Mittelstadt - Hobey Baker?

WildCard

My biggest concern for Casey going into the draft was that he played against lesser competition all year. Typically that has the effect of slowing development and putting you behind your peers. He didn't have to raise his game so he didn't is the typical thought process. Like when Pittsburgh comes to Buffalo and plays down to us for a period or two before they remember hey we are better. Casey thus far seems to be an exception. It has been so long since Buffalo had the exception I am highly skeptical of it being true. 

What I can say is that since his draft Mittelstadt has done everything in his power to show he is not only capable of playing with tougher competition but also extremely good at it. The world junior showcase, the beauty league highlights, he seems to just click wherever. The Sabres dev camp he was basically the best player, at 18, and we had some 22 year olds out there in their 3rd camp. His first year at college will be a trial for him because of all the adjustments that have to happen but I am very eager to see him at the WJC and hopefully next summer in Buffalo. 

I am optimistic about him. Cautiously so but he hasn't even remotely disappointed yet. Can't imagine what a full year of a college strength and condition program will do for him. 

Cautiously optimistic. I'm in that same boat.

I've mentioned to my wife a couple of times how I think he's going to be great. She says haven't you said that about a few other prospects who didn't work out. True point. Cautiously optimistic it is.

Cautiously optimistic. I'm in that same boat.

I've mentioned to my wife a couple of times how I think he's going to be great. She says haven't you said that about a few other prospects who didn't work out. True point. Cautiously optimistic it is.

But, really, how often do we draft at 8 or higher? He has the pedigree. Ristolainen was at 8, he's our top D-man. Eichel above that, speaks for himself. Reinhart is doing very well. Sure Nylander struggled in the AHL, but being his first year playing against grown men, it's not really a concern right now.

I'm trying to temper my expectations as well, but for where he was picked in the draft (and where he was ranked), Mittelstadt is right on target.

Cautiously optimistic. I'm in that same boat. I've mentioned to my wife a couple of times how I think he's going to be great. She says haven't you said that about a few other prospects who didn't work out. True point. Cautiously optimistic it is.

Your wife knows you better then you know yourself.  Just like all of us.

Sorry, Charlie.

Starkist doesn't want tuna with good taste.  Starkist wants tuna that tastes good.

+++++

You will find out when you grow ... all married men wifes know them better than they know themselves, silly.

And if you don't believe it....... Just ask her!!!

What'd you say about my wife?? :0

:D

Sorry, Charlie.

Starkist doesn't want tuna with good taste.  Starkist wants tuna that tastes good.

+++++

You will find out when you grow ... all married men wifes know them better than they know themselves, silly.

Just they way you posted it gave me a chuckle

• 2 weeks later...

imagine what he'll be able to do when he can do a pull-up

I'd imagine he'll be able to give really great high fives

^ Eichel himself couldn't pull that move off! Outstanding.

I disagree. I will say the stick handling doesn't impress me as much as his footwork.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.