Streaming the Sabres Legally

BMWR100RT

Do you know what other methods for running the service on a laptop (windows) there are? I am having a horrific time trying to find information.

I use a media player called Kodi that works a lot better than using the browser. I just connect to my TV with an HDMI cable.

I'm in the Dallas Stars' TV market so I'm going to buy NHL.tv, hopefully they still have the student discount? This would give me access to every Sabres game not against the Stars or on national TV, and I think there are what, 7 of those? So I think it's worth it.

Now, I only have a laptop here, so should I just buy chromecast to use? I don't know how any of this stuff works.

There’s still a very nice student discount. Also a 10% discount if you pay with a Discover card (and you can combine this with the student discount). I think I paid $90 for the entire season.

I’ve run it on my laptop before, just through their website. It was alright. 98% of my streaming is done through my Xbox and I generally have a great experience with that. I’ll occasionally watch through the app on my phone while in bed. That is a surprisingly good picture.

I use a media player called Kodi that works a lot better than using the browser. I just connect to my TV with an HDMI cable.

I can't afford a TV  :oops:

There’s still a very nice student discount. Also a 10% discount if you pay with a Discover card (and you can combine this with the student discount). I think I paid $90 for the entire season.

I’ve run it on my laptop before, just through their website. It was alright. 98% of my streaming is done through my Xbox and I generally have a great experience with that. I’ll occasionally watch through the app on my phone while in bed. That is a surprisingly good picture.

So I can just go to the website and click a game and it'll play it? This is the piece of information I've been trying to track down. Nowhere on their site that I could see implied that this was the case at all or that you could even use a laptop to run it on the laptop itself and not to a television

I can't afford a TV :oops:

So I can just go to the website and click a game and it'll play it? This is the piece of information I've been trying to track down. Nowhere on their site that I could see implied that this was the case at all or that you could even use a laptop to run it on the laptop itself and not to a television

I am 99% sure I’ve done this before at my brother-in-laws house. There’s a slight chance I’m misremembering and I streamed those games through reddit. But yeah, I think so. Your NHL.tv account should be linked to your NHL.com login

Hey Flagg, it looks like you can definitely watch live right on your laptop. If you go to NHL.tv and click the "watch/listen" tab, it will take you to all of today's games. Of course there are none today, but I can go back and rewatch old games. For the sake of your schoolwork, pretend that feature doesn't exist :P 

Hey Flagg, it looks like you can definitely watch live right on your laptop. If you go to NHL.tv and click the "watch/listen" tab, it will take you to all of today's games. Of course there are none today, but I can go back and rewatch old games. For the sake of your schoolwork, pretend that feature doesn't exist :P

Sweet, thanks. :) And yeah hahah can't be wasting time tonight!

I've used both ChromeCast and Roku (a little, just got it).

Chromecast:

Model of operation: your smart device (phone or Chrome browser) tells the Chromecast "go play this stream", and it goes out to the internets and does it. Once it's kicked off, your smart device doesn't have much to do with it, other than control (pause, etc.).

Pros: you can start the game from your laptop or phone and then forget about it and use your device normally. The quality is pretty good; 1080p quality although the frame rate isn't always quite as good as a cable HD feed.

Side pro: a lot of other stuff works pretty well, you can cast youtube videos, etc. pretty easily. Also, many music services support it so you can play music through the TV with it's (hopefully) better speakers than a laptop or phone.

Cons: it is supposed to be different this year, but last year the Android app and Chromecast could only start "live", and not from the beginning of the game. IIRC, there was no rewind, but maybe pause worked. I don't know why, but I never tried it from the browser to start from the beginning. Also, you cannot control the quality so if there's a bandwidth issue the CC will skip or keep dropping between a lower quality and then trying the better quality for a bit and failing. Also Also, If I remember right, replays didn't pick up where you left off if you were interrupted so it behooved you to keep a note of roughly where you were in the feed so you could skip forward.

Side con: Amazon Video doesn't play well with Chromecast. You can cast a browser window, but the quality isn't as good as a real app.

Roku:

Roku is a little box that plugs into your TV. You use a remote or your phone to control it, more like a smart TV or Playstation. You launch the NHL app, select a feed, and the roku starts streaming.

Pros: doesn't involve any other devices at all, just wifi and TV. I believe you can start from the beginning, pause, rewind, etc. I haven't tried it enough to give a full review, but it did work the one game I played, although I just put it on and left it. Bonus pro: the Tunein app on roku gets the Bills games if you select WGR. The WGR and tunein apps on Android do not, and I believe that carries over to Chromecast too.

Cons: Incomplete; haven't run into them with my limited usage.

Edited by MattPie

How about you just get the NHL app for your IPAD like i do.  $111.96 for single team season, averages out to $1.36/game, obviously there will be a few MSNBCSN games, so maybe you end up paying $1.50/game.  Beats the hell out of crappy websites with pop-ups, illegal crap or legal stuff that just sucks and freezes.

Rogers NHL game night. Usually watch on my 24-inch Mac desktop.

Picture is fine, although worse for MSG than other networks, as others have noted.

Also works on my iPad very well and through AppleTV pretty well.

Only game I ever have blacked out is the one against the Canucks.

You can get a decent monitor for around a 100 bucks. 24 to 27 inches of real estate will look pretty good. I use a Roku stick to stream to my HDTV so it works for me. I will also say that NHL on an Ipad looks stunning.

Yes you can sign when at work all the time... didnt say that.

Four options but it would only load the multi cam one. I'd click any other one, get a brief circle, and it would go away and leave me at the screen again.

Ah. Okay. I can help you. Hold on.

There's a pop up menu on the left side and there should be options. You need to go in and lower the HD level manually by like 2 levels.

If you can't find it hold on and I'll track it down during a commerical break.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.