2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

Lets try again,

Jonny Tychonic highlight package I've put together. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=281730

He is considered a late 1st, early 2nd round prospect. Committed to University of North Dakota.

Specs height weight background? Edited by North Buffalo

Specs height weight background?

He's a 6ft LHD. Plays in the bchl. Has 47pts in 48 games. Good 2nd or early 3rd round guy.

Bouchard is high on my list. He's on a time that got gutted and as captain stepped up his play. Big fan of his.

Dhalin

Svechnikov

Zadina

Wahlstrom

Tkachuk

Bouchard

Boqvist

Dobson

Hughes

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Watching the Preds tonight and seeing how they literally play the way the Sabres want to, wave after wave of all 5 players attacking at high speed, I'm starting to think the Sabres draft board could have a dman in the 3,4,5 and 6 slots

1) Dahlin

2) Svechnikov

3-6) some combination of Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard and Dobson

Watching the Preds tonight and seeing how they literally play the way the Sabres want to, wave after wave of all 5 players attacking at high speed, I'm starting to think the Sabres draft board could have a dman in the 3,4,5 and 6 slots

1) Dahlin

2) Svechnikov

This is going to be a fun playoff series

1) Dahlin

2) Svechnikov

certainly one to think about, if we don't win the lottery and end up drafting 2-4 I have my doubts too that botts will take one of the top forwards.

I can't imagine them passing up Svechnikov if drafting at 2. you don't see it often but maybe a trade back? 

Even being at 3 at passing up Zadina would take some brass ones.

However, if the Sabres can get Brickley to sign as a college UFA and Borgen to come as well. that could change things drastically.

Craig Custance who covers the Red Wings for The Athletic wrote about prospects who maybe available in the 5-8 range.

RW Filip Zadina, Halifax – Let’s be clear. The Red Wings are going to focus on centers and defensemen in their rebuild, as they should. The only way to get great ones is to draft them, and if we had to bet, we’re betting on the Red Wings taking a defenseman with their opening pick in the 2018 draft. OK, those disclaimers out of the way, Zadina is a special player that the Red Wings would have to throw that strategy out the window in order to grab. There are other impressive wingers at the top of the draft, but Zadina is the explosive goal-scorer the Red Wings organization doesn’t have. The Red Wings lost countless close games this year because they didn’t have a game-breaker on the roster when the opposition did. Zadina is that equalizer. He has 42 goals in 55 games for Halifax. One Western Conference director of amateur scouting explained what he liked best about Zadina: “Simply, it’s his skill, but more importantly, his attack mentality in using his skill to produce.” He has every tool — great hands, great shot, great skater. “Other than the fact that he has a RW next to his name, he’s everything you want,” said The Athletic’s Corey Pronman, who had him No. 2 on his midseason rankings. And that’s the problem here. If the Red Wings are picking five, they probably won’t have a crack at him unless teams fall in love with other players or are reluctant to draft a winger. “I don’t think anybody has him out of the top three,” said an amateur scout. “But what do you think is more important if you’re rebuilding, a scoring winger or a No. 1 defenseman?”

IN THE WHEELHOUSE

D Adam Boqvist, Brynas – One of the things the Red Wings are going to have to reconcile, if they haven’t already, is the fact that they’re probably going to have to look hard at an undersized defenseman in this range. They already have smallish defensemen in the system but that shouldn’t preclude them from adding another at the top of the draft since these are potential top pair guys that don’t currently exist in the Detroit organization. Boqvist was No. 5 on Pronman’s midseason ranking, and Pronman likes his playmaking ability. He’s another strong skater with great vision who has drawn (probably completely unfair) comparisons to Erik Karlsson. “He’s an offensively gifted guy,” said one scout. “Not as well-polished as (Rasmus) Dahlin. It’s going to take more time and grooming, but he can be just as talented in three or four years.”

D Evan Bouchard, London – He was No. 26 on Pronman’s midseason list, but believe me when I tell you that people on the trail really like Bouchard. He’s having a big season for London, with 84 points in 64 games and at 6-foot-2 has more size than some of the other defensemen at the top of the draft. “He’s a dynamic defenseman,” said one Eastern Conference scout. “I’d be shocked if he gets out of the top five. Maybe other teams don’t see it that way. He’s going to end up having 90 points.” Said another talent evaluator: “I love this kid. The kid is a horse. He knows how to pace himself.”

D Quinn Hughes, Michigan – This is a player the Red Wings will know well, with him playing in their backyard. And with that comes some extra scrutiny, which may lead to internal debate as to whether his lack of a big shot from the point makes him worthy of a pick at the top of the draft. That said, his skating is off the charts and that’s exactly what the Red Wings' defense needs right now. “He has the ability to outskate the forecheck,” said one evaluator. “When you’re going to be undersized, you have to be an elite skater. He’s elite on the edges and can dart in and out of the forecheck.”

Craig Custance who covers the Red Wings for The Athletic wrote about prospects who maybe available in the 5-8 range.

RW Filip Zadina, Halifax – Let’s be clear. The Red Wings are going to focus on centers and defensemen in their rebuild, as they should. The only way to get great ones is to draft them, and if we had to bet, we’re betting on the Red Wings taking a defenseman with their opening pick in the 2018 draft. OK, those disclaimers out of the way, Zadina is a special player that the Red Wings would have to throw that strategy out the window in order to grab. There are other impressive wingers at the top of the draft, but Zadina is the explosive goal-scorer the Red Wings organization doesn’t have. The Red Wings lost countless close games this year because they didn’t have a game-breaker on the roster when the opposition did. Zadina is that equalizer. He has 42 goals in 55 games for Halifax. One Western Conference director of amateur scouting explained what he liked best about Zadina: “Simply, it’s his skill, but more importantly, his attack mentality in using his skill to produce.” He has every tool — great hands, great shot, great skater. “Other than the fact that he has a RW next to his name, he’s everything you want,” said The Athletic’s Corey Pronman, who had him No. 2 on his midseason rankings. And that’s the problem here. If the Red Wings are picking five, they probably won’t have a crack at him unless teams fall in love with other players or are reluctant to draft a winger. “I don’t think anybody has him out of the top three,” said an amateur scout. “But what do you think is more important if you’re rebuilding, a scoring winger or a No. 1 defenseman?”

IN THE WHEELHOUSE

D Adam Boqvist, Brynas – One of the things the Red Wings are going to have to reconcile, if they haven’t already, is the fact that they’re probably going to have to look hard at an undersized defenseman in this range. They already have smallish defensemen in the system but that shouldn’t preclude them from adding another at the top of the draft since these are potential top pair guys that don’t currently exist in the Detroit organization. Boqvist was No. 5 on Pronman’s midseason ranking, and Pronman likes his playmaking ability. He’s another strong skater with great vision who has drawn (probably completely unfair) comparisons to Erik Karlsson. “He’s an offensively gifted guy,” said one scout. “Not as well-polished as (Rasmus) Dahlin. It’s going to take more time and grooming, but he can be just as talented in three or four years.”

D Evan Bouchard, London – He was No. 26 on Pronman’s midseason list, but believe me when I tell you that people on the trail really like Bouchard. He’s having a big season for London, with 84 points in 64 games and at 6-foot-2 has more size than some of the other defensemen at the top of the draft. “He’s a dynamic defenseman,” said one Eastern Conference scout. “I’d be shocked if he gets out of the top five. Maybe other teams don’t see it that way. He’s going to end up having 90 points.” Said another talent evaluator: “I love this kid. The kid is a horse. He knows how to pace himself.”

D Quinn Hughes, Michigan – This is a player the Red Wings will know well, with him playing in their backyard. And with that comes some extra scrutiny, which may lead to internal debate as to whether his lack of a big shot from the point makes him worthy of a pick at the top of the draft. That said, his skating is off the charts and that’s exactly what the Red Wings' defense needs right now. “He has the ability to outskate the forecheck,” said one evaluator. “When you’re going to be undersized, you have to be an elite skater. He’s elite on the edges and can dart in and out of the forecheck.”

Bouchard and Hughes are in the 5-8 range, but Zadina is a top 3 pick and Boqvist is probably 4/5, right?

Bouchard and Hughes are in the 5-8 range, but Zadina is a top 3 pick and Boqvist is probably 4/5, right?

Yes. I would add Noah Dobson a D Man and Oliver Wahlstrom Winger to the 5-8 range.

As Crusader mentions, you are getting a talented player from 4-8.

Edited by Brawndo

Haven’t been paying as much attention as I should, but I like what I’ve seen from Bouchard if we somehow end up outside the top four.

If we're going RHD he's definitely right there with Hughes.  I prefer Bouchard and Dobson to Hughes.  It's all about what you want.  I prefer a shot from the point as well as the ability to carry the puck and offer the two way ability.  Hughes is a super elite skater and has good puck vision.  I hate his shot, it's garbage, and he's been prone to making poor decisions at times.  Not that I would compare him to Pouliot (Van), but he looks like the same type of profile when Pouliot came out in the top 10.  

Here is how Svechnikov has faired Vs some of the other top prospects coming out of OHL in last few years

Svechnikov's 27 even-strength goals in 43 games is quite impressive for EV goals/game pre-draft from OHL, since 2003:

0.70 McDavid

0.63 Svechnikov (youngest of these top 7, entering draft)

0.62 PKane

0.57 Tippett

0.56 Seguin

0.55 Tavares

0.53 Fabbri

#NHLDraft

I was reading canucksarmy today, and they were spreading rumors about Russians that would make MSNBC blush. So before "they" (probably the legal department) took that post down, I cranked up my computer and came up with a top 8. It's certainly not the top 8, as a number of prospects, probably 50 of them, will squeeze past number 8, but these are the 8 that I could think of when I was cranking. In parens, is the 10 year predraft ranking.

Dahlin (5) behind only McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, and Barkov, an average first pick.

Bouchard (23) Ought to go third in an average year.

Svechnikov(76) Ought to go eighth in an average year

Tkachuk(123) Ought to go thirteenth in an average year

Dobson(161) You get the math by this point, right?

Zadina(187)

Hughes(209)

Boqvist(880) Middle of the 3rd round

The only 2 good things I see in this draft. If they win the lotto, they get a high-end player. If they draft 4th, 5th, or 6th, a good player may very well be there.

Looking at it further, I was a little harsh on Svechnikov, he's actually in the 20's (I forgot that I look at 16 and 17), his 16th year was very good, his 17th year, a little worse.

While last year was a boatload of players that should have gone 5th, this year is the opposite, 3 players better than all of last year. So if you drafted the 2 years together at age 17, it'd be Dahlin, Bouchard, Svechnikov, then 16 players from last year, then Dobson 20th.

I do think Tkachuk does bring a lot of what the Sabres are lacking but at #2 I would hope the Sabres are looking for elite level skill. If the Sabres end up with Svechnikov or Zadina and there is a Tkachuck type out there in 2019, then I would be open to them drafting a bigger/less skilled type player then.

The name that sticks out to me with Craigs List is Hayton at #7. He is a good player and did very well when a lot of the grey hounds were at the WJC but that seems high for a 2 way center. Then again, if a team is looking for a Center in the draft, there isn't a lot of competition this year, so it could push him high.

Craig Button released his latest rankings

1.Dahlin

2. Tkatchuk

3. Svechnikov

4. Zadina

5. Bouchard

6. Boqvist

7. Barrett Hayton

8. Noah Dobson

9. Wahlstrom

10. Kotkaniemi

Hughes is 12

Not sure about his love affair with Tkatchuk

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-bouchard-rocketing-up-draft-board-1.1031499

Button has crappy rankings. Always has. The compiled rankings Georgia does shouldn't include Button and his biased trash.

Button has crappy rankings. Always has. The compiled rankings Georgia does shouldn't include Button and his biased trash.

i include Button because he is a former NHL GM and a credible voice, but yes his rankings tend to go astray.  However he is one of 15 voices+ I follow and that helps limit his influence on the final result.  He does however undercover some guys that usually go in the second and it's worth remembering their names. 

Button's list, applied to the Sabres draft picks, had an excellent 2014. His 2015, 2016, 2017 results, as you say, not so good.

Compiling rankings doesn't work, as nobody has worse results than Mckenzie. You can take that back 20 years if you want to study the subject. thedraftanalyst.com has CSS  rankings back to around 2000, in retrospect, you might as well have a dart board.

Button's list, applied to the Sabres draft picks, had an excellent 2014. His 2015, 2016, 2017 results, as you say, not so good.

Compiling rankings doesn't work, as nobody has worse results than Mckenzie. You can take that back 20 years if you want to study the subject. thedraftanalyst.com has CSS  rankings back to around 2000, in retrospect, you might as well have a dart board.

I disagree. I have done my spreadsheet for the last 6-7 years and I find it to be a great reference tool. Usually 25 players on my 1st rd draft board go in the first rd and most of the others go early in the second. Rarely does someone that shows up on at least half the lists I follow end up going in the 3rd rd or later. The only I can think of is Vitali Abramov. Despite his playing in the Q, I think his size and Russian nationality worked against him. However he might be the steal of 2016 draft. In 3 seasons in the Q he has scored 93, 104 and 104 pts w 45 goals.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.