Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

If we were too get him for under 8 mil average for a long term, I would be ecstatic.

Nope. If he were to sign that low, he'd be sooooo pissed at himself & the Sabres that he would definitely leave at the end of that 11th year.

Give him a fair deal (ideally @ the low end of fair) & then we can/ should be ecstatic.

Yeah, must be national. The hf thread on his contract reads just like ours here, and our media loves him. 

Just move to Buffalo breh

It's already in my "Location"! One day.

Getting married next summer. Maybe I'll bring it up after that. One thing at a time.

Backstrom is a good comparison here. Rarely is he talked about among the League's best. But year after year he's top 5/10 in points. The media and hockey coverage as a whole just gavitates towards certain players and leaves others out.

Toews v Kopitar is another good example.

We got a guy who's always going to be on the underrated side of the ledger. Just the way it is.

I don't buy the team accomplishment argument to rank a player's worth, and never have.

Dan Marino is still a top 10 QB all time.

Good teams and big markets and the players in them are going to get the most attention from the national (in our case Canadian) media. The views of a vast majority of hockey fans are shaped by a combination of their local and national media.

And then there is the highlight package issue: Backstrom's game is subtle and so is his personality, and he plays with a guy who is bigger than life. OV is the guy you see on the highlight packages.

You want to know why Toews gets more attention than Kopitar in your market? look at their home country and what they've done on the international stage.

The Sabres have given the national media very little reason to focus on them. Eichel will change that, but not by missing the first 20 games of the season, then missing the playoffs.

Jack has a big personality and a flashy game. When the numbers match, and the team is relevant, the attention will grow.

Training camp opens up in about 1 month. Does a deal get finalized before camp breaks?

June 28th - News report that preliminary discussion have begun between Jack and Sabres

July 5th - McDavid signs 8 year $100 mil deal

August 2nd - Reported the sides are still negotiating an 8 year deal

I know these things take time. Nobody else is curious what these sticking points may be? It's been a month and a half of negotiations. I really hope this doesn't extend into training camp.

The sticking points are most likely bonuses and structure. Id bet a rough total is agreed to already.

I thought performance bonuses were verbotten under the CBA.  I think the issues is signing bonus versus salary, i.e. ROR.  A  huge signing bonus arrangement makes the deal lockout proof. 

The sticking points are most likely bonuses and structure. Id bet a rough total is agreed to already.

Structure - very likely.

Bonuses - no, that's not how it works. W/ his next contract, it will be a VERY long time before Eichel is eligible for non-leaguewide bonuses.

The sticking points are most likely bonuses ...

Why would that be? Don't we have an owner who'd be more than happy to pay the entire contract upfront, if it were allowed?

@JeremyWGR
Quick note - Forecast calls for an Eichel contract watch this weekend.

I hope that's the case. I can't take the drama anymore...

Curious as to why you think it won't be a weekend

Generally, I would think that since Saturday and Sunday are typically slow news days most news outlets do not have much more than a skeleton crew around.  Even social media and other internet based news agencies tend to be slower than weekdays.