Tim Murray and Dan Byslma Have Been Fired

Mustache of God

LOL or not, you weren't aware that after last nights BS that this post would fire everyone up? That never crossed your mind?  Like you didn't know what you were doing...... OK..... right.

I've gotten a pretty good sense of swamp's sense of humor over the last decade.  He was kidding.

Folks, Terry Pegula drinks alcohol (I have witnessed this), owns at least two bars, and also has his own brand of beer. He's not a teetotaler and he is not against drinking alcohol.

He hired Rex Ryan, who does not wear religion on his sleeve at all and certainly likes beer. Same goes for Tim Murray and Ted Black, as far as I can tell.

I do not think his hiring practices are motivated by religion or alcohol use.

For my part, I never ventured that he was a teetotaler.

We have heard him reference Christian values at least twice wrt a key hiring decision (HC both times). I feel like there was a third -- maybe regarding a player. Regehr?

Tbe faith-based principles may not control or govern his decision making, but they're obviously there -- ready to fill a void or tip the balance.

Also, my concerns about his ability to think critically and deploy a healthy sense of skepticism are fueled by his apparent confidence in Brandon.

We have heard him reference Christian values at least twice wrt a key hiring decision (HC both times). I feel like there was a third -- maybe regarding a player. Regehr?

Tbe faith-based principles may not control or govern his decision making, but they're obviously there -- ready to fill a void or tip the balance.

Also, my concerns about his ability to think critically and deploy a healthy sense of skepticism are fueled by his apparent confidence in Brandon.

Or maybe it's just marketing to a segment of the public who appreciates that stuff.

Who the knows?

Judging by the employment status of the three you mentioned, one might say his hiring practices might not be motivated by religion, but apparently his firing practices are.

:lol:

But remember - Pegula stated publicly that he hates to fire people.    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   

Anyone who believes that, I've got some fracked land in PA to sell you.  

The man veritably crawls with contradictions and inconsistencies.   The only thing that seems consistent - his ownership of both the Bills and Sabres have been consistently turbulent and chaotic, and the results to date have been poor ones.  His teams' plans have altered course more frequently than sailboats at a regatta.  

Cliff Benson for sure. But that's more "birds of a feather" stuff. Ted Black might be another example. I have nothing concrete, just some loose memories floating around. I'll try and dig into it.

Getting away from the narrow Christian issue, I don't think there's any doubt that Terry and Kim are moving toward instilling their values in both organizations. It can be a Christian litmus test for coaches (or just an important factor that tips candidates into favor), it can be non-religious philosophies that Terry picked up in life and business, like discipline and structure (you know the rest). It can be corporate values, as seen in how all three PSE entities operate ("One Buffalo"). This is probably more Kim's purview.

The central question is if, or even how, any of that can lead to a Stanley Cup or Lombardi Trophy. I'd be much, much more inclined to allow respective hockey and football presidents to put that stamp on the organizations.

It's still a good thought exercise. If you have a negative reaction you should honestly ask yourself why?

It's a dumb way of evaluating coaching candidates? It comes way too close to the idea that to be a good person in our society and have morals and values, you have to be a person of faith.

Edited by PASabreFan

I wonder how folks would feel if TP said about his coach "he's a fine man who keeps the Sabbath" or "he's made the Hajj pilgrimage?"

My bet would be that if it were said, the same people here who make snarky comments would have absolutely nothing to say, out of fear as coming across like a bigot (and rightfully so).

In 2017 multi culturalism and open mindedness has yet to be realized, all that has changed is which groups are socially accepted to be ridiculed.

My bet would be that if it were said, the same people here who make snarky comments would have absolutely nothing to say, out of fear as coming across like a bigot (and rightfully so).

In 2017 multi culturalism and open mindedness has yet to be realized, all that has changed is which groups are socially accepted to be ridiculed.

I respect yours and everyone's right to practice their religious beliefs but I also feel the victim mentality shown by some Christians is disingenuous.

Or maybe it's just marketing to a segment of the public who appreciates that stuff.

Who the ###### knows?

Hmm. *Maybe*.

Several years ago, I might have cottoned to this.

Not anymore. I think he says it because he believes it to be true and significant.

As for "who knows ": Indeed. None of us do. So, have a take, I say.

Disingenuous? For the last two years in a row Christians were the most persecuted people worldwide. In the West we are ridiculed and in the east we are ethnicly cleansed. Bigotry is bigotry.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/17/world/christian-persecution-2015/

I visited the website of Open Door USA, the authors of that study you cite in the link. That group only presents persecution against Christians.  

Trying to move on from this religion derail...

I've read a lot of stuff about Bylsma's "system" and how he forced it and wasn't adapting to his players.

I'm admittedly much more knowledgeable about football than hockey so I was wondering if someone could explain what Bylsma's system was. I'd also be curious to hear what other systems folks feel are better. It's easier for me to judge NFL hires (runs a west coast offense and a Tampa-2 defense) but I honestly don't know what hockey systems are en vogue.

Trying to move on from this religion derail...

I've read a lot of stuff about Bylsma's "system" and how he forced it and wasn't adapting to his players.

I'm admittedly much more knowledgeable about football than hockey so I was wondering if someone could explain what Bylsma's system was. I'd also be curious to hear what other systems folks feel are better. It's easier for me to judge NFL hires (runs a west coast offense and a Tampa-2 defense) but I honestly don't know what hockey systems are en vogue.

Maybe they lost FAITH in him. Same as the uproar over Wrecks and his system. Players hinted to that with Wrecks also,

I wonder if DB will be pickedd up by anyone this offseason? That's something that hasn't been discussed I don't think. I do think he's a good coach, but I don't think he's able to adjust to the players that he has.

Come to think of it, he can't cause he's still under contract with us right? Or does us buying him out release him?

I didn't read after this post yet, so maybe it has been addressed.

I think that both Bylsma and Murray are still under contract with the Sabres.  In fact, they were not fired, but relieved on the responsibilities, which is different, although I am not a lawyer, so maybe that is not right.

My understanding is that they are still being paid and any team wanting to hire them will have to ask permission and possible give some kind of compensation to the Sabres (middling draft pick) if they hire one, or  the other.  I think the Sabres had to give the Penguins a draft pick when they hired Bylsma, who was, I think, still under contract with the Pens.

Then again, maybe I am talking out of my a$$, which has happened a lot around here over the years.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I didn't read after this post yet, so maybe it has been addressed.

I think that both Bylsma and Murray are still under contract with the Sabres.  In fact, they were not fired, but relieved on the responsibilities, which is different, although I am not a lawyer, so maybe that is not right.

My understanding is that they are still being paid and any team wanting to hire them will have to ask permission and possible give some kind of compensation to the Sabres (middling draft pick) if they hire one, or  the other.  I think the Sabres had to give the Penguins a draft pick when they hired Bylsma, who was, I think, still under contract with the Pens.

Then again, maybe I am talking out of my a$$, which has happened a lot around here over the years.

I think the Sabres would still have to give permission but I think the league abolished the draft choice compensation thing.

I respect yours and everyone's right to practice their religious beliefs but I also feel the victim mentality shown by some Christians is disingenuous.

Sorry but the first shot across the bow , I don't believe was by a Faith supporter. Go back and see how this all started. As a Christian I don't have a victim mentality but if I bring up Faith it's pushing my faith on others but feel free to criticize Faith with no question of pushing one's anti Christian view. Double standards????

What's arrival?

I always get confused going to airports. I'm arriving at the airport so I should go to arrivals right? I'm not departing anything, in fact, I'm not even there yet.

Anyway, yeah Arrival was good, not your typical aliens visiting earth movie. More like Contact than Independence Day.

I always get confused going to airports. I'm arriving at the airport so I should go to arrivals right? I'm not departing anything, in fact, I'm not even there yet.

Anyway, yeah Arrival was good, not your typical aliens visiting earth movie. More like Contact than Independence Day.

Contact (the book) is a huge reason why I'm doing what I am with my life

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.