OT - Solar Eclipse

GoPre

That's a terrible idea. UV radiation was still hitting your eyes, and that does damage without you even knowing that it's happening because it's not in the visible spectrum and so not "bright". 

Not to worry: From eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety and NASA.

"Looking directly at the Sun is unsafe except during the brief total phase of a solar eclipse (“totality”), when the Moon entirely blocks the Sun’s bright face, which will happen only within the narrow path of totality." 

Lincoln, NE was in the path of totality for 1 minute and 24 seconds.  Like I said, only good thing to happen in Lincoln, NE.  My eyes are fine today.  Thanks for the concern!

Edited by Tondas

That's a terrible idea. UV radiation was still hitting your eyes, and that does damage without you even knowing that it's happening because it's not in the visible spectrum and so not "bright".

Isn't it possible for a person not to have signs or symptoms of damage for a few days after looking at a solar eclipse w/ no protection?

After watching a partial eclipse, I can't pass on the total in 2024. As much as I can't wait to see it, I will not look at a solar eclipse w/out eye protection.

Not to worry: From eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety and NASA.

"Looking directly at the Sun is unsafe except during the brief total phase of a solar eclipse (“totality”), when the Moon entirely blocks the Sun’s bright face, which will happen only within the narrow path of totality." 

Lincoln, NE was in the path of totality for 1 minute and 24 seconds.  Like I said, only good thing to happen in Lincoln, NE.  My eyes are fine today.  Thanks for the concern!

You're a man of vision

I was in Saint Louis for this, just north of totality....think we had like 98 or 99% or something...it got very dark, like dusk, enough so that all the street lights came on(they were those automatic ones that turn on when it gets dark)...very cool to experience...we  didn't plan it like this, we just ended up there by accident at the right time...

We traveled 11 hours to Millersville Tn for the eclipse. 

Total eclipse was for 2 minutes 33 seconds.

Looked at the eclipsed sun almost the whole time through binoculars. To see the solar flares like that is the one of the most amazing experience's ever. Like seeing one of the natural wonders of the world first hand. To experience all the automatic lights come on, how cool it got, the cicadas and crickets start singing then to  all stop 2 minutes later was very cool. 

I am not blind today or have any lingering affects. Both hands where on the binoculars the whole time. ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.