2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs : Conference Finals

WildCard

facebook_1495550253716.jpg

From my semi-drunk vantage point at the three Preds home games (blue line, front row, club level), Fowler was the Ducks' best defenseman this series. Really good passer.

That was an insanely fun game to attend. Downtown Nashville was a giant party last night!

Fowler has been their best player all season. There won't be any trade available for him thus off-season.

I saw a chart from either game 4 or game 5 in the Nashville/Anaheim series - Cam Fowler had 14 zone exit attempts and 13 of them were completed with successful possession. I don't think any other Ducks defender was above 50%. 

I'm still surprised at how much of the board was against trading for him last year. 

Perhaps I'm misremembering, but hasn't he been considerably better this season than he was last season?

He has.

I also think Fowler was a victim of the weird labelling that goes on in hockey fandom, where "top four defenceman" means you are a contender for the top 50 defencemen in the world, and if you are not Keith- or Doughty-level, you are a "three at best"

Perhaps I'm misremembering, but hasn't he been considerably better this season than he was last season?

His possession metrics got better relative to his team, and his scoring jumped, but not to a level he's never hit before. I think goals scored is the only big number of his that was a career high, by one, including his possession stats. Plus, it's not unrealistic to expect more improvement from a 24 year old defenseman. I think the emerging young talent helped take a bit of the load off. There's also this - this season, he played over 50% of his 5v5 minutes with Kevin Bieksa in 13 games out of 80, compared to 40 of his 69 games last year. Which ties into the emerging young talent. 

He has.

I also think Fowler was a victim of the weird labelling that goes on in hockey fandom, where "top four defenceman" means you are a contender for the top 50 defencemen in the world, and if you are not Keith- or Doughty-level, you are a "three at best"

Like how number one centreman means top 10 centreman in the world

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.