Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

The Hockey News' Top 50 Players for this coming season. Hah.

NAME  (SS ranking)

1. Connor McDavid (1)
2. Sidney Crosby (2)
3. Erik Karlsson (4)
4. Patrick Kane (3)
5. Carey Price (25)
6. Sergei Bobrovsky (37)
7. Evgeni Malkin (11)
8. Auston Matthews (10)
9. Victor Hedman (14)
10. Brent Burns (5)
11. Patrice Bergeron (30)
12. Jonathan Toews (60)
13. Braden Holtby (23)
14. Nikita Kucherov (6)
15. Mark Scheifele (18)
16. Nicklas Backstrom (17)
17. John Tavares (12)
18. Vladimir Tarasenko (16)
19. Johnny Gaudreau (42)
20. Tyler Seguin (24)
21. Jamie Benn (13)
22. Ryan Suter (33)
23. Brad Marchand (22)
24. Patrik Laine (15)
25. Jack Eichel (7)
26. Blake Wheeler (52)
27. Ryan Getzlaf (27)
28. Leon Draisaitl (9)
29. P.K. Subban (21)
30. Matt Murray (46)
31. Drew Doughty (19)
32. Duncan Keith (28)
33. Joe Pavelski (36)
34. Kevin Shattenkirk (103)
35. Ryan McDonagh (74)
36. Alexander Ovechkin (8)
37. David Pastrnak (44)
38. Aleksander Barkov (31)
39. Dougie Hamilton (80)
40. Mikael Granlund (49)
41. Max Pacioretty (58)
42. Artemi Panarin (26)
43. Marc-Edouard Vlasic (84)
44. Evgeny Kuznetsov (66)
45. Roman Josi (35)
46. Steven Stamkos (20)
47. Logan Couture (79)
48. Mark Stone (112)
49. Claude Giroux (63)
50. Kris Letang (53)

Edited by Randall Flagg

Kevin Shattenkirk is better than Ovechkin, Barkov, Letang, Stamkos, Josi etc.

Toews (58 pts, 0 playoff wins) better than Getzlaf (73 points, 2 wins from SCFs), 6th best center in NHL

Eichel worse than Laine      

Granlund better than Stamkos

Matthews 4th best center in the world

What a strange universe the list makers live in. 

Also, the first leaf fan reaction in the thread I pulled this from was disgust that Bozak and JVR didn't make it.

Oh, and OEL can't hold the jocks of Dougie Hamilton and Kevin Shattenkirk.

And their qualifications for the list are the same as for our game, so I'm going to redo this but put where they land in our draft next to it.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Sadly it is true

Bryan Murray, the long-time general manager of the Ottawa Senators, has passed away at age 74.

Murray had a 620-465-131-23 record as an NHL head coach, having led the Capitals, Red Wings, Panthers, Ducks, and Senators in a 27-year coaching career.

He announced on Nov. 13, 2014 that he had Stage 4 colon cancer.

“Bryan was one of the greatest men that the game of hockey has ever known and also a great father, mentor and teacher,” said Senators owner Eugene Melnyk in a release. “We extend our sincere condolences to his wife, Geri, daughters, Heide and Brittany and the entire Murray family on their loss.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/former-senators-gm-coach-bryan-murray-dead-74/

It was only a matter of time... unfortunately.  It sucks.... while we hate on each other and kill each other over petty crap we continue to use energy that would be better spent fighting a disease that doesn't care who you are.

It was only a matter of time... unfortunately.  It sucks.... while we hate on each other and kill each other over petty crap we continue to use energy that would be better spent fighting a disease that doesn't care who you are.

Or hate.  It doesn't care who you are just what you look like, pray to or seek comfort with.  

Nasty shyte in Charlottesville today.  Has me bummed.  I Will delete the post if inappropriate

Not necessarily NHL related, but USA Hockey is changing the rules about playing shorthanded for this upcoming season.    The shorthanded team will no longer be allowed to freely ice the puck, it will be called icing and the faceoff will come back into the shorthanded team's zone.     This applies to 14U (Bantam) and younger divisions.

Not necessarily NHL related, but USA Hockey is changing the rules about playing shorthanded for this upcoming season.    The shorthanded team will no longer be allowed to freely ice the puck, it will be called icing and the faceoff will come back into the shorthanded team's zone.     This applies to 14U (Bantam) and younger divisions.

i like the change

I love that they're testing that one out.  If hockey really wants to boost scoring, that would be a huge change.  That paired with the no change after an icing rule would be brutal for the PK.  The big concern though will be if it slows things down too much.  Teams will still ice the puck since it beats the alternative, so that's more stoppages of play.  That or they'll try to put the puck into the benches, which may bring on a safety issue.

I love that they're testing that one out. If hockey really wants to boost scoring, that would be a huge change. That paired with the no change after an icing rule would be brutal for the PK. The big concern though will be if it slows things down too much. Teams will still ice the puck since it beats the alternative, so that's more stoppages of play. That or they'll try to put the puck into the benches, which may bring on a safety issue.

A second consequence I could see is that officials would be even more reluctant to call penalties, especially in an important game.

Boosting scoring through the power play isn't really that fun though, is it? Sure, it's a 4-3 game now, but 4/7 of those goals are just pp goals. I want 5v5 scoring improved.

Game flow > scoring. Not that I'm going to complain about more goals however they may come, but it's definitely a band-aid solution.

I love that they're testing that one out.  If hockey really wants to boost scoring, that would be a huge change.  That paired with the no change after an icing rule would be brutal for the PK.  The big concern though will be if it slows things down too much.  Teams will still ice the puck since it beats the alternative, so that's more stoppages of play.  That or they'll try to put the puck into the benches, which may bring on a safety issue.

For youth hockey you're allowed to make changes after icing, that won't change on the PK.    

Coaches are still going to tell kids to ice the puck, this is going to slow the game down significantly IMO.    I would've rather they did something else, like force the player to serve the entire penalty no matter how many goals are scored.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.