Taylor Fedun Signed to Extension

Brawndo

Folks Fedun was our 8th D last season, Don't you hope for better this season?

We have Risto, McCabe, Baloo, Bogo, Antipin, Gorges, Falk, Guhle under contract, Nelson, Austin and now Fedun.  Don't you hope that Feden is slated for Roch and only called up when all other options are exhausted?  Don't you still hope for a depth FA or two that are legit NHL players and not AAAA players like Fedun and Falk?  

Do really want to head into next season with 4/6 of the same starting D from last season's terrible group with Falk and Fedun being D 7 & 8 again.  Come on we need to expect more then just the same failed re-treads.  

Folks Fedun was our 8th D last season, Don't you hope for better this season?

We have Risto, McCabe, Baloo, Bogo, Antipin, Gorges, Falk, Guhle under contract, Nelson, Austin and now Fedun.  Don't you hope that Feden is slated for Roch and only called up when all other options are exhausted?  Don't you still hope for a depth FA or two that are legit NHL players and not AAAA players like Fedun and Falk?  

Do really want to head into next season with 4/6 of the same starting D from last season's terrible group with Falk and Fedun being D 7 & 8 again.  Come on we need to expect more then just the same failed re-treads.

A lot right with this post in that we haven't improved the defence enough and need to acquire more.

What's wrong with it though is the implication Falk and Fedun were the problem.

Guhle/Falk/Fedun as our 7/8/9 matches up well with the rest of the league.

Our issue was with Bogosian and Kulikov at 2/3 and Franson/Gorges at 5/6.

The latter were incapable of moving higher on the depth chart and the former were disasters in their roles.

I think between Guhle, Antipin and Beaulieu we've probably upgraded the 5/6 positions, but the 3/4 is still a huge issue.

Falk and Fedun weren't the problem, but they aren't the solution either.  My point is our 7/8 guys need to be better the AAAA players.  Fedun played 13 very protected minutes a night in his 27 games last season.  Yes he scored 7 pts and yes he was +3, but even DD realized that he wasn't good enough to take on a bigger role.  

All I'm asking for is something along the following

1 Risto

2 McCabe

3 ?????

4 Baloo

5. Antipin

6. Bogo

7. Gorges (if not sent down or bought out - there is still time Jbot)

8. UFA vet (or two when? we part company with Gorges

9. Guhle - playing top minutes in Roch with spot callups.

10. Falk - 10th on this chart, but should be called up if necessary for longer injury fill in especially early in the season

11. Nelson - could vault up this chart if get D-zone figured out.  Housley might be the best thing to happen to this kid.

12. Austin

13. Fedun

14. Stephens

I'm not unhappy that Fedun is back.  I think he is an above average AHL player and his experience can only help Guhle and Stephens get used to the pro game.  That said I really don't want to see Falk or Fedun unless it is a true emergency situation.  I think Jbot can find better depth for the NHL.  Remember that TM primarily signed Falk and Fedun to be the top pair in Roch and not to be key figures in Buffalo.

Duda, I'm going to assume Jbot won't make a bigger move for a 3/4 until the trade deadline if at all.  I think he probably wants to be patient and see if Housley can't resurrect Bogo and therefore has a 2nd pair of Bogo and Baloo or Antipin depending on how camp goes.  I think he'll want Guhle to start the year in Rochester to learn the pro game, then hopefully be ready in 2018-19 for the NHL.

Edited by GASabresFan

Falk and Fedun weren't the problem, but they aren't the solution either.  My point is our 7/8 guys need to be better the AAAA players.  Fedun played 13 very protected minutes a night in his 27 games last season.  Yes he scored 7 pts and yes he was +3, but even DD realized that he wasn't good enough to take on a bigger role.  

All I'm asking for is something along the following

1 Risto

2 McCabe

3 ?????

4 Baloo

5. Antipin

6. Bogo

7. Gorges (if not sent down or bought out - there is still time Jbot)

8. UFA vet (or two when? we part company with Gorges

9. Guhle - playing top minutes in Roch with spot callups.

10. Falk - 10th on this chart, but should be called up if necessary for longer injury fill in especially early in the season

11. Nelson - could vault up this chart if get D-zone figured out.  Housley might be the best thing to happen to this kid.

12. Austin

13. Fedun

14. Stephens

I'm not unhappy that Fedun is back.  I think he is an above average AHL player and his experience can only help Guhle and Stephens get used to the pro game.  That said I really don't want to see Falk or Fedun unless it is a true emergency situation.  I think Jbot can find better depth for the NHL.

Which NHL teams have better 7/8 guys than Falk/Fedun, and can you show that those guys are better? 

Also that depth chart is whack, because Fedun is very clearly better than Austin, Nelson, Falk, and Gorges.

This is like buying a Natty Daddy and being upset it doesn't taste like a craft beer. It's cheap and gets the job done in a pinch, nothing more to it

I had never heard of Natty Daddy until today. This marks the second time I've heard it today. Weird.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.