• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

Each of these guys has been in the league long enough to know who they'd want as a coach and in other positions they rely upon.  I wouldn't worry about the time crunch.  All of the Sabres scouting notes are available and the incoming guy (Botteril) will have the Pens notes as well.

It's not like there are 250 new players they've never seen before that need to be evaluated.

I believe Botterill is a good choice. He sounds like a cap expert but I would think he has an eye for talent as well. If not, then he needs to bring in some great evaluators. He's been part of some great teams so he deserves some credit.

A cap expert sounds more like an accountant than a GM.

I graduated HS with a guy who literally "sharpens skates" for the team. He has been a loyal and hard working (and I presume, competent) employee for more than 20 years. I don't know how much he makes, maybe $40k per year? Gets some health benefits I presume. So a bunch of millionaire coaches and management types, and millionaire players suck at winning hockey games for 5+ years and the way to fix that is to fire a bunch of people eking out their living?  I can't believe folks are seriously suggesting to fire laundry washers and ticket sellers  to have a "fresh start" on the ice? Frankly, that's appalling. 

We really need a new GM and Coach to start talking about how to upgrade the defense and play a more modern system and who should be the goalie, etc as opposed to firing the Earl of Bud to upgrade the team's Corsi. 

Edited by Sakman

I believe Botterill is a good choice. He sounds like a cap expert but I would think he has an eye for talent as well. If not, then he needs to bring in some great evaluators. He's been part of some great teams so he deserves some credit.

A cap expert sounds more like an accountant than a GM.

Is he really a cap expert tho?

Next season the Pens have only 13 skaters under contract, with only $12m in cap space to fill 12 spots on the roster. 

They have $52m, over 70% of their cap, tied up in only 9 players.

$38m, 50% of their cap, is going to 5 players.... Crosy, Maklin. Kessel, Letang, Fluery.

Next season the Pens have only 13 skaters under contract, with only $12m in cap space to fill 12 spots on the roster. 

$38m, 50% of their cap, is going to 5 players.... Crosy, Maklin. Kessel, Letang, Fluery.

I'm not researching their team too heavily, but, Fleury should move, shedding 5.75 million.

The Blackhawks have a cap expert too, but their core is now overvalued, as was the Kings.....

I graduated HS with a guy who literally "sharpens skates" for the team. He has been a loyal and hard working (and I presume, competent) employee for more than 20 years. I don't know how much he makes, maybe $40k per year? Gets some health benefits I presume. So a bunch of millionaire coaches and management types, and millionaire players suck at winning hockey games for 5+ years and the way to fix that is to fire a bunch of people eking out their living?  I can't believe folks are seriously suggesting to fire laundry washers and ticket sellers  to have a "fresh start" on the ice? Frankly, that's appalling. 

We really need a new GM and Coach to start talking about how to upgrade the defense and play a more modern system and who should be the goalie, etc as opposed to firing the Earl of Bud to upgrade the team's Corsi. 

Also a valid opinion.

Aside from the Bylsma issue, how history will judge Murray depends a lot on the outcome of the O'Reilly, Lehner, and Kane trades. He gave up quite a large number of assets in a short amount of time. Some of those assets, if kept, could have gone toward quality defensemen that could have saved this season and his job.

However, it should also be noted that no draft pick Murray traded ever ended up being higher than the 21st overall pick. O'Reilly, Lehner, and Kane are already proven starters in this league and still have lots of room to grow. None of Pysyk, McNabb, Zadorov, or Weber are likely to end up as top-2 defensemen at this point. And none of Grigorenko, Armia, Lemieux, Compher look to be top-6 NHL forwards.

Was Murray the right man for the job at the right time? Maybe. His trade aggression was a breath of fresh air compared to the overly timid Regier. The winners of trades are usually the GM's who received the best player. O'Reilly, Lehner, and Kane all may end up as top-100 NHL players who play critical roles in future Cup-contending Sabres teams. Or maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here....

I still think Murray could have saved himself by firing Bylsma and having some coherent answer to Pegula's question of how he was going to fix the team. But I am ready to move on and look forward to Mr. Botterill, if some of the rumors are to be believed.

But then we wouldn't have O'Reilly, Lehner and Kane, correct?

I'm not researching their team too heavily, but, Fleury should move, shedding 5.75 million.

The Blackhawks have a cap expert too, but their core is now overvalued, as was the Kings.....

Moving Fluery would help, but they only have 3 defensemen under contract next season.    Not sure what they have in the pipeline, but they'll need to lean on some ELCs for certain.

Looking over their roster, at some UFAs, you have to imagine Botterill will try to poach some of "his" guys if they become available...

A guy like Matt Cullen, IMO, would be a great add, even at age 40.    He can still skate, would be a huge upgrade over Gionta IMO.

Then there's guys like Daley, Hainsey, Bonino, Kunitz... I could see atleast 2 of those guys filling important roles in BUF.

He had a hand in the development of cheap wingers to complement the core of expensive stars that allows them to win cups and avoid must-buy-out contracts in that situation, which is a plus for a team that has Eichel, O'Reilly, Risto, and a hopefully blossoming Reinhart. 

Good teams with star players are going to be at or near the cap, and have a lot of money tied up in a small group. The test, in my view, is whether the team is overpaying the peripheral players. Pittsburgh is not. They didn't fall prey to paying for past performance. For example, they didn't try to squeeze Orpik under the cap.

I'm doubtful, but I really hope Pegs knows what he is doing with this hire. Maybe we don't know much about him, but Botterill seems like a safety choice. And I really hope Fenton didn't get the job based on more than just his "abrasive" personality. Seriously, isn't Pegs able to deal with anybody but yes men?

I couldn't agree more, well said.

I'm doubtful, but I really hope Pegs knows what he is doing with this hire. Maybe we don't know much about him, but Botterill seems like a safety choice. And I really hope Fenton didn't get the job based on more than just his "abrasive" personality. Seriously, isn't Pegs able to deal with anybody but yes men?

What does Fenton have for credentials that Botterill doesn't? Or is it just the attraction of a personality? Any GM in the league is a yes man if you're talking about answering to an owner. Okay, I'm getting the impression you don't like the owner based on you prefer confronting personality and not just who can build a team and organization. I liked Murray but you need to work with people. Fenton may be a good hire but no one has specifically explained why he's a better pick than Botterill.

Maybe not yes men, but if he hires Botterill the trend line with both teams seems to be the hiring of young, unproven guys he can "work with" and wouldn't be expected to rock the HMS Flat Management Structure. No emperors, as Terry once said.

A bit of a straw man. I wouldn't go as far as you're suggesting. The core guys around the team? Yes. I mean, even the president gets to fire the black woman White House usher and replace her with an old, white, rich dude.

Maybe not yes men, but if he hires Botterill the trend line with both teams seems to be the hiring of young, unproven guys he can "work with" and wouldn't be expected to rock the HMS Flat Management Structure. No emperors, as Terry once said.

A bit of a straw man. I wouldn't go as far as you're suggesting. The core guys around the team? Yes. I mean, even the president gets to fire the black woman White House usher and replace her with an old, white, rich dude.

You better believe as an owner I want people "I can work with". What kind of a business owner wouldn't? I'm beginning to think there is a bit of anti-Pegula sentiments who no matter what he does really doesn't matter.