Streaming the Sabres Legally

BMWR100RT

If you are on a laptop, why not just use Firefox or chrome? I've never had an issue with them.

I've found MSG feeds to be choppy framerate wise using a browser. It's because MSG is crappy quality and nhltv tries to stream it too fast.

Using Kodi to manually lower the framerate basically fixes the issue

• 2 months later...

Youtube TV has launched in Rochester.  Real nice NBCSN feed tonight plus DVR'd, $30 / month after 1 week trial.  NBCSN, ESPN, ESPN2, CBSSN, Golf.  Really just needs the regional sports networks then it's a great deal.

Not when I can get everything for free it's not

Not when I can get everything for free it's not

I hear ya..  $30/m.  If it spares me the chase I'm in.  If not, cancel.  Compared to $75-$100 for Spectrum Cable that's a good deal.  Also family of 5 here, nice everyone gets locals + cable + dvr on their own device (phone/laptop/etc).

I hear ya..  $30/m.  If it spares me the chase I'm in.  If not, cancel.  Compared to $75-$100 for Spectrum Cable that's a good deal.  Also family of 5 here, nice everyone gets locals + cable + dvr on their own device (phone/laptop/etc).

Fair point, we're at very different points in our life family-wise

Sprint. Free Hulu. Cancel Netflix?

1% makes a difference... ask all those people who are the other 99%.

By the way, is it the ad-free Hulu or just the "reduced" commercial Hulu.  When I trialed the "reduced" commercial Hulu it was anything BUT reduced commercials and worse yet, it was literally the same 4 commercials over and over and over again.

1% makes a difference... ask all those people who are the other 99%.

By the way, is it the ad-free Hulu or just the "reduced" commercial Hulu.  When I trialed the "reduced" commercial Hulu it was anything BUT reduced commercials and worse yet, it was literally the same 4 commercials over and over and over again.

I agree. I've had Sprint for years and their service/signal is such a crap shoot once you're outside of the city limits of whatever town you're in. Hulu with no commercials is much better than the limited commercials. That extra $4 to get commercial free is completely worth it.

This is what I'm doing from Atlanta with my sister's Directv ID.

I see we're talking quasi-legally now. :) I have NHL.tv, but I use my sister's account to watch NBC Sports. I should really investigate MSG GO too if it doesn't get blocked in local markets so I can catch Philly games.

I see we're talking quasi-legally now. :) I have NHL.tv, but I use my sister's account to watch NBC Sports. I should really investigate MSG GO too if it doesn't get blocked in local markets so I can catch Philly games.

I dumped Directv last year as my bill was upwards of $160 month with 4 TVs and had Center Ice as well. Now have Directv Now with AT&T Fiber so no prob streaming. So total bill is now $105 for both. I figure I paid Directv enough to stream a few games on MSG GO. And I have no issues with quality ...

Edited by Gramps

• 1 year later...

Well, I cut the cord.   Thirty years of cable tv and over $60 thousand after tax dollars later, I am a high speed internet only viewer.  My monthly bill drops from $215 (internet, landline, tv) to $60 (100/100 internet).  I added DirecTVNow ($50) and Netflix ($11, five users).  I get iTunes, HBO, HBOGO, and Amazon Prime.  Oh, and TED and Pandora and stuff ....  I’m pretty set.  I believe I’ve cut my bill in half.

I have a few months to figure out how to get my Sabres.  I’m using AppleTV with my streaming service and my Apps.  NHL.TV is the only option I’ve discovered with my configuration.  I have the App and an account.  I’ve not made the purchase, yet.  It looks like $140 for one year, which is approximately what I paid for the NHL package with my cable company.  I will investigate the MSG App and its cost.

Any other legal options, I’d be much obliged ..

Now, I have to go.  My neighbor has a lawn mower in his garage and I’m going to take it.  I pay enough for home maintenance and don’t think a lawn mower is worth the price I’ve seen at Home Depot.  Pffft, the hell with that.  I do enjoy a mowed lawn, though!  I figure that if my neighbor wanted me to pay for my own mower, he’d lock his garage.

Edited by Neo
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Neo said:

Well, I cut the cord.   Thirty years of cable tv and over $60 thousand after tax dollars later, I am a high speed internet only viewer.  My monthly bill drops from $215 (internet, landline, tv) to $60 (100/100 internet).  I added DirecTVNow ($50) and Netflix ($11, five users).  I get iTunes, HBO, HBOGO, and Amazon Prime.  Oh, and TED and Pandora and stuff ....  I’m pretty set.  I believe I’ve cut my bill in half.

I have a few months to figure out how to get my Sabres.  I’m using AppleTV with my streaming service and my Apps.  NHL.TV is the only option I’ve discovered with my configuration.  I have the App and an account.  I’ve not made the purchase, yet.  It looks like $140 for one year, which is approximately what I paid for the NHL package with my cable company.  I will investigate the MSG App and its cost.

Now, I have to go.  My neighbor has a lawn mower in his garage and I’m going to take it.  I pay enough for home maintenance and don’t think a lawn mower is worth the price I’ve seen at Home Depot.  Pffft, the hell with that.  I do enjoy a mowed lawn, though!  I figure that if my neighbor wanted me to pay for my own mower, he’d lock his garage.

49 minutes ago, Weave said:

MSG app?  Someone tell me more.

Or I could look it up......

As of right now, the MSG Go App is available to users who have a cable package, Verizon Fios or Direct TV package that receives MSG WNY. You need to sign in with your user name and password associated with the account to login to the MSG Go App. 

Fubo TV might be something to look into as the Sabres Games are carried nationally on that APP I believe. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Neo said:

Internet, Prime, SlingTV. Went from, like you, $215 a month to around $120. I added NHLTV for (I don’t remember how much but it’s worth every penny, maybe $159 a season) to see more hockey than you can shake a stick at.

Pro tip - if you get your internet through cable, just plug a cable directly into your TV and run the auto-scanner for digital stations. Once you pare down the station list down from the 49 Home Shopping Networks and duplicates, you get all the local channels that they have to broadcast on the cable. And if you have a Samsung TV, they have a bunch of TVPlus channels for free (there is a much watched 24/7 This Old House channel).

I’d say I get around 40 channels to watch that way, in addition to the rest. For free.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

As of right now, the MSG Go App is available to users who have a cable package, Verizon Fios or Direct TV package that receives MSG WNY. You need to sign in with your user name and password associated with the account to login to the MSG Go App. 

Fubo TV might be something to look into as the Sabres Games are carried nationally on that APP I believe. 

Basically Fubo will cost you 40 and spectrum you can get streaming packages anywhere from 8.  Spectrum streaming quality sucks. Tons of issues. None with Fubo or Direct TV. 

• Like (+1) 1

For the record, and in light of my snark, my position on the virtue ladder is no higher than anyone else’s.  I just believe figs are figs, troughs are troughs, and spades are spades.  Language!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.