Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

That was an awesome goal. My favorite is also one I'm fuzzy about. Hoping for some better minds to fill the gaps.

Jack took a pass in the offensive zone a the top of the face off circle. He quickly glided to his left (I think) fired a shot on goal and finding the upper corner. 

But what made that ply remarkable is from a rear angle, the shot curved from right to left before finding the back of the net. It looked like it curved a good foot. He actually shot a curve ball with a hockey puck.

The goalie was just stunned it went on. 

Versus Calgary. I'll grab the video

https://youtu.be/Yv-iCQIQfOk?t=171

Versus Calgary. I'll grab the video

https://youtu.be/Yv-iCQIQfOk?t=171

I was at that game with my brother, and during the next media break, he found a replay of it on Twitter. We're sitting in the stands freaking out about what we were seeing, and we can hear the people around us are mumbling that "we'd enjoy the game more if we got our faces out of our gadgets." Boy, were they wrong.

I watched that this morning.  I drew two conclusions:  (1) you're right, his shot really is amazing; (2) (YOU ALL WILL HATE ME FOR THIS) RJ has kind of become a caricature of himself.  He still describes games really, really well.  Probably the best in the business.  But it's become over the top when the Sabs score.

Can't say fairer than that. I think winning hockey will lead to an improvement. At least I hope.

My goodness, WHAT WHAT WHAT? These are very bold statements. I leave for an ARMS session on switch, come back to an RJ bashing. Keep it up and I'm changing my profile pic to RJ in his defense.

Seriously guys, my eyes are rolling; as in top shelf where momma hides the cookies. Love RJ!

I still love him.

One of the greatest tragedies of this or any generation is that RJs twilight years have been pissed away on the tank years.

I watched the fewest amount of games last year in the last 20 years.

I was more invested in the tank year than last and THAT is the sad part.

The upward trend starts this season.

I was just watching that video after visiting this thread yesterday. I still cant get over the OT winner from Kane against Carolina.

That was an amazing goal. I think that was in his rookie season, correct?

Dunleavy is atrocious. If you listen on the radio you have no idea what is going on.

That's going to be a problem.  The RJ simulcast works because he was radio first.

They're going to have to go to separate broadcast crews when RJ does finally hang 'em up. A radio pbp nessecarily needs to be more descriptive than TV pbp. Like you said, the simulcast only worked because RJ had been the radio announcer first.

Not at all.  There's really no great reason for urgency.  Whether he signs now or just before training camp makes no difference.  It's probably not anything Jack and the top brass are discussing; it's probably just lawyers swapping minutia.

Anyone else getting a touch nervous?  Not full blown 'step back from the edge' but it's been a month of negotiating and it's been eerily quiet the past couple of weeks.

Not even a smidgen of nervousness.

Ryan Johansen, coming off his 24 year old season with a whopping 14 goals in 82 games (I know he's better than that...but still) just got $8M per for 8 years. 

Ain't no way we're keeping Jack for less than $9M per year. 

Ryan Johansen, coming off his 24 year old season with a whopping 14 goals in 82 games (I know he's better than that...but still) just got $8M per for 8 years.

Ain't no way we're keeping Jack for less than $9M per year.

This contract is ridiculous. I guess we now know what the hold up has been about with Jack. My guess is he'll be getting 10/8.

Remember when you are amking comparisons that Johansen's contract is for seven UFA years.

Jack's - if he signs for eight years - will be for four UFA years.

Johansen made $4 million per in years 4, 5 and 6.

Although I prefer O'Reilly, Johansen is an O'Reilly level player, so I guess it's a market value contract.

Seems overpaid to me.

Remember when you are amking comparisons that Johansen's contract is for seven UFA years.

Jack's - if he signs for eight years - will be for four UFA years.

Johansen made $4 million per in years 4, 5 and 6.

Although I prefer O'Reilly, Johansen is an O'Reilly level player , so I guess it's a market value contract.

Seems overpaid to me.

I really don't think he is. About the same offensively, but nowhere near as good defensively. Edited by TrueBlueGED

Of interest in contract discussions:

"Eichel and McDavid have scoring rates of 6.25 and 6.22 points per 60 minutes, which rank fourth and fifth among forwards."

https://www.nhl.com/news/behind-the-numbers-building-the-best-nhl-power-play-unit/c-290514880

That's on the PP, sure, but still impressive.

Edited by Thorny