Will Butcher To Hit Free Agency

bob_sauve28

I have no idea if Butcher signs here. I think it's about 20% considering Guhle, Antipin and the 5 guys under contract for some length. I l also don't know if he is good enough to make this team this season.

I want him because he is a winner and we need more players who know how to win in this organization. As Capt of U of D he won the Hobey Baker and lead his team to the NCAA Championship. Not even something Jack could do.

I could be wrong, but do we have anyone on the roster who has won a Stanely, Calder or Memorial Cup? Anyone else with an NCAA Championship (Florentino ok). Certainly gus like Risto and Reinhart have won World Jr titles, but that isn't the same for me as leading a team to a full season league or NCAA championship.

Edit: Beaulieu won a Memorial Cup in 2011. I did a quick look and Gorges and Kane won Memorial Cups.

Robin Lehner won a Calder Cup in 2011. 

He went 14-4 with a 2.10 GAA and 0.939 Save % in the playoffs.

But I am pretty sure it was just the result of the system employed by the coach. He'll forget how to stop pucks in Housley's system that we haven't even seen yet. Or so I am told. 

Edited by Sakman

Maybe. Drury made a significant impact his first year after winning the Hobey Baker and the NCAA during 4 years at BU. He was the ROY in the NHL and a key figure in the Avs Cup team a few years later.

Butcher is more then some marginal prospect. I think he is a superior player to Brian Dumoulin and might make the Ssbres this season if he signs.

On a team with Jack Eichel, Ristolainen, and veterans such as Pominville, Okposo, and O'Reilly, Will Butcher is going to step up and be a leader

Maybe. Drury made a significant impact his first year after winning the Hobey Baker and the NCAA during 4 years at BU. He was the ROY in the NHL and a key figure in the Avs Cup team a few years later.

Butcher is more then some marginal prospect. I think he is a superior player to Brian Dumoulin and might make the Ssbres this season if he signs.

So a 22yr old Drury did more than 18yr old Jack. Fantastic

1.  Butcher / = Drury and never will.  And even Drury never lead a team to the Cup (derby shin pads be damned), even if he happened to be on a team that won one.

2.  Butcher is a definite AHLer with a ceiling of second pair NHL.  Absolute ceiling.  It would be nice to have him in the system, but let's be a little more realistic.

Edited by Eleven

Dude. Brian Dumoulin is a no-BS top 4 defenseman on a cup winning team. He faced the hardest competition of any defenseman that played the whole season for them (only Hainsey faced harder competition overall) and did well. Will Butcher will not make any non-Vegas/NJ NHL roster this year, and is a small defenseman prospect with skating issues. 

There are loads of players that win tournaments and will never touch NHL ice, and that's because they aren't good enough hockey players. Will Butcher has a much greater chance of this happening to him than he does of becoming what Brian Dumoulin is. 

And if he's superior to Dumoulin already, he would be the Sabres' second or third best defenseman. The Avs forum on hfboards did an annual prospect ranking of their own team last season like all of the others usually do. This was before Butcher left and gave them any hard feelings. They ranked him 17th out of their prospect pool. 

His failure to improve his skating at this point will make him a solid AHL player at best.

Butcher coming out of the NCAA is a better player then Dumoulin was at 22. BD took 3 years in the AHL to develop. Imho Butcher is close to NHL ready now. For those who keep calling him a marginal prospect, why did half the NHL make a pitch for him? Why is our intelligent GM who brought college guys like Rust, Sheary and BD to Pitt, making the hard sell to bring Butcher here? I guess y'all know more then Jbot?

As to Drury he came into a string team with established stars like Sakic, Forsberg and Roy, but when they won the Cup 3 years later he was among the strong voices in the lockerroom.

Butcher coming out of the NCAA is a better player then Dumoulin was at 22. BD took 3 years in the AHL to develop. Imho Butcher is close to NHL ready now. For those who keep calling him a marginal prospect, why did half the NHL make a pitch for him? Why is our intelligent GM who brought college guys like Rust, Sheary and BD to Pitt, making the hard sell to bring Butcher here? I guess y'all know more then Jbot?

As to Drury he came into a string team with established stars like Sakic, Forsberg and Roy, but when they won the Cup 3 years later he was among the strong voices in the lockerroom.

Our intelligent gm is going after him because he has the potential to be an NHL player. Only an idiot wouldn't try to get a free young defender, especially for a team lacking depth.

Okay, you read like you were saying that Butcher is better than Dumoulin right now. 

Because everyone wants a free asset, whether they think that asset's ceiling is Hart Trophy or ECHL piece. The fact that teams are trying to sign a college UFA for their AHL teams in late August doesn't mean that he has some untapped potential that us simpletons are refusing to see. Which is why whenever I see stuff like your "I guess y'all know more then Jbot" directed towards message board posters I roll my eyes. 

Butcher has mediocre skating and for his size, any NHL success requires much better skating than he has. Colorado fans liked his selection at the time because they figured he'd be able to grow in his skating enough for that to happen, but as the years passed and his skating didn't progress they lost interest in him, which is why he was 17th on their prospect list last summer and 16th the summer before. 

I will make any avatar or charity bet in the world that Butcher will not touch Dumoulin's level. 

My money is on NJ.

Believe it or not, the Knights actually have a log jam at D.

nice call Pi

I still say NJD because it's definitely his best chance to play in the show this season... their depth chart on D is horrendous.

nice pi2000, tremendous guess, in fact it's the best guess Ive ever seen, all kinds of people tell me it's the best guess. just tremendous.

People always ask me about Will Butcher, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Will Butcher. I know everything about Will Butcher, he's going to be huge. I love Will Butcher. No one loves Will Butcher more than me, BELIEVE ME. We're going to have so many Will Butchers you are going to get sick of Will Butcher.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.