2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

how great would drafting one of the big 3 LW prospects with your first pick and then getting Merkely with the pick they get (hopefully) for Kane in the mid 20's?

Yes it would be

It looks very likely that we will have 3 Mooseheads drafted in the first round this coming draft.

I can't remember if that has ever happened.  I don't think it has.

How does Halifax consistently have such outstanding talent, their roster is pretty impressive year to year

How does Halifax consistently have such outstanding talent, their roster is pretty impressive year to year

After they won the Memorial Cup in 2013 they lost most of their players to the draft, trades and age restrictions.  So, 2014 and 2015 were rebuilding time and they missed the playoff in an 18 team league were the top 16 make it.

They draft extremely well.  And make good trades when they see the time is right.

If I’m reading Jbot well, I suspect he’ll take Miller over Merkley. US college kid with size vs smallish CHL player.

Idk if Miller will be there. I do like DeAndre but I could see him climb up boards. The key is to get big players (6'2" 200lb) who skate as fast as the new trendy 5'10" 185lb defenders. Forwards are still big and fast. You are going to need that weight and size in the corner. 

Per Chris Peters

2018 top prospect Adam Boqvist hasn’t had a ton of standout moments in the 5 Nations, but his skating and vision have been evident. Was hoping to see him control play a bit more than he has at this event. Still playing decently well overall.

Cough Bouchard Cough

If we miss out on Svechnikov, Zadina or Tkachuk does Botts then trade down and pick up Wahlstrom or Lunderstrom projected to go 8 and 10 at the moment in mock drafts?

Unlikely, i reckon he goes D and takes Boqvist,Bouchard or Hughes.

This is also assuming we dont win the lottery :)

If we miss out on Svechnikov, Zadina or Tkachuk does Botts then trade down and pick up Wahlstrom or Lunderstrom projected to go 8 and 10 at the moment in mock drafts?

Unlikely, i reckon he goes D and takes Boqvist,Bouchard or Hughes.

This is also assuming we dont win the lottery :)

Dobson will be the 2nd Dman off the board this draft.

Idk if Miller will be there. I do like DeAndre but I could see him climb up boards. The key is to get big players (6'2" 200lb) who skate as fast as the new trendy 5'10" 185lb defenders. Forwards are still big and fast. You are going to need that weight and size in the corner.

d'andre Miller with a couple of highlites Tonight's u18 5nation tournament

His goal: https://mobile.twitter.com/usahockeyntdp/status/964675859830509570

His assist: https://mobile.twitter.com/usahockeyntdp/status/964680022282956801

A good write up from the draft analyst on the just completed u18 5-Nation tournament

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/international-tournaments/2018-draft-u18-five-nations-recap-and-scouting-reports/

Seems boqvist answered a lot of the questions people had about him and helped solidify himself as the 2nd best dman in the draft. The door is still open for him to break through into the 2nd tier of prospects and join Tkachuk, Svechnikov and Zadina.

A good write up from the draft analyst on the just completed u18 5-Nation tournament

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/international-tournaments/2018-draft-u18-five-nations-recap-and-scouting-reports/

Seems boqvist answered a lot of the questions people had about him and helped solidify himself as the 2nd best dman in the draft. The door is still open for him to break through into the 2nd tier of prospects and join Tkachuk, Svechnikov and Zadina.

I’m actually rather high on Boqvist from everything I’ve read, and due to his position. RHD. We need D, particularly on the right. And, well, bye bye Bogo (eventually).

This probably contributes to my lack of angst regarding draft position. We’ll get one of the 5.

Scott Wheeler posted his Top 62 Draft Prospects in the Athletic

1 Dahlin

2 Svechnikov

3 Zadina

4 Hughes??

5 Boqvist

6 Merkley

7 Bouchard

8 Wahlstrom

9 Tkachuk

10 Veleno

12. Dobson

Can you post the full list. Does anyone have the most recent ESPN list? Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Pronman’s Thoughts on the Five Nation Participants

Adam Boqvist, D, Sweden, 2018 eligible: Boqvist didn’t light up the scoresheet like he did at the Ivan Hlinka in the summer, but I still thought he was good, albeit lacking in execution. I could see by how he was playing that he thinks the game in a special way. He looks to activate into gaps other defensemen don’t see, he is very creative and wants the puck to make a play. Some scouts I talked to think he can be a little selfish and has a bad attitude for a team game, but for me, it’s just that he knows he’s the guy who can make plays. I see special qualities in him, and he reaffirmed he’s in the top tier of the class.

Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Russia, 2018 eligible: Svechnikov was one of the top players at the tournament, keeping his prospect steady as one of the very top players eligible in the class. He has a unique combination of speed, power and intelligence. Very few power forwards can set up chances and finish them like Svechnikov. He was the driver on a line with Khovanov and top prospect Grigori Denisenko, and it was telling despite how good a playmaker those two are the puck flowed through Svechnikov’s stick on most power plays.

Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, USA, 2018 eligible: I’m convinced Wahlstrom is in the top tier of the non-Rasmus Dahlin candidates, meaning in the group with Filip Zadina, Andrei Svechnikov, Quinn Hughes, etc. And this week only helped to solidify that belief. I see a big, strong winger with high-end skills, an elite shot, good speed, the ability to win some battles, drive a line’s scoring chances and finish them when he gets his own. He was one of the best players at the tournament and showed the ability to be an impact NHL forward.

The scouts Thoughts on Boqvist’s Team Play has me nervous. This team needs to subtract bad attitudes and not add to them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.