty LD Spokane WHL

12 Denisenko, Grigori LW Yaroslavl Loko RusJr

13 Hayton, Barrett C Sault Ste. Marie OHL

14 Kupari, Rasmus C Karpat Oulu FinE

15 Lundestrom, Isac C Lulea HF SweE

16 Farabee, Joel LW USA U18 NTDP

17 Kotkaniemi, Jesperi C Assat FinE

18 McIsaac, Jared LD Halifax QMJHL

19 Wilde, Bode RD USA U18 NTDP

20 McLeod, Ryan C Mississauga OHL

21 Noel, Serron RW Oshawa OHL

22 Alexeyev, Alexander RD Red Deer WHL

23 Kaut, Martin RW Pardubice CzeE

24 Bernard-Docker, Jacob RD Okotoks AJHL

25 Ginning, Adam RD Linkoping HC SweE

26 Thomas, Akil C Niagara OHL

27 Groulx, Benoit-Olivier C Halifax QMJHL

28 Bokk, Dominik LW Vaxjo SweJE

29 Tychonick, Jonathan LD Penticton BCHL

30 Olofsson, Jacob C Timra SweAl

31 Marchenko RW Khanty Mansiysk RusJr

Goalies       

1 Rodrigue, Olivier G Drummondville QMJHL

2 Mandolese, Kevin G Cape Breton QMJHL

He is definitely faster both forwards and backwards, better defensive as well. Bouchard is known for elite level passing and has a great shot. Probably can't go wrong with either

Both look better on the eye test for me personally over Hughes. 

Edited by De Listig Ett

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.