How much should Kane' s extension be?

I-90 W

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the exension be for?

• 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
  2. 2. How much $ should the extension offer be?

• $4.5 m
    • $5.5 m
    • $6.5 m
    • $7 m

Paging Mike Richards....

Well, I don't think Richards lost his $$ because of a behavior clause in his contract -- I think the Kings relied on a provision in the CBA that allowed them to terminate the contract under extreme circumstances.  So, if Kane were to be convicted for some kind of felony, the Sabres could probably do the same thing, but not for being late to practice, not stretching enough, being standoffish or self-absorbed, etc.

I almost wonder if Kane has a higher value at next year's deadline than he does being traded now. Assuming he keeps score this coming season, any playoff bound team would bid on him. They'll be no downside and little risk, only the benefits of him point up points in the postseason. Only a few teams are willing to trade for him now because only a few (or maybe none) are willing to deal with a whole year of potential off-ice antics. Those antics are highly unlikely to surface from a 1-2 month long playoff run. Then the team can be done with him.

True, we could get the highest return for him at the trade deadline. The only rub is risking him being injured but other than that it could work great.

My blind guess is that JB didn't like what he was being offered so chose to roll the dice and wait.

The problem with waiting until the deadline is that the return would almost certainly be limited to picks/prospects -- i.e. not a top-4 Dman or other assets that could help the Sabres immediately.

There's also the fact JBot traded two of our top five left wingers, lost a third to expansion and Moulson is the fourth.

And he upgraded the D without using the Kane chip.

I was wrong. It seems pretty clear trading Kane is not Plan A.

Manfully admitted.

We are still left with the pressing question of what JBott's plans are for Kaner.

I don't think JBott has decided yet.  I think he wants to see how Kane behaves over the summer, in training camp and perhaps the first month of the season before deciding whether to offer him a fat extension.

Well, I don't think Richards lost his $$ because of a behavior clause in his contract -- I think the Kings relied on a provision in the CBA that allowed them to terminate the contract under extreme circumstances. So, if Kane were to be convicted for some kind of felony, the Sabres could probably do the same thing, but not for being late to practice, not stretching enough, being standoffish or self-absorbed, etc.

The problem with waiting until the deadline is that the return would almost certainly be limited to picks/prospects -- i.e. not a top-4 Dman or other assets that could help the Sabres immediately.

Manfully admitted.

We are still left with the pressing question of what JBott's plans are for Kaner.

I don't think JBott has decided yet. I think he wants to see how Kane behaves over the summer, in training camp and perhaps the first month of the season before deciding whether to offer him a fat extension.

If we have to lose him at trade deadline I wouldn't mind picking twice in the first round next draft and maybe getting a solid d prospect.

Question is will JB discuss contract negotiation with Kane' s agent during the season? In this case I would certainly think so.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

There's also the fact JBot traded two of our top five left wingers, lost a third to expansion and Moulson is the fourth.

And he upgraded the D without using the Kane chip.

I was wrong. It seems pretty clear trading Kane is not Plan A.

You weren't necessarily wrong. Maybe he wanted to trade Kane, but the trade value was as poopy as some have suspected, so he changed course.

I think the most likely explanation is that he's just undecided and wants to let things play out, unless his doors got blown off by an offer. See how he works with Housley, the new system, and stays clean off ice.

• 2 weeks later...

Details? Please?

Sorry, can't.

A highly regarded member posted something and then had second thoughts about it, but it lead to some discussion.  That member asked that a portion of the thread that this happened in be deleted and the mods, to their credit, deleted the thread.  It was the right thing to do.  It's as if the thread never happened.

Sorry, can't.

A highly regarded member posted something and then had second thoughts about it, but it lead to some discussion.  That member asked that a portion of the thread that this happened in be deleted and the mods, to their credit, deleted the thread.  It was the right thing to do.  It's as if the thread never happened.

I think I read what you are talking about.

Thank you.

Sorry, can't.

But but but.....YOU were there! And Smell was there too!! And..and..Wildcard!.....I can't have dreamed it I just can't!

Sorry, can't.

I caught that stuff at lunch time.  Did not know the poster asked for deletion.  Right thing to do. 

Nuts.  I was hoping for drama.

The thread wasn't deleted -- just today's 2nd-thoughts material.  So hopefully everything is copacetic.

Boy, if life were only like that...

Thanks.  It was the right thing to do.

And, my mistake concerning the whole thread being deleted, but it makes sense what you said about it dropping a few pages.

If only!!

The hockey skill Kane brings can't be understated, it's much needed.... And if his shooting percentage can come up just a touch then we're cooking.

Good luck with that. His s% was a career high this year, some 4% points higher than it usually is, which is a huge leap.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.