Sabres acquire D Nathan Beaulieu for 3rd

darksabre

I like this trade a lot for several reasons, first, we addressed a need at D and I think Nathan will make an immediate impact. Second, this is a solid add for low $$$. We've been chasing the big names in free agency for years now and it hasn't gotten us much. It's refreshing to see our GM strengthen the roster via trade for a solid value addition and not "a splash." I really believe JBot understands how to build a winner.

Better times are coming our way.

Happy Father's Day to all the father's out there.

It seems that our new defenseman is quite the party boy if you believe the Montreal fan forums and he and his father

(An OHL GM and coach) were charged with assault at a house party.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canadiens-prospect-nathan-beaulieu-father-jacques-plead-guilty-to-assault/article13762066/

The father was fired due to the incident.I hope it was just a youthful 1 time mistake but Montreal fans seem to think Beaulieu problems off the ice carry over onto the ice. If the kid gets his act together and takes his game seriously he could be a great pick up.

Great trade as JBotto's first move...still cannot figure out why Montreal gives us his guy who is young and just scratching the surface of his potential and protects Jordie benn who is older and , well, not all that great to begin with (Mind you I am not complaining and gladly accept Montreal's gift)

Great trade as JBotto's first move...still cannot figure out why Montreal gives us his guy who is young and just scratching the surface of his potential and protects Jordie benn who is older and , well, not all that great to begin with (Mind you I am not complaining and gladly accept Montreal's gift)

Further evidence that the worst GM in the NHL is in Montreal.

What is it going to cost to re-sign Baloo?  Do we give him a 1yr prove your a top 4 guy deal or do we go 3 yr for $6.5?

Edited by GASabresFan

Further evidence that the worst GM in the NHL is in Montreal.

What is it going to cost to re-sign Baloo?  Do we give him a 1yr prove your a top 4 guy deal or do we go 3 yr for $6.5?

Vancouver's GM would give him a run for the money too though...

What is it going to cost to re-sign Baloo? Do we give him a 1yr prove your a top 4 guy deal or do we go 3 yr for $6.5?

Interesting question. Does anyone know when he becomes a UFA? If it's next summer, then I'd think he'll get a 3-year deal.

Is arbitration eligible now. CBA says UFA status at 27 or 7 NHL seasons.  Baloo has played 3 full NHL seasons and parts of 2 others (4 full pro seasons) and turns 27 Dec 2019.  My guess he is a UFA after 2018-19 season, which means either a 1 yr deal this season and then long-term if earned or a 3 or 4 years deal to buy one to two years of UFA time.

Interesting question. Does anyone know when he becomes a UFA? If it's next summer, then I'd think he'll get a 3-year deal.

Isn't an NHL UFA eligibility 27 years old or 7 years in the league??? If so he's got 3 years left. 

Is arbitration eligible now. CBA says UFA status at 27 or 7 NHL seasons.  Baloo has played 3 full NHL seasons and parts of 2 others (4 full pro seasons) and turns 27 Dec 2019.  My guess he is a UFA after 2018-19 season, which means either a 1 yr deal this season and then long-term if earned or a 3 or 4 years deal to buy one to two years of UFA time.

He'll be UFA after the 19/20 season then. That'll be both 7 seasons and 27 years old.

Isn't an NHL UFA eligibility 27 years old or 7 years in the league??? If so he's got 3 years left.

Yup. So let's give him a 2 year deal.

Really nice to see the middle and of the defense shored up. This looks like it bumps a few players down the depth chart which makes us a little stronger in depth and talent. I like it. I really liked how Nashvilles defense sort of pooch punted the puck with the forwards running it down. I hope Housley brings that style of play to Buffalo

He'll be UFA after the 19/20 season then. That'll be both 7 seasons and 27 years old.

Yup. So let's give him a 2 year deal.

Thanks gents.  I agree -- a 2-year "prove it" deal is called for here.

It's pronounced Bool-you, right? That's what I hear the Montreal announcer say, anyway

I read that it was "Bowl-you", with emphasis on 1st syllable.

Thanks gents.  I agree -- a 2-year "prove it" deal is called for here.

I read that it was "Bowl-you", with emphasis on 1st syllable.

I watched a few video clips and I now hear this most of the time, but through some weird verbal hitch a particular announcer has, it sometimes gets a nasally "oo" sound in there, and that's what I was remembering.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.