Draft Lottery 4-29-17 NBC 7:30 pm

spndnchz

If you are going to trade Kane, trade him for a promising young D man (+ pick) with a year or two of experience but go after Alzner as hard as you can. His salary would be somewhere around what Kane's is. Alzner immediately gives you a quality shutdown D man that solidifies your left side. He is someone I hope the Jets go after this summer because we need help on the left side.

Kane should get you someone like Manson and a 2nd round pick from the Ducks. Having Manson also fills a hole on the right side if Bogo or another RHD was to be moved and he only makes 850k.

Edited by Ducky

I went online to check the news about the Sabres. :(

I wouldn't blame Jack Eichel if he decided to sign with another organization.

Maybe the Sabres could get a high school coach interested in making a fool out of himself next season, Lee Lacocca to manage and Al Gore to clean up the toxic waste that has piled up around the Sabres organization.

I don't care how much money you can throw around in an effort to land organizational talent....

Tough to get aboard a sinking ship and a perennial loser.

Let's Go Sabres!

Draft lottery is completely stupid concept. Worst team gets first pick end of story. I get the whole idea behind it but not many teams willing to sell off every good player do rebuild. I know Buffalo did but we can all admit it hasn't worked out that well for us.

This system sucks, but this is what you get when teams set up their rosters to lose on purpose.  Tanking is bad for the league.  The league had to do something to discourage it.  Because teams have decided that they they will sometimes lose on purpose we get this abomination.  Yay, tanking.

I went online to check the news about the Sabres. :(

I wouldn't blame Jack Eichel if he decided to sign with another organization.

Maybe the Sabres could get a high school coach interested in making a fool out of himself next season, Lee Lacocca to manage and Al Gore to clean up the toxic waste that has piled up around the Sabres organization.

I don't care how much money you can throw around in an effort to land organizational talent....

Tough to get aboard a sinking ship and a perennial loser.

Let's Go Sabres!

We're not perennial losers; 45 seasons with a 64 percent playoff appearance percentage. Just need that cup.

hehe yeah, We needed and luck and we didn't get it, blaming bettman is weird :P

There doesn't have to be a good reason to blame Bettman.

You keep telling yourself that.  We all need a binky once in a while.

The thing is, if you truly believe the league is rigged for or against teams, then continuing to follow an unfavored team is like rooting for a pro wrestler who always loses.

Leave it to the NHL to come up with such a ridiculous system. How can they not give the first pick to an expansion team? 

What the hell is wrong with the worst team getting the top pick?

BTW, Buffalo is a jinxed city apparently. WTF!!!

No Sabres fan should ever ask that question.

Will there ever be good sports news in this city again?

Listen, pal, Terry bought the Bills and Sabres, preventing BOTH teams from leaving, and he put over 10 billion dollars in Canalside, saving the city itself, and he just bought Uber and brought them to Buffalo. What more do you want? Ungrateful much?

Would've been nice if the Sabres won a top 3 draft pick, but the odds were slim.  Not going to get ticked off Philly took it w/ a beyond low percentile of landing it.  Buffalo still has an opportunity to draft a decent player.  Lets look forward to the draft and possible trades that may go down.  Actually, lets try to be excited about the next GM.  Starting to seem as if the person Pegula wants is currently working for a team still in the playoffs.  Have my fingers crossed it's Paul Fenton.  

This system sucks, but this is what you get when teams set up their rosters to lose on purpose. Tanking is bad for the league. The league had to do something to discourage it. Because teams have decided that they they will sometimes lose on purpose we get this abomination. Yay, tanking.

Was real tanking a real problem? Pens, Devils for Lemieux, Sabres for McEichel, what other teams tanked like that? Is it any better for the league that their tanking rules didn't stop an incompetent organization this season from putting up a worse record than tanking Sabres?

Was real tanking a real problem? Pens, Devils for Lemieux, Sabres for McEichel, what other teams tanked like that? Is it any better for the league that their tanking rules didn't stop an incompetent organization this season from putting up a worse record than tanking Sabres?

Absolutely it was / is.

Listen to We've he knows what he is talking about.

Would've been nice if the Sabres won a top 3 draft pick, but the odds were slim.  Not going to get ticked off Philly took it w/ a beyond low percentile of landing it.  Buffalo still has an opportunity to draft a decent player.  Lets look forward to the draft and possible trades that may go down.  Actually, lets try to be excited about the next GM.  Starting to seem as if the person Pegula wants is currently working for a team still in the playoffs.  Have my fingers crossed it's Paul Fenton.

I hope you're right on Fenton.

I'm neither happy nor sad about the 8th pick. We picked up Risto and Nylander at 8. I think we'll get a quality player but they may not be an immediate impact. Nothing wrong with that. Part of building a perennial contender is strengthening the farm system.

they gave us a 17% chance of winning the lottery but I knew we had a 100% chance of dropping down to as low as we could go (#8)...anyways, it really does not change what must be our new GM's first and most important mandate...adding one or two defencemen (Antipin will help)...draft is for the future and we need help now...

The Yotes made a valiant attempt in the Eich year.

It happens most every year, but not as blatantly.

Sorta. They certainly started to tank when their season went south, but they didn't enter the year with that as the plan.

Anyway, I'm still of the opinion that a lottery doesn't change the tanking incentives much. As long as the talent distribution of the NHL draft is so strongly skewed towards the top, teams will have am incentive to go after it when rebuilding.

they gave us a 17% chance of winning the lottery but I knew we had a 100% chance of dropping down to as low as we could go (#8)...anyways, it really does not change what must be our new GM's first and most important mandate...adding one or two defencemen (Antipin will help)...draft is for the future and we need help now...

We actually could have dropped 3 spots last night...  :ph34r:

Dropping 2 spots sucks but I still like that they've removed an incentive to tank a season.  The NHL actually got one right.

McDavid/Eichel, Mathews, Lindros, Crosby, Lemiuex, Daigle.  Ron Wilson admitted in an interview that he was ordered to tank his team.  That is off the top of my head.  The league got tired enough of it that they changed the rules after Ottawa blatantly tanked to draft Daigle, and updated the process twice since (notably after Regier's public pronouncement of suffering) so I would say that yes, the league sees tanking as a real problem.

The league's teams have a natural ebb and flow.  That can't be stopped.  But adding one or more team to those on the natural ebb that are actually trying to lose denies the league one more team that it can't use in its marketing efforts.  And denies all of the fanbases around the league a quality product when those teams come to their barn,

Edit- remove Crosby.  That was an unusual situation.

Edited by We've

We actually could have dropped 3 spots last night...  :ph34r:

Dropping 2 spots sucks but I still like that they've removed an incentive to tank a season.  The NHL actually got one right.

sorry, thought 8 was as high as we could go. Wow we kinda won in a strange way cause that is great for us! could be worse, we could be Vancouver who got bumped way down and they need virtually everything cause as everyone knows, they are terrible. They have no prospects and the Sundins are so past their prime.

Meanwhile, it is true that this should stop tanking....and wherever we draft does not change the fact that what really matters for us is that the new GM add one of two defencemen (Antipin sounds fine and Guhle is a stud but maybe too soon for him). Whoever we get at 8 is for the future and we need help on D Now! 

Sorta. They certainly started to tank when their season went south, but they didn't enter the year with that as the plan.

Anyway, I'm still of the opinion that a lottery doesn't change the tanking incentives much. As long as the talent distribution of the NHL draft is so strongly skewed towards the top, teams will have am incentive to go after it when rebuilding.

I've said before that the problem needs to be fixed, not just by de-incentivizing it, but also by legislating away the tools to do so.  For example, players under contract should only be allowed to be traded for other players under contract.

Edited by We've

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.