Sorry to Say: The Tank Was A Swing And A Miss

Swedesessed

The tank was the worst decision ever made by the Sabres.

Never underestimate the value of luck. In the lottery system, luck can change your fortune immensely. The Sabres never caught a big break at the right time. Edmonton caught lightning in a bottle with McDavid. Winnipeg did the same with Laine. You can go back a few years to Pittsburgh to Crosby and Malkin for more luck.

I'd rather be lucky. Will Buffalo ever get lucky? I guess they did once when they got Gil Perreault, but that was almost 50 years ago. They're due!!!

Never underestimate the value of luck. In the lottery system, luck can change your fortune immensely. The Sabres never caught a big break at the right time. Edmonton caught lightning in a bottle with McDavid. Winnipeg did the same with Laine. You can go back a few years to Pittsburgh to Crosby and Malkin for more luck.

I'd rather be lucky. Will Buffalo ever get lucky? I guess they did once when they got Gil Perreault, but that was almost 50 years ago. They're due!!!

The good thing about the tank in '14-'15 is that it didn't require luck to succeed. We got a player better than Matthews and Laine, and we didn't even win the lottery.

The tank was a success, the Sabres got a franchise player that is both exciting and the cornerstone to build around for years. Take McDavid out of the draft and everyone would say the same.

Except that McDavid had zero impact on the Sabres being the 5th-worst team in the NHL this year -- which is why the tank was a terrible decision -- i.e. it usually doesn't work.

Except that McDavid had zero impact on the Sabres being the 5th-worst team in the NHL this year -- which is why the tank was a terrible decision -- i.e. it usually doesn't work.

Let's be fair too: If Bettman had a way to give the Sabres the 3rd pick for the McDavid/Eichel Draft: He absolutely would have.

2 years and your mind is set that it didnt or won't work? seems way too hasty to me.

Two years (+) in a vast wasteland is not worth it.  As stated many times the tank was a horrible decision.

If there was no tank, but a rebuild instead, would the Sabres be further along the road back to even respectability?  It is an interesting question and it can't be answered, but I think it would be possible, maybe even probable.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Let's be fair too: If Bettman had a way to give the Sabres the 3rd pick for the McDavid/Eichel Draft: He absolutely would have.

I don't like Bettman, and I honestly believe the league favors original six and big market teams (via on ice officiating). In 2002 however, Bettman protected the Sabres when we needed the league the most. Bettman doesn't hate or dislike Buffalo.

I don't like Bettman, and I honestly believe the league favors original six and big market teams (via on ice officiating). In 2002 however, Bettman protected the Sabres when we needed the league the most. Bettman doesn't hate or dislike Buffalo.

It all goes back to when they allowed that goal by Hull that  clearly should not have counted and won Dallas that Cup we should have won. At the draft, Lindy Ruff refused to shake anybody's hand on stage at the following draft and Ryan Miller spoke out on TV slamming the refs and the NHL for aloowing that goal that everyone knows should never have counted. Since then,. he NHL has a grudge against the Sabres even though both Lindy and Ryan are long gone.

It is funny living north of Toronto and being a Sabre fan you get a totally different perspective on things...I tuned in to a radio station up here, the Fan 590, and they have this cool guy named Bobcat who is totally outspoken and blunt as hell, but funny as hell too. Anyways, one day put the station on after work and while driving home. I heard Bobcat and another guy talking about how even they, up here in TO, can clearly see the NHL has in in for "that" team and how the refs screw them every chance they get now after Lindy refusing to shake the head of refereeing at the draft that year on stage on national TV. I was not sure who they were talking about til one or the other said it was the Sabres they were referring to. yes, even Leaf fans and a station that carries leafs games knew that the NHL was screwing the Sabres around. have no doubt, that grudge did,, and seems to, still exist

It all goes back to when they allowed that goal by Hull that clearly should not have counted and won Dallas that Cup we should have won. At the draft, Lindy Ruff refused to shake anybody's hand on stage at the following draft and Ryan Miller spoke out on TV slamming the refs and the NHL for aloowing that goal that everyone knows should never have counted. Since then,. he NHL has a grudge against the Sabres even though both Lindy and Ryan are long gone.

It is funny living north of Toronto and being a Sabre fan you get a totally different perspective on things...I tuned in to a radio station up here, the Fan 590, and they have this cool guy named Bobcat who is totally outspoken and blunt as hell, but funny as hell too. Anyways, one day put the station on after work and while driving home. I heard Bobcat and another guy talking about how even they, up here in TO, can clearly see the NHL has in in for "that" team and how the refs screw them every chance they get now after Lindy refusing to shake the head of refereeing at the draft that year on stage on national TV. I was not sure who they were talking about til one or the other said it was the Sabres they were referring to. yes, even Leaf fans and a station that carries leafs games knew that the NHL was screwing the Sabres around. have no doubt, that grudge did,, and seems to, still exist

Very intresting, didn't know that about the following draft. Always assumed it was a small market thing. Also intresting perspective to see how we are viewed north of Toronto and that others can see how it seems the refs are out for us. Thanks for that info certainly may explain things.

Very intresting, didn't know that about the following draft. Always assumed it was a small market thing. Also intresting perspective to see how we are viewed north of Toronto and that others can see how it seems the refs are out for us. Thanks for that info certainly may explain things.

yeah it is interesting being a Sabre fan in or around TO...I can say that the Sabres were highly thought of and obviously the Leaf fans were jealous for many years when they sucked and our boys were pretty darn good. I do not think the tank was a complete disaster or was not a success cause when you look at where we were a few year sago at least we have some real good young players and all is not doom and gloom although if one listened to our whining on here you would be led to think it is in Sabreland. We are close to being a real good team and a few players, along with some patience, should ensure that down the road

yeah it is interesting being a Sabre fan in or around TO...I can say that the Sabres were highly thought of and obviously the Leaf fans were jealous for many years when they sucked and our boys were pretty darn good. I do not think the tank was a complete disaster or was not a success cause when you look at where we were a few year sago at least we have some real good young players and all is not doom and gloom although if one listened to our whining on here you would be led to think it is in Sabreland. We are close to being a real good team and a few players, along with some patience, should ensure that down the road

Agreed, we improve the defense were in the playoffs.

He knows Buffalo fans will show up and consume his product regardless, that's why we never get any help in the lotteries.

Teams like NJ need help as an example.

Shame on Buffalo for being such good fans.

Edited by (E5)

He knows Buffalo fans will show up and consume his product regardless, that's why we never get any help in the lotteries.

Teams like NJ need help as an example.

Shame on Buffalo for being such good fans.

I don't think the lotteries are fixed (pretty sure that would be very illegal) I think we have bad "luck" so to speak. I do however think that we never get the calls other teams do on the ice.

Two years (+) in a vast wasteland is not worth it.  As stated many times the tank was a horrible decision.

If there was no tank, but a rebuild instead, would the Sabres be further along the road back to even respectability?  It is an interesting question and it can't be answered, but I think it would be possible, maybe even probable.

I mean, should they have kept Drew Stanford, and for that matter, Tyler Myers? The studs were showing. Ripping the rest of the drywall out isn't unreasonable...

I stand behind DrewmStanford...

Ugh, you get it by now

Declaring the tank a failure is premature. For instance, if Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, O'Reilly, Kane, and Nylander are the core of a championship team...those guys are all here because of the tank. Just sayin.

I for 1 am sure as hell glad we don't have to watch Stafford/Pominville/Vanek all watch our goalie get his ass ran over and not do anything, that was a weak group. It's heading in the right direction, the only bad thing about rebuilds is now you have to wait for the kids to grow up a little bit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.