• Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

Sabretooth with 3 votes, impressive.

Does anyone know his/her take on the defensive depth? Also, how do they interpret Kane's value to the community?

Expansion draft philosophy? Do they prefer knights or nights?

I may be switching my vote if Sabretooth confirms a strong belief that WNY pigs in the blanket are actually cabbage rolls.

Aaron Portazline

Told by two sources #CBJ asst GM Bill Zito has interviewed w #Sabres regarding their GM opening. Neither Zito nor Kekalainen will confirm.

Fitzgerald would be the only Hockey Parent who could get away with telling the Sabres HC to play his son more.

No thanks on Fitzgerald though

Aaron Portazline

Told by two sources #CBJ asst GM Bill Zito has interviewed w #Sabres regarding their GM opening. Neither Zito nor Kekalainen will confirm.

Fitzgerald would be the only Hockey Parent who could get away with telling the Sabres HC to play his son more.

No thanks on Fitzgerald though

Seconded.  I have zero interest in the AGM of a team with zero playoff series wins ever.

Because he is not a turncoat?

he left the Sabres with Briere on that horrible day for fans. Maybe the Sabres management was incompetent,  but I as a fan felt betrayed by Drury and Briere. You may not have felt that way...you may have loved it for all I know. But I never wanted to see Drury or Briere as long as I lived after that. And now the team wanted to hire that guy as GM.

he left the Sabres with Briere on that horrible day for fans. Maybe the Sabres management was incompetent, but I as a fan felt betrayed by Drury and Briere. You may not have felt that way...you may have loved it for all I know. But I never wanted to see Drury or Briere as long as I lived after that. And now the team wanted to hire that guy as GM.

Sorry you felt that way but he and Briere desperately wanted to stay.

Per Sabres Buzz, yes I know it's Sabres Buzz, the Pegulas are meeting Futa in Toronto Tonight or in Buffalo Tomorrow also with Pat Verbeek. I call shenanigans

Per Dave Davis

Friedman also brought up Ed Olczyk as someone who potentially could have a role with the Sabres.

Per Sabres Buzz, yes I know it's Sabres Buzz, the Pegulas are meeting Futa in Toronto Tonight or in Buffalo Tomorrow also with Pat Verbeek. I call shenanigans

Per Dave Davis

Friedman also brought up Ed Olczyk as someone who potentially could have a role with the Sabres.

Saw that Olczyk bit - not as GM, but as a member of the hockey department.

For PA, Eddies son plays at Penn State.

Edited by dudacek

What Bill Zito's got that I havent seen from others is personality. Yale grad. Lawyer. Self-made businessman as an agent.

Wisconsin Law, where he also served as the asst hockey coach while going to law school.

Played hockey at Yale.

Still like Fenton.

Edited by GASabresFan

I remember Botterill most from when he was a world junior darling with Canada in the 90s. Three consecutive WJC golds - only player to ever do that. Pretty sure he captained at least one of those teams.

Late 1st round pick out of college, where he won a national championship. Was supposed to be an old school Tonelli/Nystrom type power winger but his feet were too slow. Had a few cups of coffee in the NHL over a 10-year career. But mostly played in the minors. Pretty sure he captained one of his AHL teams to a title.

Finished his career with Buffalo/Rochester. Retired as the Amerks captain because of a concussion. Went back to school and got his MBA. Got a job with the Penguins immediately as a scout, then handling administration of the hockey department, and quickly graduated to assistant GM where he was in charge of contracts and the cap. Was a runner-up to Murray for the Sabres job.

Was seen as a progressive in the Pens debate that got Bylsma and Shero fired as dinosaurs. But the brass also didn't think he was ready then to run the show. Instead, they tabbed him as "associate GM" - basically GM in waiting behind the veteran Rutherford, performing all GM duties, but not having the final GM say. Young and smart. He'll be 41 in May.

He doesn't seem to have an interesting personality like Murray, but his resume sure checks all the boxes. He's second on my list, after Julien Brisebois

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/data-debate-at-the-heart-of-pittsburghs-retooling-under-caretaker-gm-rutherford/article19061573/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Interesting. I'm warming up to Botterill. And it looks like the Penguins have a good shot at winning their 3rd Stanley Cup in 9 years.

I wonder if it's possible the owner decides on a experienced sports executive

Like Tim Liweke to become CEO of the owners sports enterprises

Leiweke is credited with the hires of management of soccer team, hockey team and basketball team . Leeweke would sweep clean both floundering groups

Interesting. I'm warming up to Botterill. And it looks like the Penguins have a good shot at winning their 3rd Stanley Cup in 9 years.

And we'll realize the importance of having more than 2 lines.

I wonder if it's possible the owner decides on a experienced sports executive

Like Tim Liweke to become CEO of the owners sports enterprises

Leiweke is credited with the hires of management of soccer team, hockey team and basketball team . Leeweke would sweep clean both floundering groups

One large barrier to that: Russ Brandon.

Sounds like we'll have our guy this week.

We'll have Terry's guy this week. I do not have much confidence it will be a step up. I am concerned with his comments about the fans needing to have confidence in the owner. The same owner who handed the keys to an unproven head coach. I see TP and KP looking for adulation based on their involvement when most fans want them to hire qualified sports people and step away. I also do not see where having a coach in charge is a good idea. No accountability and a conflict of interest between long term and short term goals.

I am hoping for the best but prepared to be underwhelmed by TP.

We'll have Terry's guy this week. I do not have much confidence it will be a step up. I am concerned with his comments about the fans needing to have confidence in the owner. The same owner who handed the keys to an unproven head coach. I see TP and KP looking for adulation based on their involvement when most fans want them to hire qualified sports people and step away. I also do not see where having a coach in charge is a good idea. No accountability and a conflict of interest between long term and short term goals.

I am hoping for the best but prepared to be underwhelmed by TP.

Yeah same.

Everything he does says Terry knows best. Terry knows squat. Hire a competent hockey man and stand back.