2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

Not sure if anyone posted it yet or not, but the lottery will be held on April 28th this year 

https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-draft-lottery-odds-announced/c-297409174

So the team that finishes 3rd last has the best chance at winning the lottery. Holy this league is so dumb

Edited by Jokertecken

Not sure if anyone posted it yet or not, but the lottery will be held on April 28th this year 

https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-draft-lottery-odds-announced/c-297409174

So the team that finishes 3rd last has the best chance at winning the lottery. Holy ###### this league is so dumb

Think you must have misread.

He scares the crap out of me. 

From what I read, the next time he doesn't glide through the neutral zone completely disinterested will be the first.

Are you sure you aren't reading about his brother?

I've never heard that of his game. I've also watched 20 colts games this season and never thought that.

Though, that was a criticism of his brothers game.

One more thing about Hughes, his offensive production is similar to Tkachuk’s this season.

36 Games 5G 24A compared to 40 Games 8G and 23A for Tkachuk.

If you compare him to last years 4th overall pick Cale Makar who was also a freashman this past season

maker. 35gp 5g 16a

Hughes - 36gp 5g 24a

Bottom line is whomever the Sabres draft at 1-4 will be a huge addition to this team

The real key is the guy they draft at 32. - that's the one they have to get right

Are you sure you aren't reading about his brother?

I've never heard that of his game. I've also watched 20 colts games this season and never thought that.

Though, that was a criticism of his brothers game.

Nah, just his prospect thread at hfboards. 

They can be dumb over there at times, so I wouldn't freak out if we drafted him or anything. But I'm still a little wary.

I'll take Svechnikov in a heart beat even if he didn't play a lick of defense. Guy is a scoring machine and from the little map that gets posted on here from time to time comparing his goals and Zadina's goals, he scores from all over the ice. On a team where scoring is so difficult to come by, we can afford to overlook his defensive game. Put him with a guy who can play defense like Ryan O'Reilly or whomever and step back and watch him assault the other team's goalie with shots. Plus it's much easier to find defensively responsible forwards than it is to find scorers. They don't tend to be nearly as expensive in free agency or as expensive to acquire in trades.

Why are people concerned about Tkachuk?

Is it the lack of goals this year (three less than Casey)?

Or just the fact that he’s a winger and the other two wingers have more skill?

He’s a bit bigger and faster than his brother, and just as much of a dick.

Looked good at the WJCs and fills a need for this team.

Mostly a case of people seeing him as a good pick from 5-8, but not 1-4?

Here are two comparisons of Tkatchuk.

Tkachuk has had a very good season between college and the World Junior Championship, continuing a trend of being one of the most important players on whatever team he’s on. He has one of the best physical games in the draft. He’s a strong 6-foot-3 forward who wins battles and bulldozes his way to the net as well as any teenager I’ve seen in the college ranks. Any scout I talk to will immediately heap praise on his competitiveness and the edge in his game. His skill isn’t dynamic, but he has good hands, a decent shot and makes smart plays with the puck. He can distribute the puck, but he’s not high-end in that regard. His skating is decent for a big man, enough that I’ve seen him turn the corner on a few defensemen; but at the same time, he’s not a blazer. Coaches will love him because he plays well in any situation or role.

Good genes certainly help, but Tkachuk is a special talent in his own right. Already one of the physically strongest forwards in this draft class, Tkachuk can do pretty much everything a team needs. From killing penalties to late-game defensive-zone draws, he was playing meaningful minutes for Team USA at the World Juniors. U.S. head coach Bob Motzko referred to Tkachuk multiple times as a "junkyard dog" due to his physicality and relentlessness. He is a tremendous competitor.

While it's easy to get enamored with the physical elements of Tkachuk's game, they should not overshadow his skill. Tkachuk might not be your prototypical playmaker, but he is a high-end distributor who sees the ice well. That maximizes the extra space he creates for himself and his teammates. Like big brother Matthew and dad Keith, Brady is also very good around the net. He has quick hands in tight and can outmuscle defenders. But he can score the pretty goals too, with a quick release and confidence in his puck skills. If there's one knock at this point, it's his skating, but it isn't a big concern.

My biggest concern with him is he seems to be more of a play maker then a true goal scorer. The Sabres have that in Eichel and Mittelstadt they both need bonafide scoring wingers .

Wahlstrom was compared to Zadina and Svechnikov in terms of skill by Chris Peters he needs more consistency at times however.

And they both agree he has one of the best shots in the draft.

That Tkachuk review makes him sound like Ryan O'Reilly with a mean streak. I'd still rather have Svechnikov or Zadina because we are in such need of goal scoring but Tkachuk doesn't sound like a bad consolation prize if we lose out on the lottery and pick 4th.

Edited by Alkoholist

If Botterill wants to draft a winger 4th, Wahlstrom would be my Pick after Svechnikov and Zadina

As natural a goal scorer as there is in this draft, Wahlstrom has put up strong numbers at the National Team Development Program and has gotten better as the season has worn on. Currently playing alongside Jack Hughes (Quinn's younger brother and an early favorite to go No. 1 in 2019), Wahlstrom's scoring ability has gotten an even better showcase.

I think he has the best, most deceptive shot among players I've seen this season. Wahlstrom gets himself to good scoring positions and has a bunch of releases he can use to fool goaltenders. That said, the kid is willing to shoot from anywhere and pretty much does. He's also excellent shooting off the pass. Some scouts I've talked to have questioned his consistency in terms of how he competes and how much he can create offense on his own, but I place a high value on high-end goal scorers. In that specific ability, I think he's comparable to Zadina and Svechnikov. They are just more complete players who have displayed better consistency at this point.

Wahlstrom has been one of the best snipers to pass through the USNTDP. He has a very desirable combination of high-end skill and shot in a big body. Wahlstrom has the capability to carry a line due to his skill and creativity, and generates a lot of clean entries. He’s more of a shooter than a playmaker, but he can certainly make tough passes when he needs to. Wahlstrom can score from a distance and puts himself in spots to get one-timers on net, but his wrist shot is also deadly. His shots on goal totals this season are off the charts and equal to the best snipers to ever play in the USHL and/or USNTDP at his age. He’s OK defensively. I’ve seen him be passable on the PK, and while he can be strong on the puck, he’s not going to throw his body around a ton. He can skate fine, but sometimes he plays slower than he should. Having said that, he can get around the ice without issue.

Rasmus Sandin

https://mobile.twitter.com/mitchlbrown/status/978989031865376773

Was going to do a highlight video of him but now will have to find someone else because it's unlikely he will be on the board at 32.

the draft analyst tweeted that he could move into a top10 slot.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thedraftanalyst/status/980057490695032832

Edited by Crusader1969

If they stay in 31st, their odds will be

1st 18.5%

2nd 16.5%

3rd 14.4%

4th 50.6%

Meaning there is a 49.4% chance they will pick in in the Top 3. They are due for some luck.

On the contrary, my friend, it is over 50% that the Sabres draft 4th.  Brace yourselves for it.  The Sabres do not deserve any luck in this thing.

On the contrary, my friend, it is over 50% that the Sabres draft 4th. Brace yourselves for it. The Sabres do not deserve any luck in this thing.

Deserving has got nothing to do with it.

watching and reading more in Boqvist, I'm liking him more. He's real young and real raw though.

Edited by Skurk Liger

I am fully prepared that we will be drafting 4th and I’m ok with that. The only player at 4 I don’t want is Boqvist. Tkatchuk, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Bouchard, and even Hughes will be fine (I read up on him more). We need their talents.

If we get one of the top 3 even better, but the 5 others will be a serious upgrade of our talent pool.

I agree if we somehow get Dahlin, we also need to make sure we get Sandin as well.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I am fully prepared that we will be drafting 4th and I’m ok with that. The only player at 4 I don’t want is Boqvist. Tkatchuk, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Bouchard, and even Hughes will be fine (I read up on him more). We need their talents.

If we get one of the top 3 even better, but the 5 others will be a serious upgrade of our talent pool.

I agree if we somehow get Dahlin, we also need to make sure we get Sandin as well.

Even Boqvist would be a nice addition, he had a tough time vs Men in the SHL but still did extremely well when up against his peer group.

This biggest difference is that Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina are NHL ready, outside of that only Tkachuck (physically) would be ready to make the jump.

OK.  I will give you guys that.

But, still the recent past is, well .........

the Leafs and Garret Sparks agree with you, 

lets not forget they kept this guy in net over all other options

James Reimer 32 1797 75 2.49 11 12 7 845 0.918 4 0
Jonathan Bernier 38 2131 103 2.88 12 21 3 1011 0.908 7 3
Garret Sparks 17 970 49 3.02 6 9 1 407 0.893 2 1

Leafs last 9 games

Sparks 0-5
Bernier 2-2

2nd last game of the season Bernier wins 4-3 vs Philadelphia, makes over 40 saves. 

2 days later they play their last game, Bernier deserves the start, right? nope, Sparks and his .873 save percentage over his previous 5 games, gets the nod.  Over that same time frame Bernier goes 3-2 and has a sv % of .923

Leafs win that last game and Matthews is now an Edmonton Oiler

in 2015/16 Leafs trade make the follow roster transactions:

roster players Traded away -       Traded for
Phil Kessel                                  Colin Greening
Dion Phaneuf                              Conor Carrick
Roman Polak                               Ben Smith
Shawn Mattias
James Reimer

Somehow this has Honor.
Edited by Crusader1969

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.