The Band Crap Thread

LGR4GM

My guilty pleasure is singer song writers like Eric Bogle and Christy Moore as well as John Prine and Lyle Lovett .  I like lyrical creativity and melody as much as pure musicianship.

uuummmm....dislike Matchbox 20. Could never get into them.

Don't hate em. Really enjoyed Push when it came out and still crank it when I hear it now.

Oh and Fuel and Dishwalla are playing near me next month. I think I'm going.

Counterpoint, today's music is fantastic. There is more quantity and quality in every genre than ever before. We just need to dig for it. The music on the radio is pretty rough, I'll give you that!

You have to be willing to 1. Try something new and 2. Actively look for it.

I think most folks from every age group lament the loss of what they listened to growing up and never look beyond top 40 for whats out there that's new.

Can't believe no ones mentioned Dan Auerbach of the Black keys. That man can straight up play guitar. I appreciate Jack white but Dan kills it. Have a listen to weight of love or little black submarine live on youtube and it'll blow yer mind. Mans a modern guitar hero. Saw them live on the turn blue tour and he was a force.

You have to be willing to 1. Try something new and 2. Actively look for it.

I think most folks from every age group lament the loss of what they listened to growing up and never look beyond top 40 for whats out there that's new.

Yup, that's sounds right. Music is also a time machine, so hearing whatever is from say your mid-teens to mid-twenties usually brings back fond memories. For me, nothing beats hearing something completely different for the first time. I also love the hunt for new music, so maybe I'm an outlier.

Can't believe no ones mentioned Dan Auerbach of the Black keys. That man can straight up play guitar. I appreciate Jack white but Dan kills it. Have a listen to weight of love or little black submarine live on youtube and it'll blow yer mind. Mans a modern guitar hero. Saw them live on the turn blue tour and he was a force.

So much love for Auerbach and the Black Keys. 

Couple of my college friends knew them from Akron. Carney's the most sardonic dude. I love the Black Keys. I know a lot of their work is covers, but Rubber Factory was one of the first albums i was able to blast in my car, and will always be my favorite. Saw them live in Toronto- damn good stuff. 

Speaking of locals from my home area, The White Stripes were a good time. I'll always sing Hotel Yorba if I'm flying into/driving through Detroit. All they got inside is vacancyyy.... 

Speaking of time machines, I was thinking about the following earlier: Though I personally don't like Nirvana, Nevermind was a big deal for a number of reasons. Released in 1992. Twenty-five years ago. Also, twenty-five years after 1967, which saw, among others I can't get to: Sgt. Pepper, The Velvet Underground and Nico, Are You Experienced?, I could go on.

I'm very much a child of the 80's, so I'm perhaps biased, but looking back it seems to me like the first part of that half-century moved a good deal faster in terms of experimentation, new styles, and new ideas than the latter half. Not that there's no good new stuff now, but the changes made to the record industry and the way we consume music along with the consequences those changes have had on the way artists do business, means that everything you're likely to hear is all a bit samey. You're on your own to find the rest. Fortunately we have the tools to do the digging, but I miss the days of 120 Minutes and CMJ.

So much love for Auerbach and the Black Keys. 

Couple of my college friends knew them from Akron. Carney's the most sardonic dude. I love the Black Keys. I know a lot of their work is covers, but Rubber Factory was one of the first albums i was able to blast in my car, and will always be my favorite. Saw them live in Toronto- damn good stuff. 

Speaking of locals from my home area, The White Stripes were a good time. I'll always sing Hotel Yorba if I'm flying into/driving through Detroit. All they got inside is vacancyyy.... 

Rubber Factory, Thickfreakness. I miss their old Heavy blues based stuff. 

And for N.S. my desert island castaway album is Everyone knows this is nowhere by Neil Young. Cowgirls in the sand and down by the river would sustain me. But your list would do also.

Black Keys are fantastic.  Jack White and Dan Auerbach keep my faith alive that true guitar genius' aren't going to go the way of the dodo bird.  Even metal doesn't bring the guitar savants anymore.  But those two guys keep the guitar alive.

No desert island list of mine is complete without Appetite for Destruction.  Even in isolation you just have to revel in self destruction once in awhile.

Black Keys are fantastic. Jack White and Dan Auerbach keep my faith alive that true guitar genius' aren't going to go the way of the dodo bird. Even metal doesn't bring the guitar savants anymore. But those two guys keep the guitar alive.

No desert island list of mine is complete without Appetite for Destruction. Even in isolation you just have to revel in self destruction once in awhile.

JB Brubaker from August Burns Red disagrees. There are some insaine guitarists in metal right now, partucularly mathcore.

Rubber Factory, Thickfreakness. I miss their old Heavy blues based stuff. 

And for N.S. my desert island castaway album is Everyone knows this is nowhere by Neil Young. Cowgirls in the sand and down by the river would sustain me. But your list would do also.

In the mood, love me some Neil Young... the acoustic or MTV unplugged version of Like A Hurrican with the pump organ is awesome.

My Grandpa loved Glenn Miller.  He listened to Miller's music quite a bit.  I actually like a few songs.  

Nothing wrong with Glenn Miller.  He was pretty rad for his day.

In the mood, love me some Neil Young... the acoustic or MTV unplugged version of Like A Hurrican with the pump organ is awesome.

Neil Young is one of the few artists my wife and I can agree on.  I prefer rock, she likes pop and country.  His lyrics and vocals on CSNY's song Helpless are sublime.

Nothing wrong with Glenn Miller.  He was pretty rad for his day.

Neil Young is one of the few artists my wife and I can agree on.  I prefer rock, she likes pop and country.  His lyrics and vocals on CSNY's song Helpless are sublime.

I spent my summers up in North Ontario on the Rivers and Lakes and "Big Bird across the sky..." gotta be a Blue Heron, and "all of my changes were there" always set me at ease.  Sigh...  Yup.. Helpless....

Edited by North Buffalo

So here is a question. Of one needs to dig to find new good music. Where do you all go to find it? Any playlists or stations from online sites/apps? I get new music slowly from radio stations like alt buffalo. They seem to go beyond top 40 and play less known songs and of course have some Sunday evening programming targeting new and or local

So here is a question. Of one needs to dig to find new good music. Where do you all go to find it? Any playlists or stations from online sites/apps? I get new music slowly from radio stations like alt buffalo. They seem to go beyond top 40 and play less known songs and of course have some Sunday evening programming targeting new and or local

For me its word of my mouth from some of the young kids at work... Found Kaleo that way and Anderson East...  Also Pandora and ITunes radio suggestions.  Getting to concerts early to hear the warm up bands helps too.  I too am open to suggestions.

I've got Spotify and I love it! There are thousands of personal playlists, then there are Spotify playlists. Spotify playlists will give you a selection of whatever you're looking for based on genre, decades, moods, etc. Then once you build your own playlist, you can click on Playlist Radio and Spotify will play other songs based on what you have in your playlist. 

If you search for a specific artist, it will also show you a list of similar artists. The possibilities are endless. I've got a pretty cool jazz playlists I created. If I want to hear some songs I don't have on my playlist, I just click on playlist radio to hear songs similar to what I've saved. 

Not to mention synester gates from a7x, one of the best guitarists alive right now.

Not a big fan of the guitar work from Avenged Sevenfold.  Their guitar work reminds me of how Zach Wylde plays.  Hard to find the words to describe what I dislike.  For lack of better descriptions... it lacks subtlety and artistry.  Everything is over the top.  I've described it in the past as guitar ######. 

Edit- Welp, I wondered if that would get past the filters.  Think choking your chicken.

Having kids helps.

If there is something you like that is on the radio, plug it in to Pandora, or Spotifiy, and the app will find similar music.  College radio stations are another place to find new music.  The DJ's rotate through and any time of day the genre and playlist can change.  Heck, even youtube is a source.  Watch videos you like and the suggested videos on the right side will adapt as you select other videos.  Next thing you know, you've spent a couple hours down in the rabbit hole. 

And for those within listening distance, the radio stations out of Fort Erie and Niagara Falls, Ont provide alternatives with different playlists than the stations out of Buffalo.

Edited by We've

I use Spotify, Amazon Music and Pandora. Spotify is great because of their various new music playlists. On Amazon I'll go through the New Releases and check out anything that looks interesting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.