The Band Crap Thread

LGR4GM

But is he on Prince's level as a musician?

I don't know much about Prince. I've never heard anything like the scales Hendrix used in certain situations, the rules he broke and when he broke them, and the effect on the music he knew doing that was going to have. I've never heard another human being capable of doing that on six strings. 

Prince's vocal range, and musicianship are pretty damn incredible. And the fact that he plays every damn instrument on the stage is awesome to me. They are both musical gods.

Dont forget the pancakes 

Hendrix beats any guitarist in any sort of stand-off. End of story.

I have always hated art as competition. Even if I liked someone more than Jimi (which I do), I would never say they "beat" him. I just happen to like him more.

I have always hated art as competition. Even if I liked someone more than Jimi (which I do), I would never say they "beat" him. I just happen to like him more.

This makes a lot of sense - Hendrix is the only guy that I like to call objectively better at what he does than everyone else. And it may be foolish to do, but that's how I feel.

And I also prefer other guitarists to him, I just don't think they're as talented/gifted. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

You're a concept album guy, aren't you?

The Who quadrophennia

This makes a lot of sense - Hendrix is the only guy that I like to call objectively better at what he does than everyone else. And it may be foolish to do, but that's how I feel.

And I also prefer other guitarists to him, I just don't think they're as talented/gifted.

True... Jim Morrison and Roger Waters were great poets. Paul Simon a great diddy writer... Edited by North Buffalo

The Who quadrophennia

True... Jim Morrison and Roger Waters were great poets. Paul Simon a great diddy writer...

Who's Next!

"Jim Morrison, the guys a drunken buffoon masquerading as a poet! Give me The Guess Who. They have the courage to be drunken buffoons! And that makes them poetic!"

There were alot of guitarists who could do what Jimmy did.  What Jimmy had was what Swamp alluded to, he had the artistic style that set him apart.  He wasn't better.  He had a mesmerizing style.  If Jeff Beck had any charisma to him they'd call him a god too.

There were alot of guitarists who could do what Jimmy did.  What Jimmy had was what Swamp alluded to, he had the artistic style that set him apart.  He wasn't better.  He had a mesmerizing style.  If Jeff Beck had any charisma to him they'd call him a god too.

I'm pretty sure Jimi made up his own arpeggios mid-jam that nobody has used since. I don't hear other guitarists do stuff like that, ya know? And his base level skills at doing everything from leading to rhythm, with the creativity he employed, was jaw-dropping. Especially when he used his thumb on E and thus was able to do both at the same time. I think there were guitarists who could pick one aspect of guitar playing and do it better than Jimi could but they fell woefully short of him in the other areas. Page and Clapton could rival his licks, EVH could shred harder, but they couldn't touch Jimi in all of the other areas, nor could they pull it all together like he did.

Combining his flair, sound, those Marshalls, the stage presence, and everything else, truly mind-blowing.

I'm pretty sure Jimi made up his own arpeggios mid-jam that nobody has used since. I don't hear other guitarists do stuff like that, ya know? And his base level skills at doing everything from leading to rhythm, with the creativity he employed, was jaw-dropping. Especially when he used his thumb on E and thus was able to do both at the same time. I think there were guitarists who could pick one aspect of guitar playing and do it better than Jimi could but they fell woefully short of him in the other areas. Page and Clapton could rival his licks, EVH could shred harder, but they couldn't touch Jimi in all of the other areas, nor could they pull it all together like he did.

Combining his flair, sound, those Marshalls, the stage presence, and everything else, truly mind-blowing.

I'm thinking maybe you are limiting yourself to the more mainstream rock guitarists?  Jimi managed to take a very free form, almost jazzy style and apply it to blues-rock.  And got noticed.  Guys like Jeff beck are still doing that today, but don't get much coverage, and no air play, so noone knows that they are capable of all that too.  But they don't have Jimi's charisma or presence.  And that is how he tied it all together.

I'm thinking maybe you are limiting yourself to the more mainstream rock guitarists?  Jimi managed to take a very free form, almost jazzy style and apply it to blues-rock.  And got noticed.  Guys like Jeff beck are still doing that today, but don't get much coverage, and no air play, so noone knows that they are capable of all that too.  But they don't have Jimi's charisma or presence.  And that is how he tied it all together.

I know Beck, I don't think he's as skilled. But in general my experience is indeed limited to blues-based guitarists. And metal ones, though those are all blues-based if you go far back enough :P 

I know Beck, I don't think he's as skilled. But in general my experience is indeed limited to blues-based guitarists. And metal ones, though those are all blues-based if you go far back enough :P

Not Loser Beck, you ninny.  JEFF Beck.  :D

Not Loser Beck, you ninny.  JEFF Beck.  :D

:lol:

I think Boston's self titled album is the first album I ever heard from my dad's record player, but I think the Yardbirds were the first one I picked out and put on myself, just to hear what they were like. Heavy nostalgia. I also wrote a research paper on Clapton and Beck in 10th grade

Just rambling about Hendrix some more, but the tone he got from a strat, a Marshall stack, and a wah pedal (and maybe 1 or 2 others) is not of this world. And I think he is the best ever at phrasing, yeah, even better than Gilmour.  That might be a bad opinion but I stand by it :P 

And actually d4rk, my roommate at school hates Hendrix, but he also thinks that "Through the Fire and Flames" by Dragonforce is the best guitar work he's ever heard. And yeah, he only knows it from Guitar Hero III.

Edited by Randall Flagg

:lol:

I think Boston's self titled album is the first album I ever heard from my dad's record player, but I think the Yardbirds were the first one I picked out and put on myself, just to hear what they were like. Heavy nostalgia. I also wrote a research paper on Clapton and Beck in 10th grade

My son did a paper in grade school on Stevie Ray Vaughn.  He was scolded by the teacher for choosing a person with such a drugged up past.

Damned devil music!

My son did a paper in grade school on Stevie Ray Vaughn. He was scolded by the teacher for choosing a person with such a drugged up past.

Damned devil music!

That teacher sure sounds like a tw@t.

Just let the needle drop on Texas flood and tell the teacher to #edited for decency #

Edited by ubkev

I am not going to argue for or against. I think when musicians get to a certain level their choice of style ordains their art. I like Garcia, Page Dave Davies and Knopfler as much for their style as their pure skill. I also think Noel Gallagher and Jack White keep a lot of the spirit of those guys alive. Am cranking the Winwood Clapton Madison Square Garden cd as we speak. What a show.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.