• Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

And, of course, Chad Ruhwedel.

(Here's an factoid I found interesting: Ruhwedel is from San Diego. Pretty rare hometown for an NHLer, eh?)

Another fun factoid, he played for the San Diego Junior Gulls, which are now known as the San Diego Sabers (yes, they spelled it wrong :P) Edited by skaught

Another fun factoid.  While skiing in Tahoe, I was asked if I was from San Diego bc I have a sabres helmet sticker on mine.  The man said never mind yours is spelled correctly. 

I think he liked that word so much after you used it a few days ago that he has claimed it. I really don't think he knows what it means.

Well I do love that word, yes. I think I subconsciously got it from here a few years back and have been using it since. A buddy called me out on it and said it wasn't a word and what do ya know? dudacek used it that very same day

Yes, I do know what it means though ;)

Edited by WildCard

Willie Desjardens. Puke :sick: . Listening to sports talk 1040 this past season when they complained about Willies coaching I heard all the same things we complained about Bylsma. Terrible line juggler. Terrible player usage. Not playing the kids. Granted the lineup was pathetic in Van but they looked like a tank team and they were trying to win. No thanks to Willie as coach. Gillis as G.M. meh.

Here's another thing: Fenton is 57 with an abrasive personality who has been overlooked many times.

Botterill is 40 and has been a leader all his life.

Random media folks for some unknown reason (ie. Laziness) have thrown out the thought of a BU takeover with Drury and Quinn. Theyve been looking the the wrongs BU guy the whole time.

What's the scoop on Botteril? I don't know much about him.

Heard a tale/rumor XGMTM got drunk with his scouts one night and tossed a pint class to floor at local buffalo bar.

I think Terry heard that one too.

I remember Botterill most from when he was a world junior darling with Canada in the 90s. Three consecutive WJC golds - only player to ever do that. Pretty sure he captained at least one of those teams.

Late 1st round pick out of college, where he won a national championship. Was supposed to be an old school Tonelli/Nystrom type power winger but his feet were too slow. Had a few cups of coffee in the NHL over a 10-year career. But mostly played in the minors. Pretty sure he captained one of his AHL teams to a title.

Finished his career with Buffalo/Rochester. Retired as the Amerks captain because of a concussion. Went back to school and got his MBA. Got a job with the Penguins immediately as a scout, then handling administration of the hockey department, and quickly graduated to assistant GM where he was in charge of contracts and the cap. Was a runner-up to Murray for the Sabres job.

Was seen as a progressive in the Pens debate that got Bylsma and Shero fired as dinosaurs. But the brass also didn't think he was ready then to run the show. Instead, they tabbed him as "associate GM" - basically GM in waiting behind the veteran Rutherford, performing all GM duties, but not having the final GM say. Young and smart. He'll be 41 in May.

He doesn't seem to have an interesting personality like Murray, but his resume sure checks all the boxes. He's second on my list, after Julien Brisebois

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/data-debate-at-the-heart-of-pittsburghs-retooling-under-caretaker-gm-rutherford/article19061573/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Edited by dudacek

But who are the front runners at this point?

1) Zito - (52) Former agent and attorney; AGM for CBJ and GM of AHL Cleveland 

2) Futa (49) - recently AGM in LA, but third in their depth chart behind Pres Robitaile and VP & GM Rob Blake.  11 season with Kings, former VP of Hockey Ops and Director of Player Personnel. https://lakingsinsider.com/2017/04/12/futa-promoted-assistant-general-manager/

3) Botterill (40) - (see Dudacek's post above)

4) Other?  Dudley, MacIver, LombardI?

Why Zito on top?

Confirmed interviews: Guerin, Botterill, Futa, Fitzgerald (three Pit guys for you, PA)

Rejected on Drury, haven't asked permission for Lombardi.

That was my question. I have no idea who is leading. I place Zito first because he was the one I've seen mentioned most, not because I think he is the front runner. I'm trying to gage who others think are leading or in contention.

http://www.tsn.ca/an-executive-shopping-list-for-the-sabres-1.737593

Here is a pretty good summation of available candidates. I still love the idea of Dudley as President plus a young Gm

Edited by GASabresFan