Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

I thought that front loaded contracts were forbidden in the current CBA?  Maybe that was the last one?

Front loaded is ok, but there are various stipulations. Something about how the highest year salary can be no more than 50% higher than the lowest year salary and some other mumbo jumbo I can't remember. So we can front load it, but not to the point where they used to get front loaded in the past such as the Kovalchuck, Ehrhoff, and Hossa deals that end up with multiple seasons paying only $1 million per year at the end of the contract to artificially lower the AAV with the old wink wink that the player would retire or fake/embellish an injury (cough Hossa cough) conveniently when the contract starts paying them pennies in comparison to earlier in the contract.

And I believe it's only front loaded in real dollars. The AAV against the cap will be equal throughout the deal.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/carey-price

I seem to recall the Sabres having a few of these "bonus" heavy deals. I wasn't sure whether it meant the contract was front-loaded, or whether the nature of the annual payments was actually different. IIRC: A bonus-heavy player may receive $1,250,000 in base salary in, say, year 2 of the deal as well as a $7.5M bonus that same year, for total compensation of $8.75M in year 2. There's something about how a renegotiated CBA presumably can't reach our touch the bonuses, but it can claw back salary.

I seem to recall the Sabres having a few of these "bonus" heavy deals. I wasn't sure whether it meant the contract was front-loaded, or whether the nature of the annual payments was actually different. IIRC: A bonus-heavy player may receive $1,250,000 in base salary in, say, year 2 of the deal as well as a $7.5M bonus that same year, for total compensation of $8.75M in year 2. There's something about how a renegotiated CBA presumably can't reach our touch the bonuses, but it can claw back salary.

Bonuses impact the cap the same way salary does. The reason players prefer their money in bonus form is because it isn't subject to escrow from the league. Plus I think they get paid at the beginning of the league year (July 1st) so the player gets the money up front rather than over the course of the season. If a season gets shortened due to strike/lockout, salaries are pro-rated but bonuses are paid in full.

Having Daddy Warbucks and his deep pockets allows us to pay players through signing bonuses rather than salary which favors us and other big money teams. I hope this doesn't get restricted under the next CBA. I imagine it will be though because there are already grumblings about escrow shortages from artificially raising the cap in the past when there wasn't a big enough boost in revenues to justify it. We'll see.

Edited by Drunkard

Well, McDavid officially signs.  8 years $100 mil.  $12.5 mil per.  What does Jack go for?  I'm thinking/hoping 8 years at 9.5 or 10 per.

Edit:  Ok I'm hoping for $8-$9 but expecting $9.5-$10.

Edited by Derrico

Well, McDavid officially signs.  8 years $100 mil.  $12.5 mil per.  What does Jack go for?  I'm thinking/hoping 8 years at 9.5 or 10 per.

Edit:  Ok I'm hoping for $8-$9 but expecting $9.5-$10.

He's by far my favorite player but he can't base his contract off McDavid's. He should be content with 8x9 IF he extends now.

With McDavid’s deal squared away, the Oilers will turn their attention to locking down Leon Draisaitl. If anything, Draisaitl’s skill has been overshadowed by playing with McDavid, but I think he’s every bit the 1B talent as Evgeni Malkin (and is ahead of Nicklas Backstrom, and surely even Toews.) Draisaitl is reportedly seeking an eight-year extension with an AAV around $9 million.

http://deadspin.com/connor-mcdavid-is-a-100-million-bargain-but-the-oiler-1796651344

If Draisaitl is going to get that term and value -- 8x9 -- then Eichel is probably getting more.

In their respective Year 2's in the NHL:

PPG:

Eichel - .93

Draisaitl - .71 (.94)

SOG per game:

Eichel - 4.08

Draisaitl - 1.85 ( 2.10)

I'm not good at the #fancystats, and I don't know precisely what these signify. But I think the numbers indicate that Jack's a step up from Draisaitl.

The parenthetical numbers above are Draisaitl in year 3. Oh, and Draisaitl's SH% has been pretty gaudy - 15% over the past two seasons. If that were to trend a bit back toward a more normal rate (not even sure what that is, actually), he's going to be seen as under-producing any hefty contract.

Anyway. Draisaitl. Maybe he's the comparable we need to keep an eye on.

With McDavid’s deal squared away, the Oilers will turn their attention to locking down Leon Draisaitl. If anything, Draisaitl’s skill has been overshadowed by playing with McDavid, but I think he’s every bit the 1B talent as Evgeni Malkin (and is ahead of Nicklas Backstrom, and surely even Toews.) Draisaitl is reportedly seeking an eight-year extension with an AAV around $9 million.[/size]

http://deadspin.com/connor-mcdavid-is-a-100-million-bargain-but-the-oiler-1796651344

The Draisaitl love out there has officially jumped the shark. This guy will not be Malkin. He's going to get drastically overpaid.

If Draisaitl is going to get that term and value -- 8x9 -- then Eichel is probably getting more.

PPG:

Eichel - .93

Draisaitl - .71 (.94)

SOG per game:

Eichel - 4.08

Draisaitl - 1.85 ( 2.10)

I'm not good at the #fancystats, and I don't know precisely what these signify. But I think the numbers indicate that Jack's a step up from Draisaitl.

The parenthetical numbers above are Draisaitl in year 3. Oh, and Draisaitl's SH% has been pretty gaudy - 15% over the past two seasons. If that were to trend a bit back toward a more normal rate (not even sure what that is, actually), he's going to be seen as under-producing any hefty contract.

If we somehow luck out and get Eichel for what the Oil pay Draisaitl, I'll do cartwheels. Eichel will be (and is) a significantly better player to my eye than Draisaitl is. And Draisaitl is very good.

PPG:

Eichel - .93

Draisaitl - .71 (.94)

SOG per game:

Eichel - 4.08

Draisaitl - 1.85 ( 2.10)

I'm not sure Edmonton will extend Draisaitl 8 years now coming off the McDavid extension. He may only agree to a five year now and then walk as a ufa to make more elsewhere. I hope someone offer sheets him though, Edmonton deserves that.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

I'm not sure Edmonton will extend Draisaitl 8 years now coming off the McDavid extension. He may only agree to a five year now and then walk as a ufa to make more elsewhere. I hope someone offer sheets him though, Edmonton deserves that.

I am waiting for the offer sheet thing to become more commonplace. It should be!

Such PR spin on the McDavid deal. Leak the higher amount intentionally, sign him to ever so slightly less to create a narrative that McDavid sacrificed for the team. Good work, Oilers management. The Donald would be proud.

Sign Eichel to 10 x 8 and be done with it.

I'd be shocked if Eichel signs an extension this Summer.     He has every reason to play out the final year of his ELC considering the injury he suffered last season.     It makes no sense for him to sign now.

I'd be shocked if Eichel signs an extension this Summer.     He has every reason to play out the final year of his ELC considering the injury he suffered last season.     It makes no sense for him to sign now.

Actually he has incentive to structure his deal as lockout proof, i.e. signing bonuses, before the lockout and or injury.  If he is injured next year and a lockout looks probable he won't get that deal.

I'd be shocked if Eichel signs an extension this Summer. He has every reason to play out the final year of his ELC considering the injury he suffered last season. It makes no sense for him to sign now.

I'm sure the Sabres are negotiating based on his ppg and not dumb enough to say gee he didn't break 60 points.

Career minus player, has only played 2 seasons in the league on a 26th place team.     Bad attitude got the previous coach and GM fired.

I'd offer a 4 year bridge deal at $3.50/yr.

Edited by pi2000

Career minus player, has only played 2 seasons in the league on a 26th place team.     Bad attitude got the previous coach and GM fired.

I'd offer a 4 year bridge deal at $3.50/yr.

Thanks. Glad you're not our GM.