Sabres acquire D Nathan Beaulieu for 3rd

darksabre

I am a fan of this trade. I remember the talking heads being very nice about him when he was drafted. Mainly because they stopped short talking about Armia so that they could blow Montreal over this pick.

As long as he is better than our worst defenseman, it's a good move

This is absolutely the way to look at it.  It's a good use of a third round pick.  A great use, actually.

Looks like it.  Or trade something to Vegas to protect Bogo.  Because I think Housley can do great things with him.

Let them keep it up...

Totally agree that this is a smart value move.

As for Bogo -- I'm skeptical that they'll give anything to Vegas to protect Bogo.  It occurs to me that they think Vegas will take Bogo -- and that this is why Howie has been talking up Moulson and Ennis -- i.e. because they think they'll be stuck with those 2 (and not Bogo).

Me too. A defensive add was huge for confidence.

Well, our confidence about JBott isn't really important IMHO.  What is important is adding guys like Antipin and the FNG into the mix to give the Sabres more bites at the apple.

Wasn't this guy a 1st round blue chip when drafted?

Yes -- #17 overall in 2011.

He's also 6'2, 205 lbs and it sounds like he's a good skater.

Yep. Here's a scouting report from May 2011: http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next-ones-–-nathan-beaulieu-–-nhl-2011-draft-prospect-profile/

And here's TSN radio segment on trading him or protecting him: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/dumont-potential-return-of-beaulieu-1.777679

17th overall in 2011.  Typically you see players breakout in year 3.  If you look at Baloo's numbers it seems that this past year should be counted as his year 3 and he def up'd his game offensively. 

In an alternate universe, we're trying to figure out why GMTM just traded Justin Bailey and both of his 2nd round picks for Beaulieu, with half the board defending him because ZFG.

giphy.gif

It's a good development piece to give Housley to see what he can do. For now, he'd probably a back end pairing, which is why, he's better then Falk, Gorges, Fedun and allows us to keep Guhle in Rochester for more development.

He's probably the 3rd best defender on the team as of now. 4th if Bogo comes back from the dead. 

Saying it is his 5th season is slight BS but sure we can count 6games and 17games as full seasons, why not?

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-acquire-nathan-beaulieu/c-289970310

As for Bogo -- I'm skeptical that they'll give anything to Vegas to protect Bogo.  It occurs to me that they think Vegas will take Bogo -- and that this is why Howie has been talking up Moulson and Ennis -- i.e. because they think they'll be stuck with those 2 (and not Bogo).

Well, our confidence about JBott isn't really important IMHO.  What is important is adding guys like Antipin and the FNG into the mix to give the Sabres more bites at the apple.

That true, I just meant that it's nice to see.

Very familiar with Beaulieu I watch alot of mtl games. Has a nice upside, could become a 2nd pairing guy on a good team. I see him now as a 3rd pairing guy on a good team though. I could see him getting top 4 mins I'm defense, I'm hoping he's on the 3rd pairing because we picked up another capable guy or 2. IMO has a tendency to make bad plays and sort of snowball effect his play the rest of the game.

That being said, love the trade. Good on JBot. He's got an opportunity here, and a 3rd is a good deal for both teams. RFA too, shows good asset management

I like the pickup and the price, I'll get more excited if he's still here after all the expansion machinations.  I have been duped before. :unsure:

Well, if we traded for him so that Vegas could take him and we could keep Ullmark, that's still a good outcome from where we were yesterday.

In an alternate universe, we're trying to figure out why GMTM just traded Justin Bailey and both of his 2nd round picks for Beaulieu, with half the board defending him because ZFG.

Very nice.

Very familiar with Beaulieu I watch alot of mtl games. Has a nice upside, could become a 2nd pairing guy on a good team. I see him now as a 3rd pairing guy on a good team though. I could see him getting top 4 mins I'm defense, I'm hoping he's on the 3rd pairing because we picked up another capable guy or 2. IMO has a tendency to make bad plays and sort of snowball effect his play the rest of the game.

That being said, love the trade. Good on JBot. He's got an opportunity here, and a 3rd is a good deal for both teams. RFA too, shows good asset management

Good post.  Keep them coming!

Well, if we traded for him so that Vegas could take him and we could keep Ullmark, that's still a good outcome from where we were yesterday.

Good call, but I think I'd still rather expose Bogo than Beaulieu.

Agree.  I'd be impressed by JBOT either way.   

17th overall in 2011.  Typically you see players breakout in year 3.  If you look at Baloo's numbers it seems that this past year should be counted as his year 3 and he def up'd his game offensively.

Thanks.

Yea, seems like he could blossom here.

One more question. Who are we protecting now?

The dman we trade Kane for...

We did not make another trade before 3pm if sources are right. So the defense we have are the ones we can protect. I would assume we protect McCabe, Risto, and Baloo. Vegas probably won't take Bogosian but could. 

We did not make another trade before 3pm if sources are right. So the defense we have are the ones we can protect. I would assume we protect McCabe, Risto, and Baloo. Vegas probably won't take Bogosian but could.

I think if we could somehow convince them to take Bogo that would be huge for us

Also, is it today the lists needed to be submitted??

Edited by LikeEich

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.