What can be a realistic hope for next season?

Sabre fan

This is a tough one. I'm inclined to agree with NS' one-step back theory. The roster deficiencies are well known. A lot of the new core is still very young. New coach, new system. And just how bad are things in the lockerroom? Botterill might have to practice some addition by subtraction. Rather than putting Band-Aids on the problems and trying to make the playoffs, I'd be more in favor of letting Botterill have a rebuilding season to put his stamp on things.

That's the cold-eyed view I have in May. Talk to me in December when we're virtually out of the playoffs. Going into last season, I wasn't sold on the Sabres being a playoff team because of their youth, but I was still royally pissed at the results.

Call me Mr. UNicorns and Jujubes, but I just can't see Reinhart and Eichel - who clearly chafed under the previous coach - taking a step back in their third seasons. Jack in particular is too damn talented. He will be a top-ten scorer next year.

The rest of the above, however, is a wise perspective.

Edited by dudacek

Missing the playoffs again would be a catastrophic failure.

When you figure that half the teams in the NHL make it to the playoffs, I guess it could be considered a huge failure.

Honestly, I think we'll be doing good to get to .500 -  it's been, what, 6 years since we were even there?  .500 might be enough to squeak into a playoff berth too, so killing two birds with one stone, perhaps?  

I must add to my post here that I do not envy new GMJB (assuming it's Botterill) or whoever because obviously there will be tons of pressure to fix everything overnight and make the team a playoff bound outfit this coming season. As has been said, anything less will be deemed a complete disaster so where does that leave new GMJB and the team next summer if things don;t pan out right away, and Botterill finds it not as easy as we assume to add help on the defence and turn this ship around.

hell, what happens to the new coach when things don;t improve 100% overnight and they remain, heaven help us, the same as last year's team??

Missing the playoffs again would be a catastrophic failure.

I honestly think this team has zero chance to make the playoffs next year. I don't see one indication to make me believe that what I saw this year could take such a gigantic leap next year.

Edited by CallawaySabres

I honestly think this team has zero chance to make the playoffs next year. I don't see one indication to make me believe that what I saw this year could take such a gigantic leap next year.

Pretty much where I'm at. But hey, it's the offseason I can be quasi optimistic.

If our goaltending stays at same level, we keep away from long term injuries to core players and upgrade our defense then all these combined would, I believe give us a shot for the playoffs. Also coaching must be better. All this is possible but one might argue improbable.

Addition of Guhle and Antipin will improve the blue line.  A trade to bring in a top 4 experienced defenseman turns the Sabres into an instant playoff team.   

A shot at the playoffs may be realistic and we could be in that hunt.

That said, another likely possibility is a step back considering we will have a new GM and coach.

Having a coach that isn't a Goober will net a few extra points alone. Probably 5-10. Eichel, Reinhart, & McCabe will all be in their 3rd seasons, which is when talented kids usually blossom. Again, that will net extra points, probably 6-10. Get any improvement on D besides McCabe's growth & playoffs, barring serious injuries, should be a lock.

Don't see a reason for Botteril (or whomever) to tear it down, so he shouldn't set them back this year. (Jury's out on long term whether the hire works or not.)

Expect playoffs, hope for 2nd/3rd round.

Without Bylsma this team takes a step back as they learn a new system.   

I expect them to struggle the first half of the season, turning it around down the stretch as they get comfortable with their roles in the new system, but finishing just outside of the playoffs.  

I also expect scoring from guys like Ristolainen, Eichel, Reinhart to drop off because Bylsma's system was suited to them and predicated on them having success.   I expect an uptick in RORs production and Okposo's because as veterans, they'll quickly adapt to the new system.   And (hopefully) with some defensive help on the 3rd and 4th lines, ROR won't need to be on the ice as much.

The PP also takes a step back, but I expect the PK to improve.  

Lehner's sv% comes back down to average as some new 3rd/4th line role players play better defensively, suppressing shots against, but they'll still give up some scoring chances unless they completely overhaul the blueline (guys like Bogo, Gorges replaced). 

Complete opposite on the new coach for me.

Playoffs or bust.

PP may come down slightly mostly because *puck luck*, but we have skill to put out there and I don't see that dropping much. Might even be improved if Ennis continues to recover and get his speed/skill back into shape.

It largely depends on who GMTBD brings in as head coach, assistant, and head massage therapist. I'm (perhaps naively) betting on "breath of fresh air" like when the coach is fired mid-season and the team goes on a run. Pitts went from 4th in the Metrosexual division to 2nd the season after they fired HHDCRGDDB. Anyone know how that data extrapolates out? The Sabres could jump from 8th in the Atlantic or 6th (two spots) or from 8th to 4th (halfway to 1st).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.