Sabres acquire D Nathan Beaulieu for 3rd

darksabre

Just cannot figure out Montreal...now a very good young d-man they drafted high and was almost a sure top 2 and now  a good solid d-man that they also drafted in the first round? this from a team that needs defense? strange...

What's to figure? Everybody knows they hate French Canadians in Moe-ray-all. They ran that Roy kid out of town too.

:p

Forgot that. Vegas has to take three goaltenders. Assuming Fluery is one then the question is would Ullmark be more attractive than all the rest of exposed goaltenders? There's a lot there to choose from. The problem is he will be maybe the most attractive of our teams exposed players and they have to take someone from each team.

There's nothI got that requires them to take three. There will be free agent options as well where they can fill up their ranks in the net.

Listening to Habs beat writer earlier this week he stated Beaulieu was worth at least a 2nd.

Yet he also stated Beaulieu is at his lowest value being 24 years old & came close to 30 points and is a few years away from hitting his prime. Reiterated that Beaulieu's value is only going to go up from her on. 

Said it was a "no brainer" to protect Beaulieu over Jordie Benn who finished 4/14 and -4 who is on the verge of 30.

Hence why Habs fans are pissed.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/dumont-potential-return-of-beaulieu-1.777679

Edited by dejeanerret

Sometimes GM's are just stupid. That is why you get a smart one so you can exploit the idiots.

MTL was going to lose him to Vegas for nothing. They'll protect Weber, Petry, and Emelin. and now they can protect 7 forwards

Edited by pi2000

Nice move ditto, from seeing him

play the guy can skate, Housley kinda guy... will be interesting to see D next year. So do Sabres go O or D with 8th pick, certainly opens up option especially with so many D options in second round. Now you can say go BPA and not sweat.

Josh Gorges for a 2nd. Still wasn't a bad trade. The #45 pick in the 2016 draft which turned into Chad Krys 

Definitely not a bad trade.  Frankly, I think that any non-first-round pick for a current player who definitely will be in the lineup is usually a good trade.

There's nothI got that requires them to take three. There will be free agent options as well where they can fill up their ranks in the net.

Okay, I was under the impression Vegas had to select three goaltenders.

Theory... Beaulieu is left unprotected and taken by LV in expansion draft. If not, welcome aboard I like it as a nice bottom 4 piece for an improved d

giphy.gif
i don't know. Just a theory. Maybe LV wanted someone else from Buf and this is a way of protecting that player? Perhaps they wanted two players from Mtl so JB helped them to help himself?

I think that would be a pretty terrible outcome.

If we traded a 3rd round pick to make sure we still have Ullmark after the expansion draft, I'd be OK with that.  I'd prefer that we traded the 3rd just to acquire NB and that he's protected along with 55 and 29 though.

Nice move ditto, from seeing him

play the guy can skate, Housley kinda guy... will be interesting to see D next year. So do Sabres go O or D with 8th pick, certainly opens up option especially with so many D options in second round. Now you can say go BPA and not sweat.

I really like Owen Tippett.

Fills a need at RW with an already NHL-caliber shot.

Pure goal scorer that has dominated at every level he has played.

We have Guhle, Nelson, Stephens, and Martin waiting in the wings  at D.

Edited by dejeanerret

Sure he did.  With the same team.  Also a pick for a defenseman deal.

We're celebrating the Gorges trade now?  His best season for us was the year we were *trying to lose* and he's sucked ever since.

GMTM's best trade by far was for ROR.  Most of the rest didn't amount to almost anything and he didn't do anything as opportunistic as this one.

I really like Owen Tippett.

Fills a need at RW with an already NHL-caliber shot.

Pure goal scorer that has dominated at every level he has played.

We have Guhle, Nelson, Stephens, and Fitzgerald waiting in the wings  at D.

What need at RW? 

Okposo, Reinhart, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, technically Nylander can RW. I just listed 6 players who have shots at top 3 rw spots with 2 of them currently entrenched on lines 1 and 2. RW might be the least needed position on the Sabres roster outside of top 6 center. 

Do the bold we have Guhle and maybe Nelson. The other two are long shots to make the NHL. All the RW I just listed have a good shot of being NHL players. 

Edited by LGR4GM

What need at RW? 

Okposo, Reinhart, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, technically Nylander can RW. I just listed 6 players who have shots at top 3 rw spots with 2 of them currently entrenched on lines 1 and 2. RW might be the least needed position on the Sabres roster outside of top 6 center. 

Do the bold we have Guhle and maybe Nelson. The other two are long shots to make the NHL. All the RW I just listed have a good shot of being NHL players.

. Sabres still need a bonafide scorer, LW wing Rt wing, center whatever.... not sure no 8 gets you there, but hey there is a need... trade one of those RWs for additional or moving up ability... just saying.

We're celebrating the Gorges trade now? His best season for us was the year we were *trying to lose* and he's sucked ever since.

GMTM's best trade by far was for ROR. Most of the rest didn't amount to almost anything and he didn't do anything as opportunistic as this one.

This is a trade that wouldn't have happened without the expansion draft, though. I think GMTM didn't make a big trade for a D-man last offseason because a)the price was too high for him and b)he knew it would be easier to trade for a D-man this offseason.

I am unsure what you mean by bonafide scorer.

Should have said another one, should have said elite and not confident Nylander pans out. Maybe PU does. But need to keep Molson buried below the Mason Dixon line. Someone with Moulson's former nose for the net, younger and if possible more skill. A Forsberg type though doubt one in this draft past Herschier (sp?) Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.