2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

I’d like Tkachuk. I’m intrigued by a gritty (sue me) talent who’ll get right to the net, cashing in on Jack’s feeds.

Jack’s playmaking is so good, we don’t need a dynamite finisher, just a very good one willing to go to the dirty areas and not get muscled out.

I’d like Tkachuk. I’m intrigued by a gritty (sue me) talent who’ll get right to the net, cashing in on Jack’s feeds.

Jack’s playmaking is so good, we don’t need a dynamite finisher, just a very good one willing to go to the dirty areas and not get muscled out.

Is Wahlstrom possibly a product of playing with Hughes?  I really like Tkachuk as well.  I think he brings something unique that the other guys (after the top 3) do bring and that is a physical element that we desperately need.

Is Wahlstrom possibly a product of playing with Hughes?  I really like Tkachuk as well.  I think he brings something unique that the other guys (after the top 3) do bring and that is a physical element that we desperately need.

And Botterill likes College players (although that would fit for Wahlstrom as well).

My money is on the pick being one of these 2, failing a top 3, and maybe even just failing Dahlin.

Is Wahlstrom possibly a product of playing with Hughes? I really like Tkachuk as well. I think he brings something unique that the other guys (after the top 3) do bring and that is a physical element that we desperately need.

Hughes had 50 points, Wahlstrom 82 so no but it didn't hurt.

I need to find Wahlstrom power play points breakdown. unless I find it already done, I'm not going into first versus second assist but if I were a real scout I would.

Hughes had 50 points, Wahlstrom 82 so no but it didn't hurt.

I need to find Wahlstrom power play points breakdown. unless I find it already done, I'm not going into first versus second assist but if I were a real scout I would.

I remember the secondary assist thing was a big sticking point around here for Brady Tkachuk’s brother when he was draft eligible. But Matthew looks pretty good so far, so I’m trying not to worry about that with prospects all that much.

I remember the secondary assist thing was a big sticking point around here for Brady Tkachuk’s brother when he was draft eligible. But Matthew looks pretty good so far, so I’m trying not to worry about that with prospects all that much.

Matthew was a better prospect then Brady is. Matthew went 6. I'm just not sold on Brady right now. A lot depends on his skating.

Matthew was a better prospect then Brady is. Matthew went 6. I'm just not sold on Brady right now. A lot depends on his skating.

My point is that secondary assists weren’t an issue where he was concerned. Don’t see why they necessarily have to be with any top prospect.

My point is that secondary assists weren’t an issue where he was concerned. Don’t see why they necessarily have to be with any top prospect.

You want offensive drivers and the concern is with secondary assists making up a bulk of a players points are they just passengers on a good line. Matthew still had 30 goals in 52 games so at this point we know it wasn't an issue.

You want offensive drivers and the concern is with secondary assists making up a bulk of a players points are they just passengers on a good line. Matthew still had 30 goals in 52 games so at this point we know it wasn't an issue.

Yes, exactly.

So which Swede are we taking in the second round this year?

Mattias Samuelsson. He's not only Swedish but also American AND also going to college AND also a LHD.  Oh and he is friends with Wahlstrom. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/mattias-samuelsson-using-size-pedigree-to-develop-into-2018-nhl-draft-top-prospect/c-295882384

Edited by Skurk Liger

And Botterill likes College players (although that would fit for Wahlstrom as well).

My money is on the pick being one of these 2, failing a top 3, and maybe even just failing Dahlin.

Tkachuk was a freshman in 2017-18 at Boston University, so there's that.  As far as the quoted (college preference).  I like Wahlstrom for his creativity and Tkachuk for his power forward type and rugged nature.  We need more of that in the line up.  These types are okay if we're past three IMO.  I'm taking Dobson or Bouchard or Boqvist over each though.  We need to end the cycle of passing on talented D because of tantalizing forwards are on the board.  While this is an exceptionally deep draft, we need to continue this. 

Mattias Samuelsson. He's not only Swedish but also American AND also going to college AND also a LHD.  Oh and he is friends with Wahlstrom. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/mattias-samuelsson-using-size-pedigree-to-develop-into-2018-nhl-draft-top-prospect/c-295882384

Samuelsson is an interesting prospect in his own right.  There are so many D after the top wave to be interested in.  As I've said my #2 D that I'd love to acquire in some right would be to sneak back in if possible to snag McIsaac.  

Tkachuk was a freshman in 2017-18 at Boston University, so there's that.  As far as the quoted (college preference).  I like Wahlstrom for his creativity and Tkachuk for his power forward type and rugged nature.  We need more of that in the line up.  These types are okay if we're past three IMO.  I'm taking Dobson or Bouchard or Boqvist over each though.  We need to end the cycle of passing on talented D because of tantalizing forwards are on the board.  While this is an exceptionally deep draft, we need to continue this. 

Samuelsson is an interesting prospect in his own right.  There are so many D after the top wave to be interested in.  As I've said my #2 D that I'd love to acquire in some right would be to sneak back in if possible to snag McIsaac.  

Which is why I don't rank Dobson and Boqvist in the same tier with Wahlstrom, Bouchard, and Tkachuk. 

Right now in my very preliminary, super early, not set, not ready rankings... I have McIsaac in and around 20 on my board. Not sure we can trade back up that far from 32 or 33. 

We talk of a preference towards college players, but when looking at last year's draft, I see a very obvious trend.  It happens to overlap a bit with the college one, but I'll be curious to see if it continues.

And yes, it's only one draft, so it's not yet a trend.

We talk of a preference towards college players, but when looking at last year's draft, I see a very obvious trend.  It happens to overlap a bit with the college one, but I'll be curious to see if it continues.

And yes, it's only one draft, so it's not yet a trend.

What trend specifically? The taking college players trend? 

Watch out for the Samuelsson “brothers”

Mattias 6-4 215 D, son of Kjell. 14 pts in 22 games for the USNDT

Adam 6-4 210 D, son of Ulf. 12pts in 25 games for the USNDT

Both will likely be taken late first (Mattias) or second (Adam) but If they are anything like their Dads they should be interesting prospects to watch.

Nice D group for the USNDT with Miller and Wilde as well.

Future Considerations: Top 100 rankings

https://futureconsiderations.ca/top-rankings-2018/

Also in the third we could draft Chris Drury's nephew, Jack Drury. 

If they get the first 31 correct, it will leave the Sabres a few good options at 32.  Though, Noel would be an intriguing pick up. Big winger with a bit of nasty, mixed with speed and skill. Could be Tkachuk light? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.