OT - Solar Eclipse

GoPre

A bit late to ask this question.... any of you watching the eclipse today?  Where I'm at roughy 86% of the sun will be covered.  Wish I had traveled to an area that will get to experience a total eclipse, but I am still very excited.  Have a pair of safe solar glasses ready to go!

I walked out with a piece of paper with a hole punched in it.  When I held it above the ground as high as I could, I could pretty clearly see the crescent shape.  I'd take a pic but they discourage pictures where I work.  But the effect is something like the spots of light filtering through a tree like in this pic I found on the net:

dogwimg.jpg

It was pretty uneventful here.  I'm only a couple hours away from the peak spots in SC, but it didn't get much darker than normal here.  It just goes to show you how much of that sun you need to block out in order for it to get dark outside.  I think I heard a number around 85% for what we would get here.

Apparently Buffalo and Rochester will be directly in the middle of the 100% total eclipse path on April 8, 2024.  https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024/

[there is a Buffalo sports joke in here somewhere...]

Fort Worth will be fully eclipsed by that one as well, but lies kind of on the edge.  Buffalo is pretty much smack-dab in the middle.

Lincoln, NE.  Total coverage.  Stared right at it for 1 minute and 30 seconds with no eye protection.  More impressive than I thought it would be.  Only good thing ever about living in Nebraska.

Lincoln, NE.  Total coverage.  Stared right at it for 1 minute and 30 seconds with no eye protection.  More impressive than I thought it would be.  Only good thing ever about living in Nebraska.

That's a terrible idea. UV radiation was still hitting your eyes, and that does damage without you even knowing that it's happening because it's not in the visible spectrum and so not "bright". 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.