• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

Especially if we believe Toro's names and experience doesn't seem to be as big a factor as we originally thought.

Generally I don't believe anything like that on here unless I've seen the poster call it time and again. No offense to Toro; at least it brings discussion. 

But how much experience does Dubas have? Fenton seems like a better idea.

Yeah that's really hanging me up on Dubas. We're not really in the position where we can afford mistakes with this hire, and Dubas is a massive risk; he's either Epstein 2.0 or a total bust. Fenton has a very attractive blend of experience and a proven ability to build rosters around modern thinking (a-la unlike that dinosaur Lombardi).

I sleep much better at night with Fenton, but I'm excited about Dubas. Problem is, Fenton isn't going to be available for at least 2 weeks, and I don't think we can wait that long. Outside of those two, I'm not really thrilled with anyone

Yeah that's really hanging me up on Dubas. We're not really in the position where we can afford mistakes with this hire, and Dubas is a massive risk; he's either Epstein 2.0 or a total bust. Fenton has a very attractive blend of experience and a proven ability to build rosters around modern thinking (a-la unlike that dinosaur Lombardi).

I sleep much better at night with Fenton, but I'm excited about Dubas. Problem is, Fenton isn't going to be available for at least 2 weeks, and I don't think we can wait that long. Outside of those two, I'm not really thrilled with anyone

There's a sex joke in here... 

The other thing with Dubas is that Fenton has been in the league longer and knows more people. As the person who is hiring the coach, it is important that we have a GM with a good knowledge and pool of people to pull from. I think Dubas is like GMTM but more analytical and younger. I would love to have him on board as an assistant but I think he needs another 3-5 years to marinate and be an assistant. 

Fenton is 57 and has been in Nashville for 19 years I beleive. Dubas is 30 and has been with Toronto since 2011. He has 5 years of experience in one place. I didn't even include Fenton's work in Anaheim. Love the idea of Dubas if he had more experience in the league but I think Fenton is more ready.  

Edited by LGR4GM

There's a sex joke in here... 

I'm cheating on Fenton with Dubas

The other thing with Dubas is that Fenton has been in the league longer and knows more people. As the person who is hiring the coach, it is important that we have a GM with a good knowledge and pool of people to pull from. I think Dubas is like GMTM but more analytical and younger. I would love to have him on board as an assistant but I think he needs another 3-5 years to marinate and be an assistant. 

Fenton is 57 and has been in Nashville for 19 years I beleive. Dubas is 30 and has been with Toronto since 2011. He has 5 years of experience in one place. I didn't even include Fenton's work in Anaheim. Love the idea of Dubas if he had more experience in the league but I think Fenton is more ready.  

Agreed on Dubas. A big worry with him is his connections, and if he can be respected and make deals with other GMs

I'm not interested in a GM from either Phoenix or Toronto.  I want one from an organ-eye-zation that has had a lot of success for a period of years -- not a franchise that has had zero success (Phoenix) or a smidgen (Toronto).

I mean, you can wait 5 years for it to pan out but at this point it's inevitable as the sun rising. 

@WGR550

Button - I like Bill Guerin. He's learned some things in his time in Pittsburgh. This is good for him #Sabres

@WGR550  28s28 seconds ago

Button - Craig Conroy is an intelligent guy. It's time for him to get consideration for a GM job. #Sabres

I'm impressed with Dubas' mind. Love to add him into the organization.

Don't think he's been around the block enough to be the head guy though.

The Chayka talk puzzled the hell out of me; he's already employed, has no track record of success and lacks the experience Pegula said he wanted. Tinfoil hat theory: rumour planted by his agent to create the perception he's in demand?

I'm impressed with Dubas' mind. Love to add him into the organization.

Don't think he's been around the block enough to be the head guy though.

The Chayka talk puzzled the hell out of me; he's already employed, has no track record of success and lacks the experience Pegula said he wanted. Tinfoil hat theory: rumour planted by his agent to create the perception he's in demand?

My tinfoil hat theory: Pegula's wanted to talk to him to compare him to Dubas to better gauge the latter

If you want Dubas, you make him GM. There is no middle ground here. This is akin to thinking Stamkos is going to come here to play the wing as a complement to Eichel.

If you're worried about the experience, there's probably nothing I can say to convince you otherwise. But Dubas is older and has more experience than Theo Epstein did when he was named GM of the Sox at 28. If you really think his mind is on that level, you roll with it.

If you want Dubas, you make him GM. There is no middle ground here. This is akin to thinking Stamkos is going to come here to play the wing as a complement to Eichel.

If you're worried about the experience, there's probably nothing I can say to convince you otherwise. But Dubas is older and has more experience than Theo Epstein did when he was named GM of the Sox at 28. If you really think his mind is on that level, you roll with it.

But would he be GM under a veteran, connected hockey ops guy with contacts and administrative savvy?

That's something that intrigues me.

But would he be GM under a veteran, connected hockey ops guy with contacts and administrative savvy?

That's something that intrigues me.

Who knows, but I really don't expect that to happen.

Right now Dubas is under Shanny, Lou and possibly Hunter.

Plenty of insulation there. Little worried about him without that.

Maybe he's ready? The one thing that struck me listening to him was that he seems to be an absolute sponge for information and learning. I don't think he's the type that needs a decade waiting in the wings before he's ready for his own gig.

Don't think Pegula is willing to take that risk right now.

He may very well be unwilling. But his hesitance shouldn't prevent any of us from thinking it's the right move.

Edit: And honestly, I don't think the Peter Principle is any more likely to apply to Dubas than to Fenton. For instance, why has Fenton been passed over so many times?

Edited by TrueBlueGED