Sabres acquire D Nathan Beaulieu for 3rd

darksabre

So a value oriented D depth pickup with some upside for next to nothing. TM see how this works.

This is the type of move I've been begging for for two years.

If only there was an expansion draft leaving teams vulnerable and willing to make less than fair value deals every offseaon

If he was acquired to keep Ullmark, who would you guys rather keep now; Ullmark or Beaulieu? I say Beaulieu. It's harder to get young, promising D than a promising GT.

If a deal was struck with VGK regarding Beaulieu, it would be in bad form for JBOT to reneg now, especially being a new GM. 

If he was acquired to keep Ullmark, who would you guys rather keep now; Ullmark or Beaulieu? I say Beaulieu. It's harder to get young, promising D than a promising GT.

Beaulieu, easily.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we aren't actually getting him.

This is a trade that wouldn't have happened without the expansion draft, though. I think GMTM didn't make a big trade for a D-man last offseason because a)the price was too high for him and b)he knew it would be easier to trade for a D-man this offseason.

Correct, but there's always a chance to buy low on *someone*.  Regier didn't give up a ton to get guys like Briere and Lydman, for example.  GMTM's MO was to give up whatever it took to get players he was in love with.  The result was we finished 5th last in the NHL last season.

I'd prefer to keep Beaulieu of the two, but I'd rather protect them both.  

If a deal were struck for Beaulieu why would Montreal trade him? 

Got a better deal from us (third party) than they could do themselves.  All VGK has to give to us is a promise not to select Ullmark (for example).  If VGK said if to the SABRES, IF you can get Beaulieu from MON, we'll take him and agree not to take Ullmark.

Correct, but there's always a chance to buy low on *someone*. Regier didn't give up a ton to get guys like Briere and Lydman, for example. GMTM's MO was to give up whatever it took to get players he was in love with. The result was we finished 5th last in the NHL last season.

I think GMTM's biggest sins were selection of the coach and too much rope for the coach. GMTM took swings, and wasn't terrified of the risk, like Darcy was.

O'Reilly was a home run.

Lehner has worked out so far and is still young, so he could go either way.

Kulikov was a miss (suffered a freak injury).

Bogo has been really bad but Myers has been injured even more. That's either a slight win for Winnipeg or a wash. I'm sure Ducky could tell us what he thinks.

Kane was a good pickup, and definitely worth the gamble. Kane can be a core player on a contender. I think he's the perfect guy to run a third line. More teams than ever have 3 balanced lines rather than a top 6. Kane is the ideal player to elevate the play of third line centers like Larsson, Coyle, or Anisimov.

I don't think it'll work out that way for us, but we can still get some value out of Kane in a trade.

I don't think any of those roster moves are that bad, even though a few didn't work out. I think it's more fair to criticize GMTM for not building a cohesive team. I'm not sure if I feel that way, but I can't disagree based on the results.

But Murray the Overpayer? I still don't buy into the myth.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I think GMTMs biggest sins were selection of the coach and too much rope for the coach. GMTM took swings, and wasn't terrified of the risk, like Darcy was.

O'Reilly was a home run.

Lehner has worked out so far and is still young, so he could go either way.

Kulikov was a miss (suffered a freak injury).

Bogo has been really bad but Myers has been injured even more. That's either a slight win for Winnipeg or a wash. I'm sure Ducky could tell us what he thinks.

Kane was a good pickup, and definitely worth the gamble. Kane can be a core player on a contender. I think he's the perfect guy to run a third line. More teams than ever have 3 balanced line rather than a top 6. Kane is the ideal player to elevate the play of third line centers like Larsson, Coyle, or Anisimov.

I don't think it'll work out that way for us, but we can still get some value out of Kane in a trade.

I don't think any of those roster moves are that bad even though a few didn't work out. I think it's more fair to criticize GMTM for not building a cohesive team. I'm not sure if I feel that way, but I can't disagree based on the results.

But Murray the Overpayer? I still don't buy into the myth.

It's no myth. He overpaid on Lehner.

I was initially critical of GMJB. I just got this vibe that he didn't understand the value of the entire roster in depth....

But for a first trade this is a damn good deal imo. I'm a fan. 

Many speculate that D-men peak at around 28. There is probably truth to that.

He's only 24. 

Think about it - 0.38 PPG as a D-men last season. Prior season he was .30. .8 PPG difference in a year is a pretty significant jump. 

Who's to say when he "peaks" he cant improve that a little bit more? Know nothing about him. but i think my logic is fairly universal.

For a 3rd round pick? 

I love it

Edited by BuffaloBorn

Theory... Beaulieu is left unprotected and taken by LV in expansion draft. If not, welcome aboard I like it as a nice bottom 4 piece for an improved d

I'm not buying it. The reason Montreal sold him at such a low value was because they didn't want to lose him for nothing.

Love the trade, our D is already looking better. Once these guys get some one v one with Dr. Phil we might just have some exciting hockey for the first time in a decade.

MTL was going to lose him to Vegas for nothing. They'll protect Weber, Petry, and Emelin. and now they can protect 7 forwards

Yes. Good on MTL to get something for him. I don't mind it, but it has to be alarming for MTL fans to lose Subban, a good 19-min RFA, and Sergachev. Unless their pipeline is absolutely stocked with defencemen I don't know about... they have to be working with LV to do a pick and trade? Or getting into an arms race for.... Shattenkirk? Anyway not our problem. Beaulieu should be a capable #5 this season, and hopefully grow into a 2nd-pair guy for the next few seasons. Good trade all around.

i don't know. Just a theory. Maybe LV wanted someone else from Buf and this is a way of protecting that player? Perhaps they wanted two players from Mtl so JB helped them to help himself?

The only thing they could want is one of our goalies, ( can see them go after fleury and grubauer first though).    Players that will be open for them to grab are Moulson, gorges, Bogo , ennis.

Theory... Beaulieu is left unprotected and taken by LV in expansion draft. If not, welcome aboard I like it as a nice bottom 4 piece for an improved d

Why the hell would they leave a young guy like that with speed and skill unprotected but keep Bogosian?

Edited by matter2003

If a deal was struck with VGK regarding Beaulieu, it would be in bad form for JBOT to reneg now, especially being a new GM.

It was also look very bad for JBott if he traded for a promising, young defenseman only to use him as collateral to not have McPhee take our hot trash off our hands. For gosh sakes, our team has been horrible for years. In my eyes, we could leave 75% of our team unprotected and it wouldn't really matter. He should've traded for beaulieu and just let McPhee take whoever he wants. There's too much overvaluing of the players we have.

Was listening to the nhl radio network and they were interviewing a Montreal broadcaster. He says JBot stole Beaulieuand that the kid is about to come into his own and could be a top 4 guy this coming season. Thinks he is a good fit in Buffalo and could come back to haunt the Habs.

Jbot is protecting this kid and exposing Bogo and his contract. Maybe the deal with LV is for Bogo?

I'm not proposing this, but in theory if Jbot like Bogo and doesn't want to risk losing him, he could go 4-4-1 and protect 4 D plus ROR, Okposo, Kane and probably Foligno. This would leave Ennis, Larsson, Big Z and Carrier exposed. JBot might hope that LV grabs one of these 3/4th line forwards instead Ullmark.

Edited by GASabresFan

Was listening to the nhl radio network and they were interviewing a Montreal broadcaster. He says JBot stole Beaulieuand that the kid is about to come into his own and could be a top 4 guy this coming season. Thinks he is a good fit in Buffalo and could come back to haunt the Habs.

Jbot is protecting this kid and exposing Bogo and his contract. Maybe the deal with LV is for Bogo?

I'm not proposing this, but in theory if Jbot like Bogo and doesn't want to risk losing him, he could go 4-4-1 and protect 4 D plus ROR, Okposo, Kane and probably Foligno. This would leave Ennis, Larsson, Big Z and Carrier exposed. JBot might hope that LV grabs one of these 3/4th line forwards instead Ullmark.

This is interesting.  Would the Sabres protect 8 skaters in hopes LV takes someone else instead of Ullmark?  Or would we just do 7-3-1 and trade them another pick if they agree to pick anyone other than Ullmark?  (This is partially me valuing Ullmark and partially because I don't like imagining the Sabres with zero goaltending depth.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.