2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

GASabresIUFAN

Honestly, sometimes I also felt Kane made bad decisions or simply didn't think during a play/with the puck on his stick. However, I think when he finds a chemistry that works, or gets used to playing with a certain line, things will start to look more intuitive. His raw talent alone led him to lead the team last year in goals. Imagine him after real chemistry starts to develop.

Speaking of bias- I do admit, I may have a pro-Kane bias. But it just aggravates me when people are still citing a tweet from 5 years ago. That's when I start to sense the anti-bias.

Edited by ericcomposer72

FWIW, here are all of Kane's goals from last year

It's a damning argument against me honestly, because those are all pretty goals. Who knows, maybe this will be the most crow I eat since Drouin / RoR

Great video.  I notice that Kane is often in the position that he should be in due to following the flow of the play.  I think he would be deadly on a line centered by Sam.  

Great video.  I notice that Kane is often in the position that he should be in due to following the flow of the play.  I think he would be deadly on a line centered by Sam.  

He was in all of those videos, but I vividly remember his terrible zone entries and abysmal passing decisions 

The only problem is those are Kane's goals, not the one's where he just flung the puck at the net when he should have passed... that is his downside... vision or patience with the puck. Would like to see his assists go up. But it bears repeating... others have said he is one of the few guys that can keep up with Eichel on a full out sprint.

The new system will be based on a puck possession transitional game, which will involve the D a lot more, if we can assume it will mirror Nashville. I think this will help Kane as he will not need to be running around and will be placed in better shooting percentage places.

EDIT TO ADD:

I really don't know what I am talking about here, eh.

I was with you until that last line.  You nailed it; don't detract from that.

The new system will be based on a puck possession transitional game, which will involve the D a lot more, if we can assume it will mirror Nashville. I think this will help Kane as he will not need to be running around and will be placed in better shooting percentage places.

EDIT TO ADD:

I really don't know what I am talking about here, eh.

I was with you until that last line.  You nailed it; don't detract from that.

It's a good thought. Like I said, I hate Kane entering the zone with the puck, he's just so bad at it. If he can already be in the zone, floating around while someone else sets him up, that might work

The only problem is those are Kane's goals, not the one's where he just flung the puck at the net when he should have passed... that is his downside... vision or patience with the puck. Would like to see his assists go up. But it bears repeating... others have said he is one of the few guys that can keep up with Eichel on a full out sprint.

This 1000%

Welcome to the board.

Both of these are kind of obnoxious. 

Keep the hockey posts coming, but please keep it friendly and respectful.

I wouldn't say either one of those is particularly disrespectful.  Disagreeable, but hey, this is a sports forum.  On the internet.

Frankly I don't care if he misses a lot if he leads the team in goals.

Not Eichel's. 

To be more clear, it was what he did the next 10ft in the zone that pissed me off 

Toss the puck into the corner, go retrieve puck, if puck retrieved immediately slam it back to the point, point person shoot at goal... or forward blocking your shot, def don't skate laterally to avoid them. 

This is more what I pictured. Though I would say Scandella gets more, Bogo less, and Antipin more

New system makes me think he'll get less. He doesn't know how to do anything but skate up the wing and shoot at stupid angles.

The defense is very hard to predict because their goal numbers vary so much season to season and especially this season with many guys new to the Sabres and everyone dealing with new roles in a new system. Scandella's range is 3 - 11; Bogo's is 2-11, but he has 3 seasons of 7 or more, while Marco has only one season over 5. It will really depend on who gets more PP time Imho. I'm slotting Antipin as a 3rd pairing guy and using Zaitsev (he had 4 last year) as a guide, I'm thinking 3-4 should be the expectation.

As to Kane, he scores 1 goal every 3 games on average over the last 5 seasons. His physical style almost always costs him 10-20 games per year. If you figure 60-70 games, you are looking at 20-23 goals. I am curious how he'll play in a system that looks to put a premium on passing skills. He'll either thrive converting passes from guys like Sam and ROR, or he'll get relegated to the 3rd line for not playing within Wowie's unit structure.

Edited by GASabresFan

Honestly, pair this guy with Reinhart and it's two birds, one stone. It's so darn obvious. Both those guys will FLOURISH being paired together. Their skill sets are a near perfect match.

Anything to get Reinhart as 3rd center and "skate 3 lines" like in the Drury-Briere-Roy days

Pouliot - Eichel - Okposo

Girgs - ROR - Pominville

Kane - Reinhart - Bailey

Moulson - Larsson - Fasching

Heard Bailey as right shot can play left wing, could sub him instead of Girgs and get:

Bailey - ROR - Pominville

Kane - Reinhart - Baptiste

Girgs - Larsson - Fasching

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

Anything to get Reinhart as 3rd center and "skate 3 lines" like in the Drury-Briere-Roy days

Girgs - ROR - Pominville

Kane - Reinhart - Bailey

Heard Bailey as right shot can play left wing, could sub him instead of Girgs and get:

Yup to all of this. 

Girgs - ROR - Pominville

Kane - Reinhart - Bailey

Swap Baptiste for Bailey and Fasching for Pominstein and we are off to the races.  Bailey back to the Amerks.

Girgs - ROR - Pominville

Kane - Reinhart - Bailey

I like the 1st one except for expecting 2 of the prospects to be ready right away.

Is anyone else a little concerned about Nylander? I expected a bit more from him last year for his first year in the AHL. I heard he's put on more size though.

Nope, he's still a little kid.