Mittelstadt - Hobey Baker?

WildCard

Still think one of Nylander or Reinhart get traded

They won't be moving either. Both can play wing, which is a need on this team (especially LW). A lot of hate for Reinhart, a guy with 50+ points as a 20/21 year old. And if Nylander follows the trajectory his brother William Did, he'll have a breakout year in 2018/2019

They won't be moving either. Both can play wing, which is a need on this team (especially LW). A lot of hate for Reinhart, a guy with 50+ points as a 20/21 year old. And if Nylander follows the trajectory his brother William Did, he'll have a breakout year in 2018/2019

Sam Reinhart's max point total is 47 thus far in his career. While I believe he will get 50+ this year, that statement isn't correct. 

Mittelstadt has dominated at the Jr showcase. He'll be on the World Jr team in Buffalo from 12/26/17 to 1/5/2018. If he plays well there, he'll probably be asked to play in the Olympics as well. The Olympic Tourney is 2/10/18 to 2/25/18. There are also usually some pre-tourney events and games. Gohper hockey goes from 10/1/17 to 2/24/2018 with the Big Ten tourney 3/2/18 to 3/17/18 and the NCAA Tourney 4/5/18 to 4/7/18.

So here is my question. I'm sure Jbot wouldn't mind Casey getting tons of International experience, but will the Gophers let him leave the team for a month to play in the Olympics right in the heart of their season? The Gophers have a 34 game season. He'd only miss 2 games for the World Jrs. If playing in the Olympics he'd miss at least the last 6 games of the season (all conference) and maybe the last 9. The bottomline is that Casey could miss 1/3 of the Gophers season. I don't think they'll allow one of the their best players to go awol for that long. Thoughts?

Mittelstadt has dominated at the Jr showcase. He'll be on the World Jr team in Buffalo from 12/26/17 to 1/5/2018. If he plays well there, he'll probably be asked to play in the Olympics as well. The Olympic Tourney is 2/10/18 to 2/25/18. There are also usually some pre-tourney events and games. Gohper hockey goes from 10/1/17 to 2/24/2018 with the Big Ten tourney 3/2/18 to 3/17/18 and the NCAA Tourney 4/5/18 to 4/7/18.

So here is my question. I'm sure Jbot wouldn't mind Casey getting tons of International experience, but will the Gophers let him leave the team for a month to play in the Olympics right in the heart of their season? The Gophers have a 34 game season. He'd only miss 2 games for the World Jrs. If playing in the Olympics he'd miss at least the last 6 games of the season (all conference) and maybe the last 9. The bottomline is that Casey could miss 1/3 of the Gophers season. I don't think they'll allow one of the their best players to go awol for that long. Thoughts?

It is very rare for a college to keep their student athletes from competing in the Olympics. 

It is very rare for a college to keep their student athletes from competing in the Olympics. 

While having no idea what their actual policy is, if they were to keep an athlete from competing for his country in the olympics because he would miss 6 games of a freshman season, well then shame on them.  Olympics are much bigger than college hockey and if he competes and does well it will actually gain exposure for their program, and id expect they realize that. Who knows if he would ever get a shot to play in the olympics again 

While having no idea what their actual policy is, if they were to keep an athlete from competing for his country in the olympics because he would miss 6 games of a freshman season, well then shame on them.  Olympics are much bigger than college hockey and if he competes and does well it will actually gain exposure for their program, and id expect they realize that. Who knows if he would ever get a shot to play in the olympics again

Yup. If Casey is asked to play, and wants to play in the Olympics, he'll be there.

Per Cory Pronman

USA's World Junior GM Jim Johansson said Ryan Poehling (MTL), Casey Mittelstadt (BUF) and Adam Fox (CGY) were the standout performers to him for the WJC camp. Also mentioned Dylan Samberg (WPG) as a player who elevated his game above expectations.

Wonder if this increases his Olympic Chances? A good WJCs could put him over the top.

I know someone else has probably said this, but watching these highlights reinforces the impression I formed the first time I watched Mittelstadt:

His style of skating and playmaking is very Patrick Kane-like.

Here's hoping he avoids cabs and takes Uber, or better yet, his own private driver!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.