Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

Factitious: bogus, fake, false

Facetious: flippant, glib, ironic

Both words are appropriate. 

Eh I really don't care enough to argue about it

Players' contracts should actually be proportional to their +/-. Say the best + player in the league falls in at +40. He should get the $10 mil deal, so 1 plus should be worth about $250,000. 

Therefore Jack actually owes the Sabres $3.25 mil next season. 

I can go with this

4 year bridge at $5.5m per. 

Keeps him motivated.   He's a minus player with injury concerns.   Let him continue to grow, learn the game and piss him off so he jumps ship first chance he gets.  

Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate him.

1 year, $1.5M. You know... a prove-it deal.

Did he, or did the cap just go up to accommodate his contract? 

I'd say yes to a degree, the fact his contract is also his number tells me at very least something was done to help the team going forward. 

Out of his ELC he signed a 5 year 8.7 mil contract.  

Then he signed a 12 year 8.7 mil contract. This one definitely seems that at least to some degree he didn't want to hand cuff his team. 

So everyone is comfortable with the idea that (minus McDavid) Jack is the best player to come along this decade?

And that he will be among the league's five best players over the duration of his contract?

That's what you're paying him as.

$8-$10 million a year over four RFA years?

To gain three UFA years at what may not be a discount if he peaks as a Stamkos level player?

Edited by dudacek

So everyone is comfortable with the idea that (minus McDavid) Jack is the best player to come along this decade?

And that he will be among the league's five best players over the duration of his contract?

To gain three UFA years at what may not be a discount if he peaks as a Stamkos level player?

I'm definitely comfortable with that idea. I'm expecting 80-90 points next season.

10 million? We could almost buy our own ship for that!

@TSNRyanRishaug
My sense is Draisaitl ask on an 8 year deal could push 9m per season. Oilers I'd guess would think 7-8 range based on comps

Fast forward. You're the Oilers. You've got McDavid for $12M/year. Crazy question:

Do you even consider taking the 4 1st rounders if someone makes the full offer for Draisaitl? Or do you just sign him and go the Pittsburgh route and try to fill out the rest of the roster with folks willing to play cheap to play with McDavid and Draisaitl?

Sounds like mcjesus is going to get 8 years 13+ per. I'm now thinking it'll be atleast 9, maybe 10 per for jack. I just hope this is an 8 year deal.

but McDavid just outscored him by a lot, and won the MVP in his first season. Jack is not in that stratusphere as much as we like him.

but McDavid just outscored him by a lot, and won the MVP in his first season. Jack is not in that stratusphere as much as we like him.

He's not McDavid. But if McDavid is $13+ you don't think Jack is worth $9, $9.5?

He's not McDavid. But if McDavid is $13+ you don't think Jack is worth $9, $9.5?

If Kane is worth $10.5 and Crosby is worth $8.7, is Jack worth $9.5?

If Tarasenko is worth $7.5 and Gaudreau $6.75 and Barkov $5.9, is Jack worth $9.5?

I think there is a real willingness to pay him as the player we want him to be, rather than who he is, or what the market rate is.

$9.5 ties him with Malkin for the fifth-highest paid player in the league.

Really, what's he done to deserve that?

No and no. But I also disagree with the gist of your argument. If Jack signs for $9M, even with a relatively flat cap increase of $1M for 2018-19, he'd only be at 11.8% of the cap. One of your favorite comparisons, Tarasenko, was at 10.3% of the cap. So Jack would be more, but not insanely so. Crosby was at 14.5%, Malkin at 14.8%, Ovechkin at 16.8%. How about this one: Phil Kessel at 12.4%.

I'm hoping to get Jack at $8M or so, that would be 10.5% of a $76M cap. Arguably below his current value, to say nothing of future value.

But if they're not comparable, they're not comparable.

I won't be shocked if Eichel's 8-year deal averages in excess of $9M. I am still hoping that it slides in under $9M, though. Maybe that's foolish.

If Tarasenko is worth $7.5 and Gaudreau $6.75 and Barkov $5.9, is Jack worth $9.5?

I think there is a real willingness to pay him as the player we want him to be, rather than who he is, or what the market rate is.

Using raw dollars to judge value is apples to oranges. Percentage of the cap is the only way to go.

$8 million for eight years would make him the highest paid of his peers, by a good margin.

I think that's where he should be.

Using raw dollars to judge value is apples to oranges. Percentage of the cap is the only way to go.

Good argument. Has the cap really gone up that much since the Tarasenko deal?

Seems like it is flattening.

Edited by dudacek

When were these deals signed? I'm not going to figure out what I should pay for a house based on the price of what the neighbour sold for 4 years ago.

No and no. But I also disagree with the gist of your argument. If Jack signs for $9M, even with a relatively flat cap increase of $1M for 2018-19, he'd only be at 11.8% of the cap. One of your favorite comparisons, Tarasenko, was at 10.3% of the cap. So Jack would be more, but not insanely so. Crosby was at 14.5%, Malkin at 14.8%, Ovechkin at 16.8%. How about this one: Phil Kessel at 12.4%.

I'm hoping to get Jack at $8M or so, that would be 10.5% of a $76M cap. Arguably below his current value, to say nothing of future value.

This. Was just about to start digging into percentage of cap hit per deal.

For the record there are few guys on the league I would rather have than jack. Maybe I'm biased but outside of Connor, maybe Austin and sid I'd rather jack.

Edited by Derrico

When were these deals signed? I'm not going to figure out what I should pay for a house based on the price of what the neighbour sold for 4 years ago.

Two years ago for Tarasenko. Last year for the other two.