2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

If we don't end up winning the top pick in the lottery, please let us get Svechnikov, this kid looks like he could be a faster version of Cam Neely. Big, powerful, hard to knock off the puck, scores, passes well, fast, hits.

The best thing about this draft is that their looks like 7 top players.  The Sabres are likely to be drafting 5th at worst, and the top 5 guys all fit needs of this organization, and the top 4 maybe to contribute as early as next season.  Zadina and Tkachuk both play LW, Dahlin is a LHD and Svechnikov is a left shooting "RW"  Boqvist is 5th and also a D.  Frankly getting any of these 5 guys will be a huge boost for the organization talent wise and be an nice consolation prize for this horrid season.

The best thing about this draft is that their looks like 7 top players.  The Sabres are likely to be drafting 5th at worst, and the top 5 guys all fit needs of this organization, and the top 4 maybe to contribute as early as next season.  Zadina and Tkachuk both play LW, Dahlin is a LHD and Svechnikov is a left shooting "RW"  Boqvist is 5th and also a D.  Frankly getting any of these 5 guys will be a huge boost for the organization talent wise and be an nice consolation prize for this horrid season.

What is interesting about Dahlin is that he is a LHD but plays primarily on the Right, which I believe would fit perfectly with the Sabres.

Scandella   Risto

McCabe      Dahlin

Guhle         Bogo / Nelson

2-3 would probably be forwards.

Boqvist enters the conversation at 3-5.

I would take a D Man over Tkatchuk.

Totally agree with you.  Tkachuk has fallen for me to 7th or 8th for the Sabres. Tkachuk would be a great addition to a team that already has an abundance of skilled / fast players. Sabres are already a prodding team that lacks skill. I think his talents wouldn't suit the Sabres at this time.

I think I'm taking Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson and Bouchard ahead of Tkachuk for the Sabres.      Only Hughes is a LHD in this group.

The real question will come if Sabres have to choose between Zadina and one of the top dmen.

Oh No

Interesting that Jeff Marek during the Calgary broadcast last night mentioned some NHL teams have Brady Tkachuk ranked #2 and one of those teams is believed to be the Buffalo Sabres. #draftalk

IF that's true, we really need to hope the right lottery ball is chosen.

That, or the Sabres rise to 28th & the wrong ones are chosen. ;)

Oh No

Interesting that Jeff Marek during the Calgary broadcast last night mentioned some NHL teams have Brady Tkachuk ranked #2 and one of those teams is believed to be the Buffalo Sabres. #draftalk

I would be surprised that they have a draft board already. I thought the scouts all got together in April/May and thats when the draft board was put together.

Tkachuk wouldn't be the worse thing in the world, he does bring nasty to his game and it's not like he doesn't have any skill / speed but still the other options... 

IF that's true, we really need to hope the right lottery ball is chosen.

That, or the Sabres rise to 28th & the wrong ones are chosen. ;)

I would be surprised that they have a draft board already. I thought the scouts all got together in April/May and thats when the draft board was put together.

Tkachuk wouldn't be the worse thing in the world, he does bring nasty to his game and it's not like he doesn't have any skill / speed but still the other options...

This makes more sense. Botterill also doesn’t seem like the type that would allow this information to leak out particularly in Early March.

Oh No

We always get the worse brother...

Please don't make this another Nylander pick

Sportsnet March Rankings

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I'd flip Svechnikov and Zadina but otherwise looks about right

I'm still hoping the Sabres draft as high as possible but the reality is that the Top 9 look like difference makers in this draft

Oh No

I could easily see this being the case owing to Botterill’s penchant to draft college players.

And I can’t say I don’t like the looks of a potential top 6 in the near future consisting of:

O’Reilly - Eichel - Reinhart

Tkachuk - Mittelstadt - Nylander

I could easily see this being the case owing to Botterill’s penchant to draft college players.

And I can’t say I don’t like the looks of a potential top 6 in the near future consisting of:

Until Nylander shows he deserves to be pencilled into the top 6, really hard to have him there. Hopefully Okposo holds up.

I have wanted a Tkachuk since I saw his older, smaller brother play. If we draft Tkachuk, can we move him to center and create a NHL sons line of Nylander, Tkachuk, Reinhart.

Dahlin vs Boqvist

Dahlin

6 pts in 7 games at U20 WJC

19 pts in 40 games in the SHL

Boqvist

1 pts in 3 games at U20 WJC

1 pt in 14 games in SHL 

to be fair Boqvist is 4 month younger and has excelled in competition of his age

24 pts in 25 games for SuperElit (Swedish juniors)

9 pts in  9 games in U18 WJC

Obviously this is a major gap between the No.1 prospect in the draft and someone thought to be drafted between 4-10.

Dahlin vs Boqvist

Dahlin

6 pts in 7 games at U20 WJC

19 pts in 40 games in the SHL

Boqvist

1 pts in 3 games at U20 WJC

1 pt in 14 games in SHL 

to be fair Boqvist is 4 month younger and has excelled in competition of his age

24 pts in 25 games for SuperElit (Swedish juniors)

9 pts in  9 games in U18 WJC

Obviously this is a major gap between the No.1 prospect in the draft and someone thought to be drafted between 4-10.

Frolunda is playing Brynas this morning. its in the 2nd period and Im not sure I've seen Boqvist on the ice as of yet. Doesn't usually play more than 4 minutes a game in SHL.

Johnny Tychonic Spotlight

Edited by Crusader1969

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.