Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

According to this, Eichel is the 9th best player under 25 years old

https://www.fanragsports.com/sabres/top-25-25-no-9-jack-eichel/

Who could even all be ahead? McDavid, Kucherov, Matthews (maybe just for now), Scheifele (for now), Laine (disagree), Draisaitl (disagree)......?? There's still gotta be another 2.

Pastrnak, Murray?

Edited by Thorny

According to this, Eichel is the 9th best player under 25 years old

https://www.fanragsports.com/sabres/top-25-25-no-9-jack-eichel/

Among active players under 25, he's 7th in career points per game, and there are some stud D under 25.

We know that, at absolute worst, we take 2 players under 25 over Jack Eichel here. But it's all based on potential. The NHL and media and fans see COMPLETED 70+ point, 30+ goal, trophy winning seasons, not projected ones. When they make lists like this and put Jack there, it's not a slight. When he does what we know he can, he will move up these lists. And he will. But until then, it's not an unreasonable way for a neutral observer to see things. 

Among active players under 25, he's 7th in career points per game, and there are some stud D under 25.

We know that, at absolute worst, we take 2 players under 25 over Jack Eichel here. But it's all based on potential. The NHL and media and fans see COMPLETED 70+ point, 30+ goal, trophy winning seasons, not projected ones. When they make lists like this and put Jack there, it's not a slight. When he does what we know he can, he will move up these lists. And he will. But until then, it's not an unreasonable way for a neutral observer to see things. 

Yup.  These lists are what have you done lists, not what are you going to be capable of doing lists.

Yup. These lists are what have you done lists, not what are you going to be capable of doing lists.

Ok, using that argument, Eichel has a higher career p/gp than Scheifele. Let's see who finishes higher.

But other than that, you steam a good ham, Flagg. I agree with the jist of what you're saying.

I will say though, that I'll maintain Eichel is objectively too low if guys like Laine and Pastrnak are ranked ahead, and it looks like they will be. Eichel is better than them, right now. It's not just a total points list.

Edited by Thorny

Ok, using that argument, Eichel has a higher career p/gp than Scheifele. Let's see who finishes higher.

But other than that, you steam a good ham, Flagg. I agree with the jist of what you're saying.

But in the vein of a "who do you take now" look, Scheifele's slow development curve doesn't matter as much as his EIGHTY TWO (caps because I had no idea he scored that much, WOW) points last year. 

Seriously, I had no idea. 

I wouldn't trade Eich for Scheif, but Mark might deserve #2 on that list right now. 

But in the vein of a "who do you take now" look, Scheifele's slow development curve doesn't matter as much as his EIGHTY TWO (caps because I had no idea he scored that much, WOW) points last year. 

Seriously, I had no idea. 

I wouldn't trade Eich for Scheif, but Mark might deserve #2 on that list right now.

Ya, I mean, he's impressive. Right now, I can see ranking him ahead. But comparing their seasons at the same age, Eichel is blowing Scheifele's out of the water. No reason to think Eichel won't develop on a similar tragectory. He'll likely pass Scheifele soon.

Again, my qualm isn't the top few guys. It's the Laine's and Pastrnak's of the world.

Ya, I mean, he's impressive. Right now, I can see ranking him ahead. But comparing their seasons at the same age, Eichel is blowing Scheifele's out of the water. No reason to think Eichel won't develop on a similar tragectory. He'll likely pass Scheifele soon.

Again, my qualm isn't the top few guys. It's the Laine's and Pastrnak's of the world.

If Jack can go 82 games with his rate last season, much less improving it, I think we'll be cracking champagne while reading these lists next summer. 

Except we'll have drank it all after the cup win, so maybe not. 

If Jack can go 82 games with his rate last season, much less improving it, I think we'll be cracking champagne while reading these lists next summer.

Except we'll have drank it all after the cup win, so maybe not.

Haha, maybe if Tampa is terrible again for an inexplicable reason, we cruise through an easy Atlantic Playoffs, and upset Washington in a fluke after they finally get by Pittsburgh. And play Edmonton, who lost McDavid to injury the West final ala Roloson.

On a side note, what's considered a full season? 75 games?

Edited by Thorny

Haha, maybe if Tampa is terrible again for an inexplicable reason, we cruise through an easy Atlantic Playoffs, and upset Washington in a fluke after they finally get by Pittsburgh. And play Edmonton, who lost McDavid to injury the West final ala Roloson.

On a side note, what's considered a full season? 75 games?

That seems fair. Can't expect someone to not get nicked up.

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c

“Good on the Oilers for getting this done,” said NHL Insider Darren Dreger of Draisaitl’s extension during a Friday morning discussion on Buffalo’s WGR 550. “Obviously their top priority was Connor McDavid and McDavid hits the grand slam with a mega-deal at eight years and $12.5 million per.

“I think this is an excellent deal for the Edmonton Oilers. To get Leon Draisaitl at under $9 million annual average salary – I think that’s a home run for the Oilers because I’m not one of those pessimists who think that last year could have been a flash in the pan from Draisaitl. He’s the real deal for me.

“I think now when you look at Top 2 centers in the National Hockey League – the title still belongs to the Pittsburgh Penguins until someone takes it away from Crosby and Malkin, but I don’t think that McDavid and Draisaitl are going to be that far behind.”

The focus in Buffalo, as you’d imagine, is on Eichel and potential projections for his extension as he enters the final season of his entry-level deal.

Will Draisaitl’s contract impact the number for Eichel?

“I don’t think it does,” said Dreger. “Look, it’s wishful thinking for Jason Botterill and the Buffalo Sabres to believe that they’re going to get Jack Eichel around $8.5 million. And when I say around, it’s certainly not going to be 8.5 and it won’t be less than 8.5 on an annual average salary.

“I still think that the more reasonable comp, believe it or not, is McDavid. Now, Eichel is not getting 12.5 million. So the gap is somewhere between McDavid and Draisaitl. And that’s a pretty big gap, so it’s likely in that middle. I think that the Sabres would be real lucky to get Jack signed at around 9.5 or a shade under 9.5, but there’s still a lot of heavy negotiating that needs to take place. I’m told that the discussions are ongoing and they’re amicable. There’s no hard feelings here. Both sides can recognize that there’s a level of having to dig in to balance the negotiation.

“But the Sabres recognize that he’s an iconic player. He’s a cornerstone piece for the Buffalo organization, so maybe that number creeps up closer to 10 or just over 10. But I think it’s going to be potentially closer to McDavid than it would be to Leon Draisaitl.”

“The money,” said Dreger bluntly. “The term seems like a slam dunk, doesn’t it? Eight years is what Jack Eichel is going to command, as he should, and deservedly so. I’m sure that those who represent Jack Eichel – Peter Fish – is looking at the upside of the McDavid contract.

“Again, I’m not suggesting that Jack is going to come close to 12.5. But the Sabres are, again, hoping that it’s somewhere in the middle or below the middle in the comp between Draisaitl and McDavid. The saw-off is $10.5 million, isn’t it? That’s the middle point, and I don’t think Buffalo is willing, just yet, to pay 10.5.

“But I’m taking an educated guess here that that’s probably closer to the number that the agent and Jack Eichel are looking at.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/dreger-sabres-eichel-targeting-contract-extension-prior-start-season/

Edited by WildCard

What was Haseks largest contract?

I think he had a 4, or 5, year deal (or maybe it was a series of 1 year deals) that paid him around 8 million per season at the end of the 1990's.

Taro can probably confirm, or deny, my memory on this.

That would be about 25 million per season in today's $.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I think he had a 4, or 5, year deal (or maybe it was a series of 1 year deals) that paid him around 8 million per season at the end of the 1990's.

Taro can probably confirm, or deny, my memory on this.

That would be about 25 million per season in today's $.

$25M for inflation, or cap percentage?