Streaming the Sabres Legally

BMWR100RT

Yes, they definitely still do mail.  But I'll bet that streaming is the overwhelming majority of revenue now.

Without a doubt. I read some article a while back that said there were still something like 4 million dvd customers. I imagine the stream base is easily more than 10 times that, even when you factor in account sharing.

Just like they saw the death of DVD rental stores, and ultimately even DVD rental by mail, years before those happened.

Blockbuster's former board of directors and CEO must really live in agony every day.

I usually get gas at a station that has two Redbox units outside. I always see people at those units while I'm filling up so DVD rental is still alive.

I pay for DirectV just so I can watch the Sabres games. I watch the Bills in my shop over a an antennae and feel I pay for it in the endless erectile disfunction and beer ads I am forced to watch. When a game is on the NFL Network I head out to watch with friends. My wife watches Game of Thrones on HBO. We spend over 1300 dolars a year on this and everything else we watch on Netflix and Amazon Prime which have their own fees.

With the Disney News yesterday it's clear a streaming world is the future. I want to pay to watch legally, but not 1200 dollars legally. I am sure it has been said that Center Ice blacks out local games and I am not interested in IP spoofing. I own a software company and understand rights. So does anyone know of a legal way and or have knowledge of anything coming anytime soon that would resolve this?

I think our best bet is going to be https://tv.youtube.com/if it ever gets to us.  https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/23/youtube-tv-expands-to-10-more-u-s-markets-adds-more-youtube-red-series/

For Sabres, I did pretty well last year with reddit links or my friend's NBC login when it was an NBCsports game. I sleep at night by paying for Center Ice despite the Sabres block.  And then I get to watch some Edmonton, and when on the road for work the Sabres games are a bonus.  We are OTA + Youtube Red + Netflix.  So $40 / month there.  Then I added turbo TWC given all the streaming  (2 adults 3 teens) so another $80-ish there.  Anyways I'd fork over $300-$500 a year to MSG directly without hesitation. I just can't justify $1200 per year for cable tv full of crap we don't watch.

I think our best bet is going to be https://tv.youtube.com/if it ever gets to us.  https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/23/youtube-tv-expands-to-10-more-u-s-markets-adds-more-youtube-red-series/

For Sabres, I did pretty well last year with reddit links or my friend's NBC login when it was an NBCsports game. I sleep at night by paying for Center Ice despite the Sabres block.  And then I get to watch some Edmonton, and when on the road for work the Sabres games are a bonus.  We are OTA + Youtube Red + Netflix.  So $40 / month there.  Then I added turbo TWC given all the streaming  (2 adults 3 teens) so another $80-ish there.  Anyways I'd fork over $300-$500 a year to MSG directly without hesitation. I just can't justify $1200 per year for cable tv full of crap we don't watch.

When the season starts Imma be PMing you.  I was relying on reddit links for most of the last few years and then last year it all kinda went to hell and what was left was popup heavy, ad heavy, slow my stuff down links that weren't worth my effort.  Maybe I wasn't aware of a better source there?

When the season starts Imma be PMing you.  I was relying on reddit links for most of the last few years and then last year it all kinda went to hell and what was left was popup heavy, ad heavy, slow my stuff down links that weren't worth my effort.  Maybe I wasn't aware of a better source there?

Same, provided I have the time to watch the team guilt-free.

I hear ya.  Some youtube guys were delivering consistently, the best one tweeted this week "see you all in oct!".

I don't understand the hostility towards Netflix. It's about the best deal going right now. For the price and what they have to offer, the bang for the buck factor is tenfold over cable (I have both). Hell, they could double their subscription fee and it would still be a deal. 

I like Netflix and Amazon instant video. But I'm also paying at&t $3700 a year for my phones and DirecTV. So I'm not one to talk to about deals.

I don't even have any packages or premium channels.

You need to threaten to cancel to get some sort of discount or deal. You should also work out some deals with some friends or family members. My girlfriend pays for Amazon Prime so we get to stream their stuff without it coming out of my pocket. I pay $21.38 each month to Netflix for 4 simultaneous streams and 1 dvd at a time that I share with various family. My older brother pays $11.99 (I think) for the Hulu with no commercials and we all share that. My Dad pays for HBO and Showtime through his Time Warner/Spectrum that I use through the Roku. Despite that I still pay for Directv but with threatening to cancel I'm paying around $79 per month with no premium channels, but I do have the whole home DVR, HD, and multiple boxes.

Edited by Drunkard

This has nothing to do with millennials.  Plenty of people have been sick of cable's all-or-nothing approach for a long, long time.  Cord-cutting is at an all-time high and continues to accelerate.  Companies like Disney are forced to adapt to the market's desires.

It does.  The general capacity of the millenial to understand a culture where on-demand does not exist just isn't there.  They've grown up in the digital age where everything can be streamed and where 8pm on a Thursday is not when a TV show HAS to be watched but when it COULD be watched.

Every generation faces this; just relax.

And the media was just as harsh on Gen Xers 20 years ago as it is on millennials now.  It's all just so stupid.

No generation before this faced this issue.  It's a new world.  The CD might have put a crimp in tapes and vinyl but the digital age changed everything.

Doesn't Netflix have over a billion dollars in debt?

Yea.. lots.. all on making content and I am sure they will make money in the end.  

Sabre Games can be streamed on the MSG Go App with Verizon Fios. If you know someone who has Fios in WNY, make friends with them.

Thanks for getting my hopes up, jerk! :)  The FAQ keeps on talking about FIOS tv provider, so if you only have FIOS internet you're not getting anything. To sum up, if you have FIOS TV, you can use the app. It sounds like that might work outside the Buffalo area, too.

• 1 month later...

Since tonight's game was really boring I decided to try to improve my stream quality.

A little background. I'm streaming nhl.tv on my PC and I have my PC connected to my TV. I am using a VPN service to mask my location so that I can watch Sabres games locally.

What I have found is that the framerate of the video is not good. My internet speed is excellent, but for whatever reason the video was choppy. This is frustrating given that I pay good money for NHL.tv.

So I ended up downloading an app called Kodi and it made all the difference. I had to reduce the HD playback level for the Sabres game, but other games didn't require it. Either way it fixed the choppiness and the video looks great!

Since tonight's game was really boring I decided to try to improve my stream quality.

A little background. I'm streaming nhl.tv on my PC and I have my PC connected to my TV. I am using a VPN service to mask my location so that I can watch Sabres games locally.

What I have found is that the framerate of the video is not good. My internet speed is excellent, but for whatever reason the video was choppy. This is frustrating given that I pay good money for NHL.tv.

So I ended up downloading an app called Kodi and it made all the difference. I had to reduce the HD playback level for the Sabres game, but other games didn't require it. Either way it fixed the choppiness and the video looks great!

Wrong thread?

Interesting. I have Kodi on the firestick and haven't found it to be very useful. Primary objective is/was sports streams.  I will put some more effort into VPN service with NHL.tv, last year I tried and failed.  

Having relied on NHL.tv for years, I genuinely believe it to be an MSG issue. Any other feed is usually excellent. The MSG teams, Sabres, Islanders, Rangers, Devils... their feeds are always poop.

Having relied on NHL.tv for years, I genuinely believe it to be an MSG issue. Any other feed is usually excellent. The MSG teams, Sabres, Islanders, Rangers, Devils... their feeds are always poop.

I think this is the case. I had no problem getting other streams to play perfectly right away on Kodi, but I had to manually drop the quality to get the MSG feeds to even play at all. It explains why the web browser feed is such crap since you can't exercise any control over the playback.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.