Mittelstadt - Hobey Baker?

WildCard

1. Just exhibition.

2. Against a Canadian university team.  Canadian college hockey is not nearly at the level of US college hockey.

I really wish they'd stop scheduling those games.  I've seen a few get ugly after the score gets out of hand.  Fighting in this scrimmage gets you suspended for your regular season opener.

1. Just exhibition.

2. Against a Canadian university team.  Canadian college hockey is not nearly at the level of US college hockey.

I don't have the U. Of Alberta's roster but I would imagine they have quite a few ex-CHL players there. No top flight prospects as they would be playing pro, but many junior players take advantage of scholarship money from their years in Major Junior hockey. The OHL here provides a year of paid education for every year of Junior that the guy has played.

Like I said earlier, they're not developing pros but many of the players are ex-junior. Competitive teams.

Beauty pass for an assist in the legends first 'semi-official' game. Only ended up with the one point though.They have him playing centre on the third line. I could see him moving into the top six by next month.

It’s official. Ice Breaker tourney. Mn Duluth is a good squad.

Somebody had to say it....The Hobey Baker Award is a crock. It's an overblown award. It reflects mostly mediocrity. Look at this list. Since 1981, you have Paul Kariya, Chris Drury, Matt Carle, Johnny Gaudreau and Jack Eichel. Since 1981. That's 36 years. The rest are footnotes to history or just regular NHLers. Only two HB winners that I know of have even won a cup, unless I stand corrected...it's not much more than that. Many HB winners since 2005 are not even in the league. Sure, USA hockey keeps getting better but if you look at this list, winning the HB Award seems like more of a curse than anything. Remember Holzinger?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobey_Baker_Award

Somebody had to say it....The Hobey Baker Award is a crock. It's an overblown award. It reflects mostly mediocrity. Look at this list. Since 1981, you have Paul Kariya, Chris Drury, Matt Carle, Johnny Gaudreau and Jack Eichel. Since 1981. That's 36 years. The rest are footnotes to history or just regular NHLers. Only two HB winners that I know of have even won a cup, unless I stand corrected...it's not much more than that. Many HB winners since 2005 are not even in the league. Sure, USA hockey keeps getting better but if you look at this list, winning the HB Award seems like more of a curse than anything. Remember Holzinger?

It's not a crock. It legitimately means a lot in NCAA hockey. It is their league MVP award. It just doesn't have good NHL predictability. Every single sports league out there has one, I assume. Doesn't mean they're all crocks since only the pro ones tell you how good of a pro the player is.

Its purpose isn't to award the player who is most likely going to be an NHL star, it is to award the best player in the league it is awarded in, and it does that well.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I do. And in defense of Holzinger, he was a respectable middle-six center on a team that went to the ECF and Stanley Cup Final in back-to-back seasons. His career was mostly on not-very-offensive teams smack dab in the middle of the dead-puck era. No, he wasn't a #1 center, but he was a sixth-round pick (124th overall --- now, 20-odd years later after all the expansion 124th overall is the final pick of the fourth round). But still, the Sabres didn't draft him expecting to get LaFontaine 2.0.

It's not a crock. It legitimately means a lot in NCAA hockey. It is their league MVP award. It just doesn't have good NHL predictability.

All true -- it's a good award. But these kids are drafted at 18 and don't win the HB until age 21-22*. Except Kariya and Eichel and maybe someone else along the way.

Edited by DarthEbriate

All true -- it's a good award. But these kids are drafted at 18 and don't win the HB until age 21-22*. Except Kariya and Eichel and maybe someone else along the way.

And far too often, the elite leave before they would have truly had a shot at the award.  Even with the level of talent these kids have, it's tough for an 18 year old to out class a 22 or 23 year old.  There's also a character aspect that the voters like to factor in on the selections.  That right away typically biases them towards the upperclassmen.

And far too often, the elite leave before they would have truly had a shot at the award.  Even with the level of talent these kids have, it's tough for an 18 year old to out class a 22 or 23 year old.  There's also a character aspect that the voters like to factor in on the selections.  That right away typically biases them towards the upperclassmen.

Why?  Because by that age their drinking is no longer illegal?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.